Sign in to follow this  
m24

how do you tell the difference between contact paper and real decal vinyl?

i just bought some rolls of vinyl on ebay and i am a little nervous about what i got. there is no brand name on the back of the vinyl, but there are a bunch of tiny squares on the back. is it common for real vinyl to have these little squares on the back of the vinyl or am i looking at contact paper.  if it is vinyl what are the little squares for?

I use Oracal and it does have square but not so small, more like medium sized squares. I think those are to help you cutting or something like that.

I have had many different vinyls with squares on the back. NOne of it was shelf lining.

Cast vinyl is thinner than calendared,and can tear easily if it is old.

that's not shelf lining paper. Period.Too thick. But if you already bought it,you paid too much.That comes out to $40 with shipping for 20 yards.

There are a few manufacturers in China that make vinyl with squares on the back. I go through a LOT of vinyl...almost 70 yards today alone. I buy in lots of 15-20  50 yard rolls. I know vinyl.

I purchased some vinyl from a miami seller on Ebay and tried it once and gave it away.  It had a mix of small and larger green squares on the back and had a tough feel and was difficult to cut and weed.

I got 2 50 yard rolls..one black,one pink...from the same place. Once I got the settings right,it wasn't a problem with cutting or weeding. I used every inch of it.That was about a year ago...and so far,not a single complaint from any of the banner customers.

I go through a LOT of vinyl...almost 70 yards today alone.

Damn John...save some for the rest of us. 

You KNOW you can cut more than one thing on a roll, right  :thumbsup:

FDC,Avery, 3m....all are good and CAN be had through ebay. There are at least 2 regular sign supply companies that I know of that sell on ebay...both have been in business for many years. Earl Mich is one of them. I buy regularly from an ebay seller who sells  fresh cut-offs..usually FDC. I've tried them all, and FDC seems to be as good as any.

I had the same problem!!  DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY SELLER "vynil_windowtint_supply".  It is nothing but glorified Contact paper.  I need so inexpensive vinyl for a test project and ordered it.  BIG MISTAKE!!  I always buy Oracal.  Never again will I purchase anything else BUT Oracal or other HIGH END vinyls.  Not worth the time or money no matter how cheep.  Begged for a refund, which I got in 10 days, however it cost me $15.00 to have it shipped to me and $15.00 to ship back.  Payed basically $33.00 for the vinyl and $30.00 for shipping.  With that said, I could have purchased (2) 24"X 10yard rolls of vinyl and had it shipped for that price.

DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!!

I go through a LOT of vinyl...almost 70 yards today alone.

Damn John...save some for the rest of us. 

You KNOW you can cut more than one thing on a roll, right   :thumbsup:

LOL yeah and I use every inch. That's why I stock all sizes...11 inch text uses a 12" roll. I have 8,6,even 4" rolls for the smaller stuff. I just do a lot of banners.

I had the same problem!!  DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY SELLER "vynil_windowtint_supply".  It is nothing but glorified Contact paper.  I need so inexpensive vinyl for a test project and ordered it.  BIG MISTAKE!!  I always buy Oracal.  Never again will I purchase anything else BUT Oracal or other HIGH END vinyls.  Not worth the time or money no matter how cheep.  Begged for a refund, which I got in 10 days, however it cost me $15.00 to have it shipped to me and $15.00 to ship back.  Payed basically $33.00 for the vinyl and $30.00 for shipping.  With that said, I could have purchased (2) 24"X 10yard rolls of vinyl and had it shipped for that price.

DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!!

i bought the same stuff, same co............i use for freebies and test patterns.........nothing but ORACAL 651 from now on