Benr98

Paid before getting product made?

All this talk about some people some people not getting paid correctly for a job well done..brings a question to mind.

How many of you ask for payment up front?

50% down on large projects?

Trust everyone of your customers?

Just curious.

Jenny

30-50% down unless it is someone I know or a regular customer. Custom signage is hardly generic and you are just stuck with it if they don't pay.At least cover your expenses up front.

John

I agree atleast to cover your material. 

Thanks for responding John.

Jenny

There was a post no to long ago - Someone did some work and didn't get paid, the client put a stop payment on the check. He was pretty upset and I don't blame him.

Get the deposit, let it clear if it's a check, then do the work.

Peabody

Banner is right one again. Don't forget to include your travel and install cost into the deposit.

30-50% down unless it is someone I know or a regular customer. Custom signage is hardly generic and you are just stuck with it if they don't pay.At least cover your expenses up front.

John

B)

With one Caveat... I want at LEAST 50% down.  ESPECIALLY if it's someone I know.  I've run into that before where they think cause they know me, they can 'catch up with me'

I simply explain to the customer that "It's certainly NOT an issue of not having the material or not being able to afford something, but because this is custom work....etc etc"

50% deposit is very typical for the industry.

Ask for a deposit up front on every order. Insist on one with substantial orders where you must purchase materials. If a customer balks at leaving a deposit, I'd ask why. There are some legit reasons, but, I'd be leery nonetheless.

In the past I've had checks returned for insufficient funds from a doctor, a lawyer, a fitness center, several real estate agents and especially new businesses. Some people even fail to pick up the order at all. One time after calling a gazillion times on a phoned-in, one-day turnaround order that wasn't picked up after a week, I found out that the person actually ordered the same wood sign from several local shops and picked up from whoever finished first!

Often, the person you least expect will be the one to stiff you!

So far I have only been paid up front.  I haven't had any compliants so I guess I'll stick with this until it becomes an issue with a customer.  If anything, I would charge at least 50% down for customs.

The cutter wont power on till it gets 50% deposited into its little slot.

I run an ATV riding forum and use to get a bunch of shirts made up to sell I would take preorders on special sizes and colors and more than once I got screwed having a shirt that did me no good because they were people I know, "they wouldnt screw me". Needless to say not happening again. I had alot more $ to be throwing away back then I dont have that luxury of throwing $ away anymore.

Does anyone use forms that state removal if non-payment happens? I might be doing a huge job tommorrow for a new business that isn't even open yet. Is it unreasonable to ask for a certified check or money order?

At this time I do not have that stated anywhere, but haven't had to deal with that situation either.

I do not feel it is unreasonable to request a certified check or money order!

Good luck tomorrow.

No problem Troy!  I haven't had any large graphics to place on store fronts, but I'm ready to give it a whirl. 

Keep up updated how it all goes.

Jenny

I am still new to selling the vinyl stuff, but I have done freelance graphic design for years and always require 50% down. I learned that very quickly after being burned early on. I have still been burned after getting a deposit. Anyone in Michigan, Ferndale specifically, stay away from "Elegance by Design".

Thanks for the heads up.  I normally don't get work from that area though.

I'll definitely be asking for 50% up front.

Thanks for all that answered.

Jenny

50% upfront!!

That is the only way to do it.

Show me the money I will show you the goods :thumbsup:

Keith

Definately secure funds of some kind (certified) what if the deal falls thru and the business doesn't open - not me but that happened with a pool hall locally after all the windows were done.  busioness never opened and I can only hope the person that did the signs got paid

you own it untill they pay all the bill.  and I allways get 50% down on all fabrication jobs, meaning any job that takes any materials. the only work ive allowed 30 day net billing is labor jobs, but service on electrical signage, installs, ect needing materials need to be paid at completion of the work.

I had a small vinyl job a few years back,  60 dollars total. I did it no money down with the understanding from the store owner thier would be an envelope at the store register for me with 60 bucks in it. I made it cristal clear that was the term. I did the job applying the vinyl on the window told the manager I was done it looked good, he agreed. I asked for my money and drew blank stares from him.

I told him the owner had told me an envelope would be in the register for me. he told me there wasnt one in the register. I told him since he was the manager he could pay me from the register and I would give him an invoice marked paid.

he told me he couldnt do that. I asked him what kind of manager he was. he said what do you want me to do pay you from my own wallet? I said, yeah, why not. dont you trust your employer?  at that point I told him the deal.  it was too far to come to try to get paid again, and it would immediatly mean more time and money in trying to get paid. if he didnt pay me I would scrape the vinyl off the window and leave. he said I couldnt do that, and I told him I own this untill im paid I havent been paid so i will be taking it with me. 

he paid me. and that was that. now if the job is less than 100 bucks (A fab job) I get paid in advance. over that I need 50%

I only net 30 when i do vendor work for a local business. That is the only way they will work with people. I had to become a vendor, sign agreements, send tax info, etc. 

yes, on my work order, it says any order of $100 or more %50 deposit upfront