Toografik4U

North Carolina- Hi 'Im the New Guy

Hi everyone.  Im from North Carolina, I recently graduated from college with a bs in Graphic Communications.  I have been doing graphics since I was a freshman in highschool.  Mostly all my background is in printing or web.... not sign/vinyl making.  I am currently shopping for a plotter.  I stumbled across this forum about two weeks ago and soaking up knowledge ever since.  I have been working my tail off over the past year to afford stuff that could make me money at home (imac, software, etc.).  Needless to say but when you start out it is slow makings at first.  I slowly adapted to the learning curve of the real world.  I work super hard (pretty much all the time),  I hope i can make this choice pay off for itself.  seeing some success stories really helped. i just want to say  thanks to the forum members who have helped me already and to the ones who help me in the future.  Thanx.

~Jamie

Guest kenya

Jamie, your in the right place for learning all about the sign biz.

WELCOME.

I sure hope it works out.  I have had people ask me for years if I did vinyl graphics or if I knew someone who does.  I hope these same people will be around when I actually do get a vinyl cutter.  It's funny how you can have plenty of opportunity in front of you and not really see it during that moment.  One of my favorite hubs on this forum is the pricing/business section, it is nice to see input from people who have been doing this for a while.

welcome! Where in NC are you? I'm in Tenn but just 20 minutes from the NC border.

Asheville NC.....WNC....In the mountains.....

I am in Johnson City...about an hour from you. I love Asheville! If you live HERE you have to go to Asheville for any kind of cultural experience.

My Father and I used to go camping in Johnson City.  I love it there.  Asheville is great too! I've lived here my whole life except the four years I went to school.  It's completely changed in the last five or six years.  Place is really growing.  It is nice to see there are "local" people who are on this forum.

Yes, welcome.

Once you start cutting vinyl, you will get addicted, lol. I am a Graphics major as well, Been creative my whole life. Love doing cut vinyl. I am working on a store front window down by the beach in san clemente, cant complain about this gig.

Welcome Jamie, there is alot of support here and plenty of goofing around, when we get the chance!

Jenny

well I am very new to vinyl/signs but I am very good at printing and design/web software (adobe).  I am a prepress manager for a litho printer.  So day in and day out I handle InDesign and illustrator files all the time.  I focus on color separation and color management.  I hope a lot of what I already know about printing will translate to making vinyll graphics.

Welcome and good luck!

Great site loads of good info here enjoy!!

Keith

Welcome Jamie,

Similar story here...I have a bs in graphic comm, have been mostly print and web. I am graphic designer at an automotive marketing company. The automotive industry in Michigan is quite dicey and a lot of my friends are losing their jobs, so I thought I should learn a few more tricks. I bought the vinyl cutter about six months ago to try some new things. I am still learning, but getting it together. Just think vinyl instead of ink...Great forum here. Good luck!

Scott