joshuahodges

Cutting nonvinyl material

Hello I would like to ask you folks some questions about the MH365. The Surface physics group here at Utah State University is looking at purchasing this cutter for sample preparation. We are will be cutting samples that range from thickness of .0005" to .005". The first question I have is when cutting these polymers do I need some sort of backing, do I need to tape the material down to this backing before running it through the plotter. The second question is has anyone tried cutting aluminum foil with this. We do not plan on cutting a lot of aluminum foil but it would save us time and money if it could.

I guess before purchasing this cutter, I would like to know if it would do the job we need it to do.

Thanks Josh Hodges

Hello Again,

So here is what I have found. Cutting tin foil is not a problem, as long as it is put onto backing material. I just used transfertape and squegied it on. I only did a peice about 6 inches by 1 foot and was able to put it onwithout any wrinkles. I dropped the cutting pressure down to 20 and it cut just fine, it was a bit difficult to weed, but by going really really slow I was able to do it. I hope that helps, if you have any more questions or material experiments you would like me to give a go, I am more than willing to see what I can do, but am limited to what I have around. Good luck and go Aggies

Perfect thanks, The only question I have is was/is the tin foil easy to take off the transfer tape, or does it rip??? It sounds like we will be getting one of these very shortly. The other materials we will be cutting is stuff like teflon, kapotn, PTFE. and other polymers which I dont envision us having a problem with.  Thanks for your help.

As long as I went slow it wasn't a problem to get it off of the tape. When applying wet vinyl you often spray the backing material with water, or water and a drop or two of soap and this helps release the tape even better, let it sit for just a moment. Even without wetting, though I had to be careful I was able to peel it off ok.

Good luck

What about using a Low Tack Application tape... Or... How about paint mask? Or how about the left over pieces of thick plastic from thermoflex? Just a thought...

sounds like it may be better off using a flatbed plotter... since on a flat bed, the head moves and not the substrate there for eliminating the need for a backing device

I am just using paper masking material, it can be bought at any number of vendors. I will not say where I got mine becuase I am so frusterated with them right now..... sign@#$#house.com