captonzoom

Copyright??

Ok, So riddle me this Batman.  I just went to the Octoberfest where I live, I was unable to set up shop due to time restraints, but there was a vendor there selling license plates with, well lets just say copyrighted logos.  I asked him how he does it and he told me that he bought a CD (said it was expensive) that granted him the right to reproduce any Copyright/Tradmarked logos etc. that was on the CD.  For some reason, I cant see that being that easy.  He also said, for example, say you own a Harley Davidson, well you own the bike therefore you are able to have the Harley Logo reproduced from a non-licensed person.  Ah, huh.  Believe that and I will sell you a bridge. 

Enlighten me guys.

Anyways, I was able to hand out some flyers that I made this morning.  I was able to get a few people taht want me to design some magnets and banners and window decals for them.

Cheers!!

the guy was full of it. You need a 'license agreement' with each and every individual copyright owner in order to do what he does.

Whoever sold him the CD was whistling up his backside too.

I KNEW IT was too good to be true.  He''s like, "I pay $4200.00 a year for a cd subscription, and my lawyer said it was ok"  Ah huh, riiiiight. 

Nice try.  He also said that those companies would NEVER go after the little guy.

Ah huh, When I was on the moon...

Cheers John!!

What about high school logos?  Is there any copyrights to be worried about here?

What about high school logos?  Is there any copyrights to be worried about here?

the high school right up the street from me is currently suing a local company for infringing on their trademark...so I guess it might depend on the school and whether they have bothered to trademark their logo,mascot,etc.

LOL that poor mis-guided individual... I have alot of the grahic cd's that he is refering to and they are not giving any permissions nore do they claim to. The only loop that we have found is to change atleast 3 major aspects of the logo so it becomes a one of a kind and opens the restriction up. This is they only way that we have found to get away with using logos.

I guess this guy is thinking like Honda did and built a bike that had the same seat height as Harley did. Honda found out the hard way and so will he when the right person see's what he is doing!! :)

ABsoLUTely!!!  He'll get his someday.  I personally don't think it is worth my time or my good name to do things like that.  "Know what I mean Vern"

Cheers!!

What a good question. I think years ago it wouldn't be such a big deal but like the music industry with the downloading music you just never know anymore. I would like to know if anyone knows where you can go and get the copywrite for sport logo's so you can make the decals for them.

Thanks

Christi

Thanks for the info. A guy asked me if I could do the MN vikings head for the hood of his truck. I take it that I can't without the license agreement from them. I am just sad about it

Tell me about it.  I wish there was an easier way.  I could make sooo much money by reproducing those types of things, but not at the expense of losing my business.

I KNEW IT was too good to be true.  He''s like, "I pay $4200.00 a year for a cd subscription, and my lawyer said it was ok"  Ah huh, riiiiight. 

Nice try.  He also said that those companies would NEVER go after the little guy.

Ah huh, When I was on the moon...

Cheers John!!

Maybe he routed his "cd subscription" fees through his lawyer. That being the case, the lawyer should have just told him that it was an even $5k/year.  :thumbsup:

Okay so I have been reading in this forum all morning about the copyright issues. I understand that you can't use logo's such as harley, nike, sports logos and that sort of thing, but what about the vector art you buy off websites or just find? Like the free graphic site on here? I am talking about more basic things like flames, animals, all that kind of thing is that legal? I have seen someone say that if you change 3 things on it then you make it your own. I guess I don't understand what is meant exactly and for all the vector you have to change 3 things to resell it? I know I have said before that I own a cricut and you need to buy cartridges in order for your cricut to cut anything. Out of the cartridges you can buy you have disney, disney font and others. I personally don't have those ones but does that mean I can't cut and sell them wether it is out of vinyl or on a scrapbook page that I might make and sell? Oh my I am so confused..lol.

Thank you all for all your help and wisdom!

Christi

If it free to download,and says 'royalty free' then you are fine. If you pay for it, and it is a legitimate site,you are fine. If it says for non-commercial usuage,you are fine as long as you don't put it on something to sell. If it is a generic thing such as a flame, you are probably fine. If it doesn't have a "T" next to it,or an 'r.' you can usually assume that it is NOT trademarked or copyrighted. The law requires that if it us, it must be marked as such.

Most of the stuff you buy on CD's is public domain,royalty free,if it is marketed by a legitimate company.

Sometimes it depends on the word itself. "Coke' with a capital C is a trademark. If you make a T-shirt that says 'coke will kill you'(meaning the drug) it is not.

IT gets complicated but generally speaking,if you use something that you are not sure about on a small scale, if someone does own the copyright to it,they will just send you a letter telling you to stop using it. IF they find out.

A lot of things that people THINK are copywrited,in fact, are not. Apple computers tried to claim that they owned the 'right click' mouse feature and you see how far they got with that. If a company sees widespread usage of their trademark or copyright and fails to take action,then they lose the right to it.

Thanks bannerjohn that does help clearify a lot of things. I live in such a small town area that I doubt anything would happen but I want to make sure and stay legal!

Christi