Sign in to follow this  
go10go4

Cleaning vinyl residue

I'm trying to find a solution that will remove the glue after vinyl has been stripped from a banner or other substrate. So far I seem to be striking out. I have tried alcohol, paint thinner, and orange solvent (concentrated and diluted). The area is still very sticky after I have applied these. Any suggestions?

Being a hobiest autobody guy, I use wax and grease remover, available at most auto parts stores.

It softens the adhesive so you can wipe it away, it is fairly non destructive also, but always test it before you put it on a new surface.

I use a brand by Transtar called scat, it is expensive, but a little goes a long way.

I have Rapid Remover and it works great.  I think the Rapid-tac folks make it and I get it at Sign Supply USA here in town

would all this stuff work on adhesive stuck to vehicles too?

I'm trying to find a solution that will remove the glue after vinyl has been stripped from a banner or other substrate. So far I seem to be striking out. I have tried alcohol, paint thinner, and orange solvent (concentrated and diluted). The area is still very sticky after I have applied these. Any suggestions?

Wow that must be some mean glue!!! What type of vinyl was it?:)

Great question Haumana! I would like to know this also. I have seen the Rapid remover on a utube video take it off of a car.

Christi

I have used the goo off on vehicles with no problems  :)

Kewlie! Thanks for the info. I have a couple of vehicles with some adhesive (now covered with dirt) that needs to be removed. I guess I'll wash the area, try to remove all the debris then hit it with some goo off.

Did we not just have this question last week?:)?

Well here is my reply to this issue from a week ago:

A. Safe and easy ways to remove graphics from painted surfaces.

a. Rubber Eraser Wheels

b. Heat gun on low to med setting

c. Giffy steamer ( its made for safe removal )

d. Orange Peel Adhesive removal

e. Vinegar and Water mix

f.  Soapy water applied to graphic with plastic bag laid on top of graphic (Leave in sun)

B. Safe and easy ways to remove window tint

a. Giffy Steamer

b. Heat gun on low setting

c. Orange Peel Adhesive Remover.

1 * the trick to window tint removal is to keep mild heat applied as you pull both layers together as you go. If tint starts to peel abart then stop and allow heat to soften the area then pull again.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY BRAKE FLUIDS NOR CARB CLEANERS

Similar question. My adhesive removal question from last week was about window tint  :)

Mahalo for the reminder though.  :)