Sign in to follow this  
Guest gracewriter

Bad Moon Rising

Guest gracewriter

Haven't been around in a while.  Sorry for the silence.  I'm in trouble, and need some help.

Without getting into the gory details, right before I found out my husband is cheating on me, I bought a bunch of yard signs, a roll of banners, a roll of car magnets, and a little bit of vinyl. 

I know it is inappropriate for me to come here airing my problems, but I could really use some advice right now about trying to figure out how to make money in this business.  I think I have enough supplies to get started, but would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me on how to get started trying to find business.

I'm so sorry for the un-comfortability I am causing anyone by being so candid about my situation.  I realize it's probably stupid on my part to come here and do something stupid enough to reveal such personal problems.

I'm so sorry to ask for help of this kind, and feel even worse that I don't have friends in "the real world" to help.

Best,

Grace

whoa. My heart goes out to you  :'(

Unfortunately I don't have much to offer, except a lot of empathy. I'm sure someone who is "in the business" will chime in shortly. Seems to me, you're on the right track though.

Let us know if there are other ways we can assist you!

Guest kenya

Wow.... I'm so sorry Grace.

I know all of us in the "forum world", are here to help.

Many of us will come thru with some ideas.

Here are a couple of ideas to try...

Make a set of those magnetic signs for your car.

Put out a few of those yard signs.

Put an ad in the local paper or post an ad in a local grocery store.

Some Post Offices have B.B.'s, put something there.

Hang in there girl..... it's hard to move forward in this terrible time.

My best friend once told me........ "this too shall pass".

Sorry to hear about that Grace.  Here is what i recommend.

Find your niche...where it is magnetic signs, banners or plain decals.  Once you found what you like working with, start getting your friends involved by having them network for you.  Let them know they know someone starting out in the sign and decal business and if anyone needed anything to use your business card. Once you get a good clientele, then you can expand to other things.  Your friends are your best means of advertisement.  Another thing is use your vehicle as an advertising tool.  Believe it or not, people write your number down when they drive.  The best way to get something going is jumping in fully.  You have all of us for any other advice..just ask.

Charlie

Grace, I'm so sorry to hear this!  :'(

But I know one thing girl...you have TALENT.  You have shared some wonderful products you have made...don't sell yourself short.

You need the 'can do' attitude....advertise like mad.  Here in our town there is an event coming up, a small company that has bought from us before is going to be there.  We are making them a table banner (no charge) but will be 'sponsoring' them in a sense and it helps get our name out there.  Doing small 'freebies' can help alot too.  You get a happy potential customer and get more exposure.

If I can help...don't hesitate to ask.

Jenny

Guest gracewriter

Thank you all so much for responding.  I'm so sad right now I can't read your posts.  But just wanted to say how much it means to me that I'm not as alone as I've been feeling.

I'm hoping I can get it together next week and implement some of your suggestions that you've written to me on this thread and in private.

Your posts mean so much to me right now I'm at a loss for words.

God bless

tough situation Grace  ;D , Sometimes tough times wind up seeming like a blessing given enough time . I reminded my son last week while he was holding his newborn daughter ( 1rst kid & my first grandkid  ;D about the day he felt he was on the oceans bottom because of a break-up with his previous woman ( I think he may have been suicidal that day ). Without that bad situation , the loves of his life , the new woman & his baby would not have happened . He thought & understood . I told him to remember the lesson in case he needed it again pertaining to anything .

Mayby things will work out with you & your husband . Men usually don't cheat because of love , it's usuallly just lust . Do what's best for you  ;)

To make $ , I think you should make cold calls . My buddy started that way & got a bunch of business . He told me banks were his best scores . If you don't have business cards , Vistaprint.com has 250 free basic cards you can design yourself for the cost of shipping ( $5 ) & several other things they give that can be shipped together .

regards , Rodger

Oh my heart goes out to you Grace.  You are strong, though.... much stronger than you think you are. And we are all here for support.

I agree with the others... USE the HELL out of your car for advertising. It is a rolling billboard.  People pay thousands to have that much advertising. And lay it on thick.  Don't worry about it looking tacky.  If it gets you work, then it did the job. You can always change it later.

Join your local Chamber of Commerce and get the word out through them.  Networking with local businesses can really pay off.

Hand out flyers and business cards like they are going out of style. Even put the annoying ones on people's windshields.  Be assertive and confident, people like that.

I'll post more when I think of them