signdept

Knife Offset

Is there anyway to increase the accuracy of the knife. I'm running flexi and when i cut my O's or R's or P's the cut doesnt complete and leaves little gaps which really bother me during weeding. After an hour of trial and error I brought it close but not how I want it, even the overlap cut doesnt give me what I need. I'm running the knife offset at 0.014in and the resoultion per inch is 1015.000 which came as a default for this driver.

You might try auto weld and auto trap in the advanced tab of the production manager.I think the knife offset is mainly used when you are using a pen for plots.And if you're doing small lettering,I would turn the cutting speed down to 8 or 12 i.p.s. .

I'm also running flexi, and having the same problem.  The cutter isn't closing the gap on the O's P's, and lower case a's.  Which causes a major issue during weeding.  I am using auto weld, and auto trap, with a choke/bleed distance of .125.  I'm not sure what to do, but I can't continue to operate this cutter if it can't complete the cuts, because I waste too much time during weeding. 

Anyone else running flexi without this problem.  If so, what settings are you using to cut small letters?  I slowed the ips down to 4, which is the lowest, and still didn't work.

Please help!

MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOWER THE KNIFE UNTIL IT TOUCH THE  THE VINYL  IT MIGHT BE HIGH  ALITTLE BIT

ALSO YOU HAVE TO CONSEDER THE THIKNES OF THE VINYL

GOOD LUK

I'm also running flexi and having the same problems.  I have another cutter at home that is a different brand, running the same flexi program and have NO problems at all.  We have tired eveerything we could think of to fix this problem and can't seem to figure it out.  ANY suggestions would be great! 

I use Flexi, and never have I encountered any problems which has been brought up, it is version 7.5 and never had I had any problems with it completing cuts.

I use the Roland PNC 1000 driver.

In Production manager, I have it set to port com 1, 9600 bps, 8 data bits, none parity, 1 stop bits, flow control hardware and CHECKED is DTR, RTS, CTS UNCHECKED is DSR and DCD

resoltion is 1016 steps per inch, 1 passes, checked is advance after plot

In production manager under the advanced tab, i have nothing checked. besides 'send all colors'

So I dont know why your cutter is doing this, and mine is not...

I had a similar problem - the cutter flaked out on curves, especially with small type, leaving the cuts incomplete. I figured that the blade must not be swiveling correctly, so I lubricated it with lithium grease on the tail end where it slides into the holder. Voila, greatly improved cutting. You might give that a try and see if it does anything for you.

i am also haveing a simmliar problem i think it has to do with vinyl shifting as well, it seems to be off a 16'th of a inch from where it starts and finishes

Guest fivestar

decalboyz make sure your pinchrollers are tightened evenly on all your pinchrollers.  If one in tighter then the other then it will cause the vinyl to drift.  Also make sure the vinyl is perfectly straight in front to back of the plotter.

Hi. TATER, i`m put your parameters at my FLEXI, please, send me the knife offset.  THANKS.

I'm having the same issue to a degree.  On the same letters it's not closing.  It is real close though.  I don't have to cut it with a knife during weeding, but I do need to take my time peeling off the excess.  The unclosed part is enough to lift the letter but not so much that it won't pull loose if you hold down the letter.  It is really a PITA with very small letters.  My settings are the same as what's been mentioned here.  I may try dropping the knife a little.

I see it not only on closing curves, but anywhere that the knife picks up then returns to that spot and drops back down.

Ross

The knife offset recommended by Roland is .0098.  In flexi it rounds to .01.  I set the offset to this number and the issue is just about gone.  The knife offset should be used.  It basically compensates for the fact thet the tip of the blade trails behind the blade center point slightly.

Ross

Hi All

I am having the same gap problem as the rest of you in this post.  I am running FlexiS 7.6v2 on COM 1 LPT, Driver PNC-1000.  I changed my settings to "Taters" post and set up the knife offset to .0098.  Now the test cut from the production manager or a "show me" from Flexi will not work. (Yes, I have restarted the computer after making changes in Flexi & turned the cutter on/off).

I have another cutter that is a different brand, running the same Flexi program and have not had any problems at all.

I could really use some assistance ASAP.

Thanks

3DCarving.com