Sign in to follow this  
ralais

Applying Wall Art

I am making a wall art decal for someone.  It is about 20 x 24.  I am using 631 vinyl but unsure about the application tape.  I just bought some paper tape... do I use this or do I need clear?

Can paper tape be applied without wetting it or does it need to be applied clear? 

Since it's two layers, do I use the paper tape to apply the two layers?

Anyone know of any good videos out there with this?

You can use the paper tape, dry, no problem.  I like the clear tape myself but it's a personal preference. 

Make sure the wall is clean before you start.  The only time I ever had a problem was on a newly painted wall with a washable finish paint.  It took some work to get the vinyl to stick.

If you have clear app tape, I would say try using that. I would think since a little more rigid than paper app tape, you could get a better bend/fold over as you're pulling the app tape off. With a multi color decals... layer on the app tape starting with the top layer, and work your way down to the bottom layer. When you apply the vinyl to the wall, you can try using a tennis ball or some type of flexible ball to help get the vinyl to stick to a textured wall.

Dont use clear tape. If you do, use the lowest tack you can find. I highly recommend using paper tape dry.

I would think, the lower the tack, the better. I would go with medium to low tack.

Let us know what you used and how the installation went.

Guest TracMatt

I did my daughters whole bedroom with wall art.  The ones that needed app tape I used clear low tack I got off ebay for it and it worked fine.

Good luck and have fun!

Tracee