Sign in to follow this  
Black Market Designs

Blank Screen - Cutter won't respond

Ok, I powered off my cutter (CTN900E) and now when I power the cutter on, the LCD has a faint black bar across it.  None of the buttons respond and the plotter won't perform the checksum and go online.  Neither of the red buttons are pressed and this machine is a week old, purchased from ebay.  Please help.

Thanks

Erik

Black Market Designs

If you press either of the red buttons in, do they pop out basically? If so, they are not stuck in, and it could be something internal.

Might be a loose wire inside the unit, or possibly a chip that is not completely seated ont he motherboard. Do you feel comfortable opening the bottom of the unit to expose the motherboard to check and see if anything popped loose in transit?

I feel comfortable.  I'm pretty technically/mechanically inclined.  Will this void my warranty.  The plotter was working fine and then out of no where it stopped working.  I'm pretty disappointed right now.

It will not void the warranty. Basically, tip the cutter on its side, then loosen the screws along the bottom and wiggle the bottom panel open and the screws will fall out. The motherboard is secured to the right side of the bottom panel, so look for loose wires or a chip not seated completely, press down on the chip and wire connection even if they appear secure, then put it back together and fire it back up.

Ok, I will try this later tonight.  Also, is it possible that the red push buttons are bad?  They pop back out after being pressed.  I'm just wondering if either of them are stuck internally.  Thanks.

Yes, I have seen this once or twice.

Not really sure how to troubleshoot the buttons, but maybe make sure they are intact on the inside of the unit- you would have to remove the side casings to get to them. Also make sure they are plugged in securely to the motherboard.

To test be buttons you would need a ohm meter. They are probably normaly open switch. So when testing when to buttom is pressed it should show shorted just as if you touched your leads together. When you release the button it should show open. Some meters have a loud nosie when it is shorted. I agree with Ken that it would be odd for one of those to fail.

The issue has been resolved.  I found my grounding wrist strap (for safety's sake) and opened the bottom of the plotter and inspected the motherboard.  One of the chips sounded like it wasn't completely seated when I lightly pressed on it.  All of the wiring harnesses that are plugged into the motherboard have glue on them thats holding them in place, so I don't think a loose harness might have been a contributing factor.  Plotter is now functional.  I'm glad it's working again, but I'm a little apprehensive as to why it stopped working in the first place.  ;D  Oh well, now I can get back to work.  Thanks to everyone that helped.  ;D   

The issue has been resolved.  I found my grounding wrist strap (for safety's sake) and opened the bottom of the plotter and inspected the motherboard.  One of the chips sounded like it wasn't completely seated when I lightly pressed on it.  All of the wiring harnesses that are plugged into the motherboard have glue on them thats holding them in place, so I don't think a loose harness might have been a contributing factor.  Plotter is now functional.  I'm glad it's working again, but I'm a little apprehensive as to why it stopped working in the first place.  ;D  Oh well, now I can get back to work.  Thanks to everyone that helped.   ;D     

Glad to hear it was something as simple as a chip not seated completely. Not sure why this happened, but thank you for the update.

;D

it was probably a bit lose from shipping...vibration from cutter finished the job. Now that it is seated well, shouldn't happen again.