Sign in to follow this  
snlsd

NEED HELP WITH PCUT 630

Just got my PCUT setup and plugged in.  I've been playing with the software for a few days while I was waiting for FedEx to deliver it.  I followed through the directions and set up the driver and the COM settings.  When I go to cut, nothing happens.  Just says 'On Line' on the screen.  If there is anyone online tonight I would really appreciate the help. 

Well, I switched from USB to the Serial cable and it works now.  I'm currently cutting using the plotter pen because I don't have vinyl yet.  Seems to be working ok for now.

I have used the serial port from day one. I have heard of issues losing data during cuts and such when using a USB. Serial port from the start...NO issues at all.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:, we are all here to help so feel free to ask away.

By the way this is really addicting LOL

Have you had any problems with tracking with the vinyl.  I've read a lot of complaints about lettering being off by a few inches over long runs.

Vinyl tracking is only an issue until you get used to the cutter. It takes practice to get it setup right.  Tracking is always an issue with all friction feed plotters no matter what the price. I have a 630 and it works flawlessly. I won't take credit for this but, run the vinyl back and forth and adjust it until it tracks straight enough to do the job. Works every time. And yes the 9 pin serial connection is the one to use.

I read somewhere that people measure the front and back of the vinyl to make sure it is running straight.  I know the PCUT doesn't have a ruler in the back, but there is one in the front.  Is it helpful to measure before you run the vinyl back and forth to check the tracking?

Just watch the edge of it and you'll see the run out as it feeds back and forth on the ruler. No need for any other. I like having individual roller engagement since it gives much more finite adjustments.

My advice is to let the vinyl "bank" (like wet wallpaper) a bit before cutting...unroll some of the vinyl and let it lay flat as long as possible...even if it's just hanging over the machine...it seems to cut better when it is not so curly...

My 2

Tenor,

Good point.  The one annoying thing is the leading edge of the vinyl always catches on the front of the cutter.  I'm probably going to put a piece of vinyl over the front edge so it will slide smoothly over it.

tracking. if your cutter has a stick (white, yellow, black) than you can try to initially line up the vinyl edge with that as a guideline. And like knob said, feed it forwards and backwards until you feel it tracks properly. You won't have to feed a whole lot to tell.

As far as it going off by a few inches? Wow, that's a LOT. Well, it is a lot depending on how the overall run is. It sounds more like the vinyl wasn't fed straight to start with.

If you're confident that the vinyl was straight, but then it started to drift, then it could be a problem with the pinch rollers itself. For that you can contact Ken.

Vinyl catching on the front of the cutter. I fixed that by putting a long strip of application tape over that useless edge. I personally think it wasn't designed to do anything beyond aesthetics. On the LP there's also another edge like that just behind the traction rollers. I put a strip of painters tape on that too.

I used a piece of black electrical tape over the gap on the front of my Pcut. You cant even see it unless you look SUPER close. As far as tracking goes, when I have a long run, I put the rollers on the outside edges of the vinyl. With the rollers down, I run the vinyl forward as far as the graphic I'm going to cut. With the rollers right on the edge its easier to see and adjust the media as needed. Do this a couple times and you'll be sure to get it nice and strait. Also be sure to not put the pinch roller over the center of the friction feeder. There is a smooth spot there and the vinyl will slide then bunch up ruining the media (found this out the hard way :o lol)

Slainte

lowone,

Thanks for the tip.  So far so good.  I haven't had any problems since this post.  A little practice sure helps out a lot.

Anytime :o

I have gotten SO many tips on here.

Just glad to have something to contribute.

Well, I've had a few good weeks without any problems.  I track the vinyl back and forth 2 or 3 times for long runs (48 - 84")  It tracks perfectly and maybe drifts a millimeter or two.  Then I start cutting and usually on the return run of the outline it starts to drift.  Usually 1/2 inch or so.  Right now I'm running 4 lines of text. Usually it starts with the first letter or two and then does the outline of the entire job.  The drift seems to effect the first letter or two with the alignment.  A few times the letters cut over each other and I had to make the bad letters over again.  I've learned to live with it up to this point, but I'm wondering if there is a fix.  Would 4 pinch rollers work?