Sign in to follow this  
snlsd

BOAT....need help

I have a customer that wants me to do the graphics on his boat.  Basically he wants to cover up the graphics on the bottom. (see pic below) 

This is a first for me, so naturally I have a few questions.

1)  What is the easiest way to remove the old graphic?

2) Can I simply cover up the graphic with new vinyl?

3) What vinyl would you recommend?

4)  Where is a good resource for boat graphics?

5) Where can I find a boat outline?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

post-3161-12986525509948_thumb.jpg

post-3161-12986525523015_thumb.jpg

Not following you.

Are you talking about the maroon color in the picture?  Kind of like a maroon 'swoosh' ?

I would NOT cover the old vinyl...

BTW, as far as the outlines of the boat go...

I never use those things. I have a couple CD's laying around.  I just take a good picture of the vehicle from the side and design it right on a picture of their car/boat

Helps visualize better than an outline...

It turns out that the bottom swoosh is actually painted.  It has since faded and they want to cover it up.  So if I have a picture of the boat, how do you go about designing something that will cover it up.  I would hate myself if I cut it out and it didn't fit when I got to the job.  Of course, I would measure the boat and scale the picture to match. Are there any good graphics out there that anyone could share to maybe dress it up a little more?

That's how I would do it.  Find a feature on the boat, and scale it so that feature was the correct size.  I can tell you that it's NOT easy and you WILL probably go through some vinyl.  Are they taking the boat out of the water and dropping it off to you?

Even after finding that feature, it's going to take ALOT of double, triple checking.  I personally don't like these types of jobs....I would rather do something that used less vinyl and wasn't so precise...

Then again, if you ask for the right $$, then It's worth it  :thumbsup:

whats the model of the boat I have some but few and again they aren't all sized.

I would measure the rear of the stripe and then the overall length and would just cut freehand doing a wet installation. I mean isn't it really a big rectangle coming to a point.

The boat is a 1988 larson DC cuddy cabin. 

What would you guys charge to do both sides and the back in a solid color.  Boat is 19 feet long, not sure of the back width.  I estimated that I would probably need two rolls of 24" x 10 yds at $54 per roll for Oracal 751 Cast.  How many hours would you estimate for a job this size?

It turns out that the bottom swoosh is actually painted.  It has since faded and they want to cover it up.  So if I have a picture of the boat, how do you go about designing something that will cover it up.  I would hate myself if I cut it out and it didn't fit when I got to the job.  Of course, I would measure the boat and scale the picture to match. Are there any good graphics out there that anyone could share to maybe dress it up a little more?

If you are talking the painted section under the bow rail......if it is just faded, a good rub out w/ rubbing compound should bring the burgandy back to life......as for covering the whole section w/ vinyl.....I, myself, wouldn't do it......maybe after it is rubbed out, put some graphics on it to dress it up some, but to cover the whole shot, I wouldn't  do it.....make sure if they do have it rubbed out, make sure they don't wax it before you putting the graphics on it...and clean it well w/ alcohol....the residue from the rubbing compound might cause you a few problems.

What is the name of the boat?  That might help give us some ideas of what type of graphic to suggest.

Just an idea

Margaret

Cutting Edge

Boat is a 1988 larson DC cuddy cabin

The main concern is the fading of the paint.  And yes, the bottom under the rail.