Explain to me grounding.  I understand grounding very well when it comes to towers and radios and electricity.  But explain why the machine needs grounded, the pros and cons of the machine being grounded, what the repercusions are if it is not grounded and is grounding to the stand enough and why?

Thanks!!

Every friday is "National Poets Day" P.O.E.T.S

not sure about all of that, but i am pretty sure that if you plug the power cord into a properly wired outlet, the machine should be properly grounded. my2p

bb

Why ground it? Well as far as I know, it has to be grounded because the vinyl creates static, I know as I have felt it, specially with shirt vinyl. That static can affect the cutter's carriage. I afected mine cuz I didnt ground it and had to replace it. When you ground it, static will flow somewhere else, not the carriage.

I grounded mine to a stand screw as told by Ken.

Joe

I agree with "cutme".  If the electrical connection has proper ground, which plugs into the machine, how does grounding to a metal stand that sits on a floor provide adiquite grounding?

Interesting discussion...

What is US Cutters official position on this?  I didn't see anything in the manual regarding grounding... I don't recall...

KEN?

I dont know. I know as much of grounding as I know sports (and I took a bat to a volleyball game once)  :thumbsup: Thats just what I was told.

Joe

Nice.  I'm  used to grounding big towers and radio equipment, thats easy.  I just dont understand why grounding to a stand that is not grounded itself would make a difference.

Oh well. 

When grounding a light fixture in a house, there is a ground wire that goes back to the panel and an additional wire tied to a ground screw which is screwed into the metal fixture box. Using the same analogy, perhaps it is the least path of resistance and an added safeguard.

Heres a techie way of saying the same thing:

Ground  The common reference point for the voltage of a home

The MH series of cutters come with a ground wire. The carriage is controlled magnetically, and static electricity and magnets do not get along. The ground wire helps channel the static away from the cutter from my understanding, so it is especially needed whent he unit is in a carpeted area, or area with high humidity, or if you have the uctter pulling from a tight roll of vinyl without loosening enough material off of the roll for the job you are cutting. I have seen cases where static electricity knocked the carriage out of serivce, so it is recommended you use the ground wire.

The MH series of cutters come with a ground wire.

Um.. Ken, are you 100% sure about that?  There was defintiely no ground wire in the box I got on the 12th.  I DID see a reference to it in the instructions that one should have been in the box ....but it also referenced ArtCut 2005 so I thought maybe you guys had removed it from packaging...

mine did..it was very short,easily overlooked...which I did. I don't have carpet,mine has never been grounded. Any bit of wire will do. There is nothing special about it.

There definitely wasn't one in mine...  I have all the packaging still. 

There was no reference in the instructions about where it goes either.  I mean, I know how to ground something, but not seeing it in there or instructions in the book kinda disproved the need for it even though it was in the parts list.

from any one of the screws on the bottom of the cutter..to the stand. My cutter actually has the thing you attach it to...just stick the wire in,and crimp it.

if your cutter is in a room with carpet or a lot of moisture...ground it. Neither of mine are grounded and never any problems. YOu can achieve the same result by touching a metal part of the cutter every now and then to discharge the static electricity. YOu even get used to the shock you get after awhile.

I know people who drive with no insurance and never get a ticket  :thumbsup:

I certainly would ground it.  Better safe than sorry, yanno :thumbsup:

I have to agree with BannerJohn on this one...My Refine would do the "line of death" every so often...I read the post about the grounding cable, once it was installed the cutter never did it again...Of course I was using 48" vinyl each time it did happened, maybe more static electricity....

if your cutter is in a room with carpet or a lot of moisture...ground it. Neither of mine are grounded and never any problems. YOu can achieve the same result by touching a metal part of the cutter every now and then to discharge the static electricity. YOu even get used to the shock you get after awhile.

if you are getting a shock when you touch your machine, then it should be grounded. you are lucky it still works!

bb

if you are getting a shock when you touch your machine, then it should be grounded. you are lucky it still works!

bb

Hi , I see you visit the SignBlazer forum , as I do  :thumbsup: . I'm hoping they get back up & running . For the money , SignBlazer has & gives alot .

Does the grounding issue apply to all cutters ? I have a Copam & don't remember ever getting a shock , but have felt static across the vinyl .

Regards , Rodger

The ground cable used to be included in the little insert box of cables, etc. If they quit including it, maybe they have the unit grounded better fromt he inside? Not sure..