Sign in to follow this  
Rodger

Flexi Starter 8.5 review

Hi , I know several of us have gotten the Starter Flexi from USCutter lately . I want to know what the reactions are & have 1 thread for the nice experienced members to teach us members who are a bit inexperienced & slow  :P

I have not gotten into it much since I just became a Grand-dad for the first time & time/mental energy has not been available . Had a couple sleepless nights at the hospital :P .

1rst thing i really liked was the rulers being standard . SBE doesn't have even inch marks ( I didn't think to look at the size box when using SBE for actual size ) . I don't see a size box in the Flexi-Start yet .

Thanks in advance , Rodger

SBE doesn't have even inch marks ( I didn't think to look at the size box when using SBE for actual size ) . I

I haven't tried Flexi yet, still stuck in SBE but aren't these inch marks.

post-1657-12986522948335_thumb.jpg

The seperations wasn't what i wanted on the rulers ... not 1 line per inch etc  ( ex. ; 0" - 10 " only has 8 larger lines & 16 smaller lines  ) . Trying to make something seperated by 3" is harder than if they had 1 line per inch  . I never got that good with the measuring tool .

Rodger

COME ON !!!  :)  How about some action in this thread :huh: what do I have to do , start an arguement :huh: Ok  Rodger's Mom wears army boots !!! ............... oh wait , I'm Rodger  :D;)

I'm not sure I know what you mean. If you place your cursor at any point,at the bottom it tells you exactly where it is,in inches. Also in the design central,you can set the distance,move in increments,etc. Post a pic of what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. If you place your cursor at any point,at the bottom it tells you exactly where it is,in inches. Also in the design central,you can set the distance,move in increments,etc. Post a pic of what you are trying to do.

I was talking about SBE rulers not having even marks between 1"-10" . I have not played with Flexi much yet , but like the rulers ALOT better  . If I don't spend enough time to remember new things , I forget them next time I try . I am not going to spend that much $ for the manual , so getting My friends ( well 99.99 % of YOU :huh: ) to review / talk about Flexi starter is what will help me the best . This forum is a nice addiction BTW  :huh:

regards , Rodger

Flexi starter is the same as flexi letter was in the early 90's. Its the basic of basic of the program group. I got a copy free with a plotter I bought. I test it out and for doing basic cutting and simple designs it works well.

I think this what you want if I read you right.

post-2822-12986523116455_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986523117218_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986523117994_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986523135011_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986523135624_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986523136196_thumb.jpg

nice long demo video here:

http://www.givemehelp.com/fullflexi8demo.html

just covers some of the things flexi can do. Bear in mind it is for PRO but some of the things work in starter.

Thanks John , I'll be watching that several times to let it sink in .  ;D

Rodger

Flexi starter is the same as flexi letter was in the early 90's. Its the basic of basic of the program group. I got a copy free with a plotter I bought. I test it out and for doing basic cutting and simple designs it works well.

Thanks for the reply . I wanted to do that in SignBlazer for a couple things I was making . I noticed right away that Flexi has standard rulers with marks that correspond with actual measurments ( 1' marks , 1/2 " marks etc  . )

regards , Rodger

Thanks for the reply . I wanted to do that in SignBlazer for a couple things I was making . I noticed right away that Flexi has standard rulers with marks that correspond with actual measurments ( 1' marks , 1/2 " marks etc  . )

regards , Rodger

that looks like the "Grid" function in SignBlazer. You can turn it on and off and set it to any distance and set "Snap to Grid"

post-1657-1298652327154_thumb.jpg

post-1657-12986523294845_thumb.jpg

Thanks , I understand & use the grid part & guide lines  ;) . The part i don't like is the inch ruler ex;  0 I I I 5 . It would be easier for me if there was 4 big marks like on a regular ruler between 0 - 5 ( each inch has a line , smaller line for 1/2  ). The SBE metric ruler has the correct amount of lines but I am not up to speed in metric though  :thumbsup: .

regards , Rodger

Hey Roger - are you looking to use the ruler as a measuring tool, or more for alignment?  :o

Hey Roger - are you looking to use the ruler as a measuring tool, or more for alignment?  :D

Hi , I am using it as a measuring tool more than alignment . I don't have much computer knowