Sign in to follow this  
VIP

Shirt Vinyl(names and numbers) base pricing

Just wanted to see what everyone else is charging for heat pressing numbers and names on the back of shirts. I had an order of 50 recently and used Easyweed. I charged $2.00 for the numbers and $2.00 for the names. I spent $37 each for 15"x5yard rolls(needed 4 rolls). I made $50 on just the vinyl which does not seem worth it with all the time I spent weeding.

So my question is what are you charging if you do it? I am trying to get a general idea so I know if I am in the ball park. I don't want to run people off with too high prices obviously, but I am not going to do this for free either.

Go through Transfer Express and they will do the names for you for a couple bucks each. Ready to iron on.

Good thought but that's not what I want to do. I have a cutter in house and want to have the ability to re-do something if it gets messed w/o waiting for a new one to come in the mail.

I have used stahls before and they charged me $4.00 for a pre-layed out name/number combo plus shipping.

Guest fivestar

I charge $5.00 for name and number (2"x9.5" name, 6" number) for single color and $7.50 for dual color.  I can get 2 names and numbers out of the width of multicut which is 20" wide.

I just went thru the same thing. Had 50 T shirts (Gildan 50/50 5.3 oz) w a LC logo and names/numbers (2.5" names/8"numbers) on back. When I figured it out it just didn't make sense to cut them. I ordered everything thru Transfer Express. I wondered how you all do names/numbers? There is too much waste if all done at once. So do you just cut all the names first and then apply numbers one at a time after laying them out as close as possible to cut, to save on waste? Don't know if this will help but I charged $15 a one color design front/back as described above. I charge the same whether it is transfers or vinyl.

Guest fivestar

I put a 1" space between name and number and cut it that way.  When I first started out I was ganged them close together, but the time it took to align them up wasn't worth that extra inch I saved so I just started doing it that way.

When I do dual colors I gang the top color because when you press the base color there is a little shrinkage so the top color does line up anyways, so I gang them and place them individually on the base color.

Thanks makes sense, I'll try that if I get a 2 color. Do you just throw away the 6 in or so that is left over? Does multicut hold up well and feel like screened material does? One more, where do you get the multicut? I've been using Eco, Thermo, and Spectra.....I like Spectra Eco the best; do you feel multicut is better. Hmmmm now that I asked that last question isn't it you that doesn't care for Imprintables Spectra from the other forum??

Guest fivestar

LMAO yes that's me, I wouldn't give Imprintable's the sweat off my !#%@s.  Multicut and Thermoflex look and feel indentical.  You can get multicut from www.jotopaper.com

As for the extra, there is none.  9.5" times 2 equals 19".  The numbers are 6" high and 9.5" wide, unless it's a single number then there a little excess.

Fivestar, that's awful small isn't it? I was worried about 8" numbers being to small. I can't imagine putting a 6" one on there especially on a 2XL or larger. I also use 14" long for names.

Guest fivestar

Nope, never had one person say anything.  I take it you're talking about regular t-shirts for like little league baseball, softball teams or parents wearing a shirt to support their kid in sports.  Now if you're talking about say a football jersey then that would be too small but those are whole different animals.

Thx Fivestar, I saw Joto at the last show and picked up some info I'll check them out. They also had some some type of ink jet transfer paper I wanted to check out too.

VIP, I sometimes use 6 " numbers, really depends on the look the client wants. I usually split the middle and make the names 11".

I'll do up a 6" and see what it looks like. Thanks guys.

Anyone else have pricing guidelines for these?

1st post so be kind!

Here is what we do.  We cut the names out and use stock numbers from Stahls.  Seems like a whole lot less waste on that end. I get about 1 team with a little less than a yard of material. Figure the stuff cost about 9-10 bucks a yard and if I get 12 players out of it I will get about 42.00.  Make a little bit of money.  The #'s are cheap for a packs of 10.

But then again it took a while to get a variety of all the colors of numbers in stock.  When a new color come about that someone wants we just order packs of those #'s along with the film.

To lay out we use the name that is still attached to the carrier from stahls, center that and add the # below all of that.  Heat press everything at 1 time.

Here is what we charge

For shirts that we printed for our customers.

$3.50 per name and $2.00 per number (1 or 2 #'s)  so total of$5.50 each

For shirts that were brought in to us from someone else we charge.

$1.00 per letter and $2.00 per digit on the #'s.

BTW----love this site and glad I found it.

Jon

Welcome Jon

I thought about doing it that way too. I figured less vinyl waste with the names and Transfer Express numbers are cheap enough. I wondered though if you could see the difference in materials once applied? I have an order coming Monday where they added a few names after I had already put in the bulk of the order to TE. So I was going to do exactly what you said, cut the extra names and use the TE numbers. Just didn't want it looking different than the others. Thanks for the pricing info too, helps to see if we are all close to the same page.

Tory,

I use the same material for each.  Stahls thermofilm.  You can order the #'s in this and then you can order rolls of it also.  I think it would look kinda funny if they were 2 different materials. 

Also found out rather quick not to use the econofilm from stahls...found out the hard way, but won't do it again.  I haven't ordered from TE, so I'm not sure on what there film is like.  But I can vouch for stahl's, they have many different materials that will pretty much stick to any kind of material you can think of.

For cost, I "think" we are the lowest in town but not by much, from what I hear from folks. 

Jon

TE uses plastisols, same screenprinters use. I don't like Eco from Stahls either.... too thick.

Oh, they're screen printed transfers.  You will have some different texture then if you cut the names out of vinyl and use screened #'s. 

If you think the eco is thick you should see the thermofilm.  That was why my customers didn't like the econo, it was too thin and some shirt color showed threw on the white #'s.  So we switched to thermo.  These thick #'s and letters are commom here in our town, you never see the screened ones.

Sounds like strike through, are you sure the pressure wasn't too much on the press?

It's interesting how different people like the look/feel of different materials. I myself like the Spectra Eco from Imprintables. I purchased Eco from Stahls (local for me) thinking it was the same thing.....not. And yes, the Thermofilm is also thick, but necessary for athletics.