Sign in to follow this  
jenni

I prefer wet to dry!

I tried both wet and dry applications today and the wet app was much easier and seemed fast.  What are the reasons to do a dry application?  Advantages?  Thanks so much...

What is your preference and why?  It will be interesting to see what the masses prefer...

i agree with bannerjohn, but also, ide say dry also on glass. its always a pain pulling your mask off if you wet apped it on glass. you end up having to wait for it to dry before you can pull the mask.

chris

I use dry apps when images are under 5' x 6' and wet apps on images over 5' x 6'. When I perform multi layer installs I always apply dry due to the fact I use 1 piece of app tape through the entire install. If you use wet for multi overlays then you will have 1. wet backing 2. dry time between lays and 3. you will have to use extra app tape when you should only use 1 sheet for the entire project.

You should use dry apps on most of your projects for the simple reason it saves time and you will have some substrate you cannot get wet. Noobs use wet apps so they do not have air pockets which will form from applieing the image to fast or wrong pressure. Learn to use the dry app and only use the wet app when you really have to: " Vehicle Wraps " and apps that need shrunk.  (Just a thought for ya)

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics

Wonderful info.  So much to learn.  You guys need to break me in slowly-I am getting overwhelmed!  lol-I appreciate the info!

haha!! Don't you worry.. for you I would say start with wet application.. smaller/thin graphics are less pron to having bubbles in them so you do not need them as it is MUCH easier to move the bubbles out from under the vinyl when applying it, however, larger graphics or lettering wider than 8" in my opinion MIGHT need some liquid applied to help in the process if you are unsure.. when it comes down to it.. just use your best judgment on the matter and DONT OVERTHINK on it or you will just get frustrated and lose interest. While you are new, if they job is not too big bring an extra in case you mess up.. ALSO, practice on your own stuff, its free, plus you can be OK with bubbles and turns out to be a wonderful learning experience!!! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I have a job for vehicle magnets. They want to reverse out the letters so the majority of the magnet is pink with white letters. Can you wet apply to the magnets? I don't want to get bubbles in the pink...

using a 1 gallon milk jug.. fill it with water to the top of the handle.. add a teaspoon of dish soap.. add 16oz of isopropyl alcohol ( i prefer wintergreen ) and you have your mixture to use!

Dry time varies.. try just a corner to test it.. really depends on the surface and if it 'gives'. Hard surfaces generally do not require much dry time as you would be bonding it to a firm surface that will not shift or change shape when pulling the app tape off.. use your best judgment when testing it.. also use a FINE MIST.. do not over do it! that is when you have problems and end up with bubbles even with the water. LESS IS MORE

I would say a good minimum would be at least 1 - 3 minutes.. glossy surfaces like banners may need to dry 2 or so minutes longer..

:P

Thanks for all your help with this. I cut them out today, but did not mount them on the magnets yet...a few other issues. i will post in correct forum, though.

So much to learn!

sf