Sign in to follow this  

solid backing vs glass application-letters reversed?

Can you take a picture and post it either here, or on photobucket of something freshly cut and weeded before putting application tape on?

ok, solution...of sorts

As Jenny suggested, I checked(x) the mirror box in the cutting mode and while what then appears on screen is a reversible word (in this case) does cut correctly ( I can read the word correctly looking at the vinyl side (whereas it read correct through the white backing paper before)

i don't understand though; does this mean I'll be creating words that read correctly (all I'm making are riders for my commercial real estate signs), then I'll go to cutting mode, look at them reversed, hit "cut" and they'll come out good??  this is crazy......

another thing, it seemed that the cutter took the vinyl from the other side after I checked (x) "mirror", but then switched to the original side...I know, it all sounds far-fetched, but i spent beaucoup hours working on this stuff with no real payoff yet.

Thanks Jenny, Pittsburgh and last guy.

Go Phillies!!!!

Also..btw.. have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software?  I would definitely try that if it's truly cutting the way you are, and you're doing EVERYTHING else correctly.

I can tell you  that I've had software that needed to be reinstalled to fix issues.  Just the other day, I had to reinstall SignCut X2 because the max weeding box was some crazy low decimal of a number and wouldn't let me set it larger than like 1/16th of an inch..

Software can sometimes do weird things...  Uninstall/Reinstall it....

you know Ken from US Cutter had me re-install yesterday; do multiple installations have to occur with these programs

it's interesting in a weird way; it seems like the software has a lot of flaws; maybe the industry doesn't have enough users to warrant continual updates or "service packs" as the big guys do(MS); I ran into this issue with real estate forms that have gone from paper to computer via software co's;  there are many flaws in the software and I feel like I should be paid $250/hour to be continually pointing out the flaws to these companies

confused here

Ok.  I'm gonna give you something that I think you need here...  Like it or not... but Well, with all due respect..  You've been doing signs for what..about 48 hours?  How are you in any way, shape, or form qualified to point out flaws in the software or how would you know how many updates or software builds an application has been done to get the software to the version YOU are using today...

You're dealing with a software analyst here... go figure :)  

The software is 1/10th of the battle... the other 9/10th is all the crap, shared DLLs and junk on your computer.  The designer can't possibly test it with everything that YOU specifically have installed on your machine... so there are oddities that can occur.  It's one of those things.  

Microsoft earns enough to track down and try to resolve each oddity.  As a realtor, I wouldn't expect you to understand that end of it no more than you would expect me to understand points, home warranties and CL100's

Moving forward, yes.. I've had to even re-install microsoft programs several times.  There could be shared dll files within SB that are conflicting or something.  It's not out of the realm of reasonable thinking...

I think it's interesting that you weren't having these issues while you cut a couple things with Ken on the phone, did you?  Did you cut words then?  

You can also try going to SignCut x2 and downloading that piece of software too, provided you done start bashing that software too.  They have an excellent online support system and Kimon and those guys will have you up and running with their software very quickly.  Bear in mind though...it's just software to cut with, not design with...  If you're unhappy with the free version of SBE you got, you could always pay for more commercial software (CorelX3, Illustrator) and learn to use those, with SignCut.

I personally don't use SBE.  I have the CD around here somewhere...  I Perfer using Either Corel X3 or Flexi or Illustrator to design with, then using using SignCut to cut the vinyl.

How long was realtor school?  The school of hard knocks is a wonderful school...but the tuition is going to cost you patience, reading, and learning.  

If you're just installing it overtop of itself, you're not uninstalling/reinstalling...

Personally, ANY time I reinstall something, I take the following steps.

1.  Uninstall Application

2.  Reboot machine (START > SHUTDOWN > RESTART)

3.  Install application

4.  Reboot machine and test the application

I would not do it any other way... yes, it might be overkill for some stuff... but I would, in your case, DEFINITELY do it that way.

Your other option is to purchase FlexiSign...

Signblazer was in a constant state of development, updated regularly. IT's owner and creator,Jerry Bonham died suddenly while on a trip to China to visit with cutter manufacturers,in an effort to make the software even better. I have known Jerry to stay up all night writing a driver for just one person who needed it.

To put it simply,when Jerry died,there was nobody left to take over the reigns. The business had to be sold to settle his estate. There was a lawsuit filed by a former employee to stop the sale. It is curently in the Australian court system. Thus,there have been no updates.There are no bug fixes.

