knucklehead

Cutting ThermoFlex Plus, or not?

I'm puzzled, I got a couple of sample pieces of ThermoFlex Plus to try, and I can't get this stuff to cut for nuthin'. Although this material is new to me, cutting vinyl isn't, using a Pcut, have probably cut 500-1000 yards of vinyl, paintmask, hi-po, lo-po,631, even one mill SignGold, and this is the first time I've ever touched the buttons on the cutter (had to find my handy chinese manual, just to find out how to raise the pressure). But, I can't get a good cut on this Thermoflex, upped the pressure 20 points, 30, 40, almost got a good cut, 50 blade was digging in. Could someone enlighten me as to the hows of cutting thermoflex? And to mention, this is the first for using this material, and it was a sample, but the material side is so grundgy, you can't tell where its cut, is this normal? Does anyone know the mill thickness? Just to be sure my machine was working OK, I put the settings back, and cut a 48 inch Effiel Tower,(Thanks to whoever posted, I'll go back and thank you personally, and post it up), cut great, out of 631. Needless to say, my first impression of the Thermoflex, has not been a very good one. Anyone suggest a different brand to try?  Thanks  Mike 

what does the other side look like?  One side of it is typically like a hard sheet of plastic paper...

My plotters always cut that stuff with ease... Never had a problem before...

I've never had a problem cutting Thermoflex Plus..and if I did I'd be ticked! Because it's not exactly cheap!

Where did you purchase yours?

Jen

Other side is the plastic backer/carrier sheet, I think I just got an old piece. I realize this was a free sample, and these companies have to deal with people wanting to do all their stuff with free material, so I think I'll just order a roll, and see what I get, probably won't be ThermoFlex though??.  Thanks  Mike

Maybe you did get a bad sample.  I have not yet used Thermoflex Plus (will try it soon).  I have used Siser Easyweed, though, and really like the results.

What exactly is it doing when you cut? Thermoflex does not show the cut lines like regular vinyl (especially the white) so you have to look closely to find them and weeding it is a different ball game since the plastic has the adhesive on it. Are the cuts not clean or is it not going into the material at all? Have you tried a new blade?

I have cut more thermoflex than sign vinyl and have only had a press half the time I had the cutter, no problems cutting it I did get one crappy roll that did not like to hot peel (I know its not "hot peel" but it works great) That roll took 3 presses to get the stuff to stick good.

Guest fivestar

Have you tried to weed it yet to see if it in fact did cut?

I've never had a problem with siser or thermoflex.  They are hard to see and it doesn't look like its cute until you start weeding.

Keep trying.. :P

I know I am about 11 years behind, but should mention definitely check your cut force. I had problems at first, but am using an MH 721-MK2, and it needed to be 150g cut force in order to weed the material! A lot higher than the Siser products! lots of trial and error but now I know. With their metal flake options it is thicker so unsure if you would have to up the cut force.