hairyconiption

Writting on Cloth, Cutting tinfoil

Just thought I would pass this along, at the request of my mother-in-law, I tried writting on some material that she is later going to sew onto something else, to get the plotter to write on the fabric I took backing paper, squeegied it on and then took a marker and after wrapping it in masking tape to make it big enoigh, put it into the penholder. I set my speed to 4 (to allow the ink to flow) and my pressure to about 50 and it wrote wonderfully on the fabric.

At the request of someone from Utah State university I also tried cutting tinfoil, although this might over time dull the blade, i put transfer paper on the tinfoil and carefully squeegied it out as well (no wrinkles, I am so proud of myself) and set the pressure down to 30 and the speed to 12 and away it cut, taking it off was a bit slow, but it came out in one peice and actually looked cool, now if only I could figure out a way to make money out of cut tinfoil.

Heres an idea for tinfoil...

Make precut shapes for specific bowls or what not....

Then advertise it as no waste tin foil...

Youd probably make a fortune, LOL

Hey, They bottle water right???

Thats a good idea. I could just cut out circles and sell them as one size fits all tinfoil lids... Ha ha ha..

Or mabey I could figure out a good hat pattern and sell tinfoil hats. That might make me even more money..... hmmmmm.

Guest fivestar

The sad part is, all these would probably make you a small fortune.  People buy anything...:huh:

Hello,

I am interested in cutting thin carbon fiber (and aluminum, brass foils), and your experience with tin foil gives me some hope.

I just have a quick question.  Why was it necessary to put transfer paper on to the foil?

What exactly is a transfer paper?  Isn't that just a shiny paper?  (I am very new to this)

Thanks.

Guest fivestar

Transfer paper is similiar to masking tape, you use it to transfer the vinyl to the sustrate (banner, signs, ect) hence the name transfer tape.  I would say the reason they used the transfer tape for the backing is so the blade doesn't cut through the foil and ruin the strip on the plotter.

The transfer paper is exactly as was just said, masking paper. By putting it on the fabric, tinfoil or what ever you are able to add a bit of stiffnes so the material doesn't bunch as well if you cut all the way through your material (what ever material you are cutting) it will get stuck up on the machine because there is no longer an attachment to the roller wheels. Good luck, tell us if you can think of something useful to do with it.