And Steve,you hit it right on the money...Jerry himself told me that the problem is NOT so much in the software most of the time,but in the computer that it is running on.

AS it currently stands,anyone who is serious about using the cutter for business should either get used to the way things are,or fork out another $100 to get Flexi Starter.

3 years ago I think the software offered with most cutters was ArtCut. Try doing much of anything with that.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the uninstall/install procedure.

I wouldn't consider attempting to cut simple words from vinyl doing signs.

Eventhough you say your a programmer, I can rest assured I have more experience working with computers than you do. Go watch TV or something.

Banner John, thanks for that history on SignBlazer. It makes sense.

I could tell something was a miss with the software.

yeah, see... There ya go.  Now you done it... You called me a Programmer.  Them is fighting words...

Yah, you probably have more experience with computers than I do...   :)  You sound like a realtor or something  :)

Thanks for the laugh....  I'll let you get back to designing your stuff with a mirror so you can get it to cut right....

Maybe you just need to hire Ken to talk to you on the phone while you cut vinyl?  haha

:)

Hi Steve.

Eventhough you say your a programmer, I can rest assured I have more experience working with computers than you do. Go watch TV or something.

How do you manage to make a living with an attitude like that? I've been on these forums for almost 2 years,quite a bit of it a mod...and I have NEVER seen anyone more disagreeable or unlikeable post here. people try to help you and you insult them. You talk DOWN to everyone.

They sell stick-on vinyl letters at Walmart.

yeah, see... There ya go.  Now you done it... You called me a Programmer.  Them is fighting words...

Yah, you probably have more experience with computers than I do...   :)  You sound like a realtor or something   :)

Thanks for the laugh....  I'll let you get back to designing your stuff with a mirror so you can get it to cut right....

Maybe you just need to hire Ken to talk to you on the phone while you cut vinyl?  haha

:)

Thanks for the good laugh Steve

Hi Steve.

How do you manage to make a living with an attitude like that? I've been on these forums for almost 2 years,quite a bit of it a mod...and I have NEVER seen anyone more disagreeable or unlikeable post here. people try to help you and you insult them. You talk DOWN to everyone.

They sell stick-on vinyl letters at Walmart.

i'm with you B.J. :) :)

Computer experience?  When is the last time you updated your website....1995?   http://www.422commrealty.com/

Lets face it, you're a real estate agent trying to save a buck by making his/her own signs and website.  You have no patience or respect for people, which is probably reflected in all of the real estate you sell.  If you weren't so arrogant and negative about everything, you problems would have been solved days ago.

actually it looks like he updated his website almost 2 years ago. But it also looks like he sold a nuclear power plant which is cool.

(sarcasm)

Computer experience?  When is the last time you updated your website....1995?   http://www.422commrealty.com/

Lets face it, you're a real estate agent trying to save a buck by making his/her own signs and website.  You have no patience or respect for people, which is probably reflected in all of the real estate you sell.  If you weren't so arrogant and negative about everything, you problems would have been solved days ago.

I actually was looking at that site the other night when I clicked back and saw his post about how I should go watch TV and that he had more computer experience....

I wasn't gonna say nothing, but TOO funny (and true) SNLSD

I am no one to have fun at others expense but this is just to easy! 

I know exactly what his problem is and why everything is back wards

either

A) The problem exists between the chair and the monitor.

or

:thumbsup: It is am ID 10 T Error (IDIOT)

and as for the web site it looks good compared to me 8 year old cousins web site, well no actually his is better.

422, Just so you know this is a forum that contains A LOT of knowledge and you might learn something if you took your head out of your a$$, These people are trying to help you and you act like you know it all.  Good luck with what ever venture life takes you on next.

Ahh .... so this is the thread that another member referred to.

Anyway ... 422, if you still have your cutter and are still having mirroring issues, please check your cutter setting in the setup option in the cut screen. Admitted, while I was a noob, everything laid out correctly on the screen, but when I went to cut it, everything was mirrored. However, I didn't bother the application tape after that since it's not what I wanted. Back to the issue - the mirrored option was NOT selected, yet the cutter still cut it mirrored. The solution was that I was using the wrong cutter driver. Make sure that you have the correct cutter selected. After Ken told me which driver to use, since at that time there was no LP driver, I was good to go and life was great. Give that a try and let us know how it goes for you.