signdept

Interesting problem

I'm running flexi and I have a large order for parking signs... In flexi it tells me that its 17.5 x 23.5 inches for a standard parking sign, but its cutting about 1/4" too big. Anyone else have this problem?

If you have it in a 12 x 12 in the main program,and then enlarge it in the production manager,then go back to the main program and reduce it,it will effect the size when you go back into the production manager.If I have a design I have worked on,I try to save it before I take it to the production manager.That way,if I decide to enlarge of reduce it,I open the saved file.I don't know why it does it that way,but sometimes it will do a porpotional scale that doesn't seem to fit.

I think also that if you are running a design that is going to fit in a 17.5 x 23.5 area,you have to put a border around the design in that size.When you go to the production manager,it will automatically set the panel size to the edge of the design.I don't use the template panels in mine.I set it all on a custom and work the design from there.That's why it's cutting too big.It tells you it's the size for the sign,but it can't set the dimensions for the design to fit in the sign.

Well the aluminum's dimension is 18" x 24". So I cut the sign a half inch smaller and include the border. In the production manager it says the size of my design is 17.5 x 23.5 but it cuts it at 17.75 x 23.75 so the border ends up right at the edge of the aluminum. What I'm doing now is cutting everything a 1/4" smaller then I really want it and it seems to be working alright.

I had the same problem with the first banner I cut.It was a 36 ich banner,and when I cut it,it cut to the stitching seams.So I had to cut and fit the lettering when I put it on the vinyl.

Well the aluminum's dimension is 18" x 24". So I cut the sign a half inch smaller and include the border. In the production manager it says the size of my design is 17.5 x 23.5 but it cuts it at 17.75 x 23.75 so the border ends up right at the edge of the aluminum. What I'm doing now is cutting everything a 1/4" smaller then I really want it and it seems to be working alright.

Matt - have you tried just sizing it in the design window and not messing with the sizing in P.M.?  I've never monkeyed with the sizing in the Prod. Mgr window, always leave it at 100%, just size it in the dsign window ahead of time, then hit cut/plot, then send  and never had a problem yet (well at least not yet)

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, Marcel has Flexi installed on his computer, and he is using it, so I can't try it out at the moment.  I don't have much experience with Flexi, but in Signcut, there is an option to calibrate the cutter (it cuts a square and you enter the measurements of the cut square into the settings screen).  I would imagine that most cutters aren't 100% perfectly calibrated, so I would expect Flexi to have such a feature to compensate for slight imperfections between different units.  Am I wrong?

That said, I am recognizing the genious of SignCut more and more.  For less than $50 a person can buy CorelDraw Suite 12 or for about $100, X3, which is one of the best vector drawing programs available and do all their cutting through SignCut which focuses on (and masters) just the cutting part and leaves the vector graphics to the developers that deal with it best.  Flexi, on the other hand has to develop all functions (vector graphics and signmaking) for a product that is only applicable to the highly competitive and fragement signmaking market.  That sounds like huge costs and complicated development.  It is no wonder they charge more than $1000 for their full-featured products.