Sign in to follow this  
CyberSultan

First try with Plastisol

Ok, so I got my samples from Ace Transfer today.  There are different types of transfers depending on the application.  I really like the look of the Super Opaque Hot Peel on a black shirt.  The only issue I ran into with that is I put the transfer on the back of an old pocketed black t-shirt...and where the front pocket raised the back of the shirt up a bit is where the transfer had problems (looked washed out while the rest of it looked very clean).  Wonder if it caused too much pressure on the raised part and pressed it too far into the material???

Then I tried a crystal back cold peel transfer.  That holds great detail and is completely opaque (feels like vinyl)...but the blue and red colors of the American flag transfer image looked textured (bubbled) while the white background of the flag looked perfect.  I tried another one of those decals a second time on a different shirt...and the same thing happened.  Not sure what the issue is there, but I followed the directions to the letter.  Has anyone done a cold peel transfer from Ace Transfer before to tell me what I might be doing wrong (or maybe that is the way it is supposed to look)?

I have a large order of sweatshirts and t-shirts coming in...and I'm hoping to be confident enough to use plastisol instead of having to do it all with Siser (it will only be one color).  The thought of weeding so many transfers...  :-

Guest fivestar

First your pocket shirt should of had something inside it, like an oversized mousepad or Lou with www.teesquareit.com sells some pads for that purpose.  I myself use an oversized mousepad.

Second your crystal peel was probably too hot, I know their instructions say like 380, but I don't mine at around 360 with crystal peel, actually have even done them at lower temps.  SOHP is great, that's what most of my transfers are in plastisol.

Thanks for the info Five.  Yeah, I really need to get something to put inside the garments then.  It was just a test shirt I had...but I see the importance of having something inside the shirt if it can't lay flat without it.  Most of the sweatshirts that I will be doing on this first order won't have that issue.  But I will need to raise up the material on some zipper ones I need to do.  A mousepad seems like the cheaper way to go.  Eventually I might get some of those teflon pillows if I decide to do some name and numbers on mesh jerseys.

I have one last cold peel to test, so I will give it a try with less heat.  :huh:

They recommend doing the cold peel at 310-320 at 5-10 seconds.  This time I did it at 305 for 5 seconds (instead of 320 at about 10 seconds last time)...and it turned out really well.  That was it.  Lower the temp and the time just a bit.  :huh:

I think I will mostly be doing SOHP as well.  One of the schools I work will always want red on black.  The SOHP sample did a good job with the red on black test.  Thanks again for the advice Five!