chris4847

copyright laws

I am new to the industry and dont know what can be sold legally.  for instance I have a lot of friends that would like stickers of calven urinating on ford. (we are kind of partial to chevy :huh:)  Well the last thing I need is ford suing me for everything I have. Other things like NFL logos and the like are very popular on cars but I dont want to make any if there is even a chance of me being sued.  What about I love my harley, or my other ride is a harley.  would I be sued by harley for stickers that say that ;D.  I know you guys are not lawers but just want some advise.  Thanks a lot this forum rules.

Guest fivestar

By law, you are not allowed to reproduce anything compyrighted without the copyright holder's permission.  Almost everyone does it and I don't think ford would sue you for it, but watch out for fox racing and harley davidson.  I heard they are the worst ones at pursuing it.  But nobody is going to sue you for everything you have, I'm sure they'd warn you first.

BTW, I don't do it...... ;D:huh:;D in case anyone is peeking in from those companies.

wow that was a quick responce. this is great!!! :huh:

that is pretty much what I thought, but just wanted some opinnions. thank you so much for the advice!

I dont think I ever would sell copyrighted stickers. ;D

9 times out of ten, you will get a formal warning called a cease and desist letter...

not only can they sue you for making them, you can be sued for punitave damages...

also, if you make ALOT of stickers, they may confiscate EVERYTHING used in making the illegal stickers... computers, machines, car and possibly your own home!

what if my wife is actually doing the work.  Would they take her. :huh: I dont think the mother in law would like that at all. j/k thanks for the advise.

how about if I just say the mother in law is making them

.....I hope they would take her ..........

Guest garysigndesign

You can reproduce any preexisting copy written graphic if their is a 20 -25 % noticeable variance in its appearance. That should be easily located on the Internet under Copyright law / infringement.