once again,Ebay screws sellers:

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account

PayPal

ProPay

Payment on pick-up

Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

this is a direct quote from ebay.

Any particular reason why they have changed a number of their rules & policies???  I would give them the benifit of the doubt, and perhaps say the changes are to minimize people getting screwed too often?  But it could also be said that they are getting to big and wouldn't mind stiffing "the little guys" right...... Anyone have some fcats they'd like to share? ;)

That's soooo ridiculous. Once i had all my auctions cancelled because someone complained that I put in my listing that I would only accept PayPal, cashier's checks, or money orders - no personal checks. When I asked why my stuff was take down, they said that the seller doesn't have the right to discriminate against a buyer based on their (the buyer's) method of payment.

My response to that was some like - Why not, you let seller discriminate against send stuff to Hawaii, or the method to which the sender want to ship. You even let them gouge on the shipping too, especially when shipping outside of the "lower 48."

I then petitioned for a filter check boxes "Will ship to Hawaii," "Will ship to Alaska," "Will ship to Puerto Rico," "Will ship to APO/FPO."  I was then told that my request was too difficult to accommodate ... Yah, because "Gift Item" is such an important filter feature.

Just like I said in another thread ... eBay sucks!

I hope to one day hear Kathy Griffin say, "Suck it eBay!"

;)

Guest kenya

Like I say...... ebay is government ruled !!

This is just another way the IRS can keep track of sellers income.

There are so many businesses using ebay, they (IRS) are afraid that they might get

a couple of pennies slip by them.

It's a combination of new tax laws, which are not effect yet, and e-bay/paypal doesn't get a piece of the pie, if you pay with a check or MO. Paypal's fees are somewhere around 5% now, when I sell something on e-bay that's gonna be over a hundred bucks, or so, I tack on a service charge to pay me with PP. So far, hasn't seemed to bother anyone.

I've said "Postal Money Order or PayPal only" for a few years now and ebay never pulled one of my listings.  One very good thing about ebay is that if, for any reason, you don't like it, just don't use it.  I've gotten aggravated a couple times and stopped selling then had something that would do well on ebay so I started again.  I guess if I owned it, then it would run perfect.....but, then again I don't want all that income [lol].

Regis

It's a combination of new tax laws, which are not effect yet, and e-bay/paypal doesn't get a piece of the pie, if you pay with a check or MO. Paypal's fees are somewhere around 5% now, when I sell something on e-bay that's gonna be over a hundred bucks, or so, I tack on a service charge to pay me with PP. So far, hasn't seemed to bother anyone.

I think you are right. All those Billions isn't enough...they want more. THis takes effect in October,btw..and you are NOT allowed to suggest to a buyer that they can pay with a MO,you are NOT allowed to send them to your web site if you have one.

Also, beginning at the same time, all fixed price listing fees are .35 cents instead of the sliding scale they used..BUT the final value fees will be going up. Already 12%...they haven't said, but I expect at least 15%. Add that to the Paypal fee and they're getting 20% of your sales. All I can say is...down do my prices, UP go my shipping charges. They don't get a cut of that...yet.

Greedy bastiges!

It is true, ebay and paypal suck! Anyhow for me it is a love/hate relationship.

I think about it this way so I dont get mad:

1. There are people there already looking for what you are selling.

2. How much money would I have to invest in order to get a decent flow of people in my wn website?

3. I can easily sell to almost any place in the world (I have sent stuff to Australia, France, Canada, USA, Spain).

When I think of that, I feel a bit better.

Joe

you are right Joe,it is a necessary evil. Last year my ebay sales were about 50% of my total sales...probably 10k or more... I just hate the way the keep raising prices and the back-handed way they do it. Giving you lower up front costs and acting like they are doing you a huge favor,then sticking it to you on the back-end. IT's like Foghorn Leghorn saying to the chicken hawk "smile at me while I'm hitting you,boy!"

anyway, I have lots of repeat customers and after the first time,they dont go through ebay.

as my old dad used to say,they are getting too big for their britches.

anyhow, Meg Whitman,president of ebay for 10 years until March was an arch-conservative who heavily supported Bush and the Republicans in congress. If we get a new administration,maybe things will change and the government will start regulating them a bit.

Guest sciondrgn

Ok thats it! Lets get some coders together and makr our own auction site  ;)

actually I don't use the auction feature of ebay...all my listings are fixed price. I'm looking into alternatives.

A friend and myself have played a little with Ebid but so far not enough people are aware of it- someone like google with their own check out system and deep pockets needs to get into the online auction business to offer some real cometition.  when Ebay bought paypal it was only a mater of time until the fees went up as that is the preferred payment by so many people.  I read paypals first quarter earnings were over 570 million.  When there is no real competition they will keep scr**ing the sellers as much as they can as it only increases their profits

I have done good using Craigslist for mobile homes, mini horses , mini donkey's , 4 wheelers etc . Best part it is free ;)

Not enough people stopped using ebay when they made the feedback changes so now they think they can change anything to their liking. Sound familiar???

And, I saw something the other day about ebay is gonna start policing the shipping prices, said that is one of their biggest complaints, people selling a ten dollar item, for 99 cents, then charging twenty five bucks or more to ship, when the shipping should have been about five. Which is the buyers fault for not reading on down to the shipping cost, all they see is buy it now 99 cents, but they're still gonna bitch, and if enough bitches, then you have to deal with the shipping price cops.

Hey Knucklehead ,  That was fun :thumbsup: . My son gets mad when i call him that .

I can't fault e-bay for stepping in about the high shipping costs . That is a way to side step normal e-bay fees .

you are right Joe,it is a necessary evil. Last year my ebay sales were about 50% of my total

anyhow, Meg Whitman,president of ebay for 10 years until March was an arch-conservative who heavily supported Bush and the Republicans in congress. If we get a new administration,maybe things will change and the government will start regulating them a bit.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying you WANT the government to regulate Ebay? To regulate all our businesses more?

Carol

Not enough people stopped using ebay when they made the feedback changes so now they think they can change anything to their liking. Sound familiar???

That's okay. Let them keep it up. Every time they make another change, I post fewer auctions and I'm not the only one. Witness the growth of Craigslist and local consignment businesses. I'm getting things in my store that might well have gone on Ebay a year ago. Every restriction, fee, and regulation they place on their sellers means a few less items listed but, just as I'm allowed to make the rules for my business and accept the consequences thereof, so is Ebay. I say more power to them. If they can make more money on fewer sales, let them have them. Eventually someone else with deep pockets will decide it's worth the risk to compete with them. I like it that way. In the end, the free market will correct.

Carol

you are right Joe,it is a necessary evil. Last year my ebay sales were about 50% of my total

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying you WANT the government to regulate Ebay? To regulate all our businesses more?

Carol

I am saying that Ebay and Paypal should be regulated the same as any other business of the type.Paypal is essentially a bank....yet they have no no regulations that they have to follow like all other banks do. They can do ANYTHING they want to with your money,and there are no regulations to stop them. They can seize your money for any reason,or NO reason. They can charge any fee they please,

I still use Ebay, one it gets my cane tittle on internet and when people click on Pistolcanes.com they come to my web site, make a purchase and everyone is happy. Ebay gets nothing and the advertising I get there is well worth the small entry fee I pay plus sales off Ebay.

once again,Ebay screws sellers:

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account

PayPal

ProPay

Payment on pick-up

Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

this is a direct quote from ebay.

That's BS. I'm glad I got my merchant account. But I sell alot of shirts on there. And for 15.00 each shirt costing the amount it does is BS.

And E-bay is slowly buying Craigslist, they own something like 30% now, can anyone see what's in the future? Better use craigslist all ya can right now, while it's still free

I wonder if anyone has ever used the rant and rave feature on craigslist. About ebay.

I still use Ebay, one it gets my cane tittle on internet and when people click on Pistolcanes.com they come to my web site, make a purchase and everyone is happy. Ebay gets nothing and the advertising I get there is well worth the small entry fee I pay plus sales off Ebay.

I just went to Pistolcanes.com and it shows the website available.