Sign in to follow this  
RegisG

Do cutters or blades "break-in" and work better?

I've had my PCut 3-4 months now.  The 60 degree blade I'm using is over a month old (I don't cut every day).  I've noticed that lately everything weeds much cleaner, smoother, and overall better.  I don't think I can weed any better than I could after the 1st month or so. 

Sooooo, my question is do these machines or blades get better after a little break-in?  Does anyone else notice change?

Curious but, pleased all is better...

Thanks,

Regis 

Yes blades wear and may work better or worse depending on the quality of the blade. I've had some that only lasted only a few weeks and others for months. I've been using the same blade since startup with my 630 and recently increased the pressure by only one point after several thousand feet of vinyl cut. Haven't noticed a difference in weeding but will pay attention in the future.

It can depend on your material, I use different brands/colours/types - cast, calendered, mylar etc. in one sitting.

If it cuts sweet with Mactac - 86# backing, and I cut 3m -72# backing, it can be a pain to weed because of the thinner backing making the blade setting incorrect.

I have found 3m black doesn't cut/weed as well as white for example. If you switch brands you may have to tweek the blade a bit.