Sign in to follow this  
KrazyWhite Rich

My 721 Is Making A Grinding Sound And Starts To Overlap Cuts ...

like the topic subject states, my 721 is making a grinding sound now and then and cuts over previous cuts in the graphic.  is the motor going bad?  this is the first day that i actually used it and i am not pleased.  help please!

thanx, rich

Make sure your carriage is sitting on its tracks properly. It sometimes pops off during shipping. If it is not on its tracks- just push up on the carriage until it is reseated.

The carriage is the little black box that moves side to side on the cutter.

yes sir the carriage was not seated in the track.  i am going to try cutting some vinyl tonight so see if it does it again.  i'll keep you posted.  thanks ken for your help!

OK- so the carriage is seated properly now, but it is still cutting random lines, or is it dragging the blade when it returns to its origin? Also, is it still making a grinding sound?

yes sir the carriage is seated correctly.  and yes sir the grinding sound is still happening.  what happens is this,  it seems like the vinyl roller motor binds up or it rolls the vinyl to far which in turn drags the blade creating a cut in the wrong place and the cut is squiggly (sp?) line.  after the vinyl roller does the grinding sound, the vinyl is now in the wrong position and the cutter completes the cutting but the cuts are ususally over the cuts already made or the cuts are not in the where they should be eg. to far away from where they should be. sounds like it the motor to me.  but i'm just a novice at this.

Could be the motor..but just to satisfy my curiosity...are you rolling some of the vinyl off of the roll before you cut? Sometimes,I have had the roll jerk and cause this problem. Just a thought.

And,personally,I would have put an 'e' at the end of sguiggley. But that's just me.

i hope it's not the motor i literally cut less than 50 stickers with this machine.  it better not be the motor.  ken any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Did we ever get your issue resolved Rich? Do not remember if you called in or emailed for support.

;D

The issue mentioned sounds like the sprocket / cog (whatever is on the end of the motor shaft) has come loose.  Open up the side cover and see if that is the case.  You can test by unplugging, and holding the the roller while you move the cog.  If it is a bit loose, you can tighten it by removing the small belt and finding the hole.  Inside, you should be able to tighten with an allen wrench.  Let us know if this is indeed the issue.

- Marcus