Sign in to follow this  
snlsd

PCUT PROBLEM!! SOLVED!!!

I am having major problems with my PCUT 630.  Half way through the cutting, it decides to stop and cut a large X right through the entire job.  The first time it completely finished and then cut a huge triangle through the same job.  The second try and it cut the X when it was halfway.  It never finished cutting the rest of the job.  Either way, both pieces are ruined because of this. 

Ok, I tried it again. With the pen plotter on the back side of the vinyl.  (I didn't want to waste any more vinyl) 

Same thing happened.  Big "X" where there shouldn't be one.  This time the pen went to the far right side against the red button.

post-3161-12986525605699_thumb.jpg

post-3161-12986525618317_thumb.jpg

Can you post the actual file you ran through the plotter just so we can rule out and say it's not a hidden white X in the file or something :thumbsup:

Well, I misread what you said then.  For some reason I thought you were saying it was a Triangle on a different file.  If it's the same file, and it's doing a triangle then some X's... maybe a memory issue or some hardware thing? 

I was able to save as an .eps and cut with Flexi...it is cutting fine. That is a lot of cutting...it could be that the static electriciy is building up and causing the random cuts.I have seen it happen. Is your cutter grounded?

good point John.  I was fooling around trying to get it converted to EPS since I'm SBE dumb (right now). 

Maybe try cutting it down to 2 or 3 files to see if it still does it also.  Does it do it on other stuff you cut?  If it's just happening with this one file, and the file itself is good, I'd break it into smaller files and see what happens.

Triangle and X's where from the same file. 

Grounded?  No. 

I cut a much larger sign the other day with no problems.

I was hoping to make it all one piece since I'm mailing this out as an RTA.

You could always canniblize an old toy or something if you don't have any wire laying around...  Try this.. seriously..

Ground it, and wipe (gently) the vinyl down with a fabric softener, then run it through the machine and see what happens.

Has it  cut the mystery shape at the same point each time?

Triangle and X's where from the same file. 

Grounded?   No. 

I cut a much larger sign the other day with no problems.

I was hoping to make it all one piece since I'm mailing this out as an RTA.

It's not so much the size of the sign as the amount of contact the blade has with the vinyl. The sign you posted took a LONG time to cut and that is what builds up the static electricity. Try grounding it.

Well, I grounded the cutter to the stand with a piece of wire.  Connected the screw on the bottom of the machine to a screw on the side of the stand.  I also wiped the vinyl with fabric sheets.  I don't know which of these helped, but it worked.  Either way, I finally finished and my office smells nice :thumbsup:  Hopefully the random "X" of death won't return anytime soon.  Problem solved thanks to all of your help.  I can't thank you enough.

I don't want to point out the obvious, but it seems like this is something that would be printed in the instructions or included in the box.  Something like:  "Caution: Your PCUT must be grounded or your machine will do weird things" Or maybe a how to lesson on grounding it properly for those you may not know what grounding is and how it works.  Without this forum, I would be on my 10th roll of vinyl.  Or worse, my cutter would have been damaged from the static buildup.  Just my 2 cents.

Yes, but it seldome happens with the PCut, which is odd in this case. I have seen it alot with the Refine MH series, which used to come with a ground wire, and there are notes in the setup docs. that mention the static issue.

Excellent news... NOW....something we must discuss...  PICTURES of the finished JOB!!

threadpolice2.jpg

In US Cutter's defense...static has been something that has affected other brand plotters too.  While some are less prone to it than others... you'll be happy with it grounded probably...

Having a good clean smelling office is a nice plus.  We actually put a sheet under the seat in the "Family Truckster" to keep er smelling fresh :)

Awesome thinking guys :o. I havent had this issue with my Pcut, but I think I'm going to ground it to the stand just in case.