Sign in to follow this  
polarkiss

Handling costs this much?.... Really US Cutter, Really???

I paid $15.67 for shipping and "handling".

Sure, I thought. Shipping up to Alaska IS expensive... no problemo.

When I received my package, I was MORE than a little ticked off.

It cost US Cutter $.83 CENTS to mail my package.

I guess being touched by the golden hands with kid gloves @ US Cutter, being blessed by their holy water and gently ushered out the door is a nice hefty $14.87 fee.

Doesn't make you look too good, fellas.  I love my cutter and blades, but this is just silly.  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.  Usually I am only a fool once   ;D

post-2248-12986523762769_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986523763365_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986523785675_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986523785973_thumb.jpg

even more amazing to me is that whoever printed the label didn't check the ' do not show postage on label' box.

were you not told up front about this,before you purchased?

Yep, If I hadn't seen that price on the package, I would have never known.

I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt, right? 

Well mabye it only hurts a little.....   

Heck I figured it was coming up priority 2nd day or something lol.

at that price,it should have been. Priority mail on that would have been less than $5

Guest fivestar

Yeah that's a pretty big handling fee. 

Wow thats a little steep. I just looked at your auction and saw that it had free shipping for the 48 states and had a link to a calculator for other shipping. I picked anchorage AK 99502 since you said you were in AK. Here were the results.

Shipping Method  Shipping Cost 

FedEx - 2 Day $28.55

FedEx - Ground $15.67

It sure dont look like a FedEx ground shipping label on that package!

looks like you were charged for FedEx and someone in shipping either made a mistake or just ripped you off. Wait until Tuesday,email Ken,and request a refund since your shipping wasn't what you paid for.

Our systems requires us to use "shipping rules" unless we want to build shipping tables for each product that is sold on eBay.  Unfortunately, we are tied to the limitations of our software, and we are only able to offer the prices that we do on eBay because most of the process is extremely automated.  We have to build shipping rules based off of the most usual circumstances, and in the case of vinyl cutters we have to use Fedex ground.  Therefore our calculator must use the "Fedex ground" shipping table.  eBay is not our preferred marketplace, and it is certainly not the recommended marketplace for transactions to Alaska.

For us to refund shipments on a one-off basis would add to the complexity of our business and increase our costs.  Our goal is to always offer the best prices, and if we are dealing with a lot of one-off issues, we cannot accomplish this goal.  There is some expectation that the buyer will seek out the best price option, and in the case of transactions outside of the US 48 states, it is the buyer's responsibility to determine whether the the gross costs is reasonable.  Please note that the shipping calculator is available for you to check the shipping rate before you bid on or buy an item (in this case, buying through USCutter.com would have been the lowest cost option.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the transaction, and I appreciate the feedback.  I will take it into account the next time we modify shipping policies.

Unfortunately, ebay does not allow a seller to mention or even HINT that they have a website.

For those of you who don't sell on ebay...when those blades were sold..ebay got around 12% of the selling price. Paypal,probably another 5%.

As a seller myself, I have been FORCED to add a higher handling charge to my ebay listings. I, however,have the option of shipping either UPS or USPS,whichever is cheaper for me. Sometimes I chose cheaper,sometimes I pay more for FASTER.

It all balances out in the long run.

Like Marcus said, you can chose to buy from US Cutter if you agree with the prices,or you can buy elsewhere. I suggest avoiding ebay  and going straight to www.uscutterdirect.com...at least ebay won't get their cut.

Thankfully, I probably have enough blades to last me 5 years. Longer than I am likely to last.

Guest fivestar

Unfortunately, ebay does not allow a seller to mention or even HINT that they have a website.

For those of you who don't sell on ebay...when those blades were sold..ebay got around 12% of the selling price. Paypal,probably another 5%.

As a seller myself, I have been FORCED to add a higher handling charge to my ebay listings. I, however,have the option of shipping either UPS or USPS,whichever is cheaper for me. Sometimes I chose cheaper,sometimes I pay more for FASTER.

It all balances out in the long run.

Like Marcus said, you can chose to buy from US Cutter if you agree with the prices,or you can buy elsewhere. I suggest avoiding ebay  and going straight to www.uscutterdirect.com...at least ebay won't get their cut.

Thankfully, I probably have enough blades to last me 5 years. Longer than I am likely to last.

That's why I quit selling on Ebay.

Guest fivestar

Our systems requires us to use "shipping rules" unless we want to build shipping tables for each product that is sold on eBay.  Unfortunately, we are tied to the limitations of our software, and we are only able to offer the prices that we do on eBay because most of the process is extremely automated.  We have to build shipping rules based off of the most usual circumstances, and in the case of vinyl cutters we have to use Fedex ground.  Therefore our calculator must use the "Fedex ground" shipping table.  eBay is not our preferred marketplace, and it is certainly not the recommended marketplace for transactions to Alaska.

For us to refund shipments on a one-off basis would add to the complexity of our business and increase our costs.  Our goal is to always offer the best prices, and if we are dealing with a lot of one-off issues, we cannot accomplish this goal.  There is some expectation that the buyer will seek out the best price option, and in the case of transactions outside of the US 48 states, it is the buyer's responsibility to determine whether the the gross costs is reasonable.  Please note that the shipping calculator is available for you to check the shipping rate before you bid on or buy an item (in this case, buying through USCutter.com would have been the lowest cost option.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the transaction, and I appreciate the feedback.  I will take it into account the next time we modify shipping policies.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you used the Fed Ex table to charge the shipping then why didn't you use Fed Ex to actually ship the product?  :D Unless you knew it was actually get there quicker with US Mail which seems unlikely.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you used the Fed Ex table to charge the shipping then why didn't you use Fed Ex to actually ship the product?  :D Unless you knew it was actually get there quicker with US Mail which seems unlikely.

I think that was pretty much my the reason behind my post. 

I understand it costs more to ship to Alaska.  I have lived here my entire life.

And I am ALWAYS 100% willing to pay that extra charge.

What I am not willing to do, is get charged for one service,

and then BLATANTLY getting another.   

All of your constrictions aside, the money is a paltry amount to me. 

I never asked for a refund.

It is the mechanics of the transaction and the flagrant discrepancy between the two sums that I was attributing the original post to.

Marcus, thank you for taking into consideration the conversation, and all points given for future transactions.  In lieu of any compensation, at least bringing this particular scenario into forum light - sheds clarity better than any refund.

And thank you to those who sent private messages, your helpfulness rocks!

first class mail doesn't cost a penny more to Alaska than it does anywhere else in the US..nor does Priority Mail Flat rate. Just so everyone else knows.

I ship to Alaska,Hawaii,and Puerto Rico,as well as Military addresses,on a regular basis.

True dat. But that certainly doesn't stop many sellers out there from doing exactly that. eBay also does nothing to protect the buyer of an item, when the seller has it a fixed shipping cost and is willing to ship to the "US".

There have been many sellers that will come back and request for additional shipping cost. Irks the heck out of me. I make a point to stay away from the sellers that specifically designate "Lower 48" or "Continental US," but the ones that don't and then come back to try and get more money should be fined by eBay.

Companies that are willing to ship via USPS and have a huge mark-up in shipping should be shot! Shame on them. There is no special preparation to the packaging, no special markings on the boxes or envelopes. Same stamps, same post office, same "Carrier Pick-up".

I could go on and on about shipping gouging. Like Polarkiss said, we're willing to pay reasonable cost for additional shipping, but let's be reasonable.

Mahalo to the forum members who have offered to be postal relays! You guys rock!!

I have been in business,one way or another,for 30 years...and one thing I have learned...if you don't treat the customer right, it will cost YOU in the end. I've stopped buying from sellers who overcharged me for shipping...that $20 they made probably cost them hundreds,if not thousands,from me. Once bitten is all it takes with me.

I have been in business,one way or another,for 30 years...and one thing I have learned...if you don't treat the customer right, it will cost YOU in the end. I've stopped buying from sellers who overcharged me for shipping...that $20 they made probably cost them hundreds,if not thousands,from me. Once bitten is all it takes with me.

American commerce in action!

Good on you John!

A lot of people selling on E-Bay are using the "Handling" end of "Shipping and Handling" to pay for the costs of doing business on the site.

As BannerJohn has posted, it costs upwards of 15% of the auction to do business,now, on E-Bay.

Its not any of my business, but I agree with fivestar if the calc said fedex the item should have been shipped fedex. Polarkiss you are taking this alot better than I would be.

Its not any of my business, but I agree with fivestar if the calc said fedex the item should have been shipped fedex. Polarkiss you are taking this alot better than I would be.

Yes Polarkiss is being nice  :D . Personaly , having been a business owner the past 30 some years. IF i agreed to a deal as a buyer , I would not care if the seller found a way to make more money as long as it didn't cost me  ( it did say shipping & handling ) . As a seller/contractor If the deal was made & I could save money ( make more profit ) in anyway that doesn't compromise the deal , I would & not feel obliged to reinburse the buyer . I think the shipping & handling fees in this case is clearly to offset e-bay & Pay-pal costs , so part of the deal right from the start . A business can't loose money on every deal & stay in business . The prices USCutter sells blades etc for , there isn't any or enough profit to pay operating costs IMHO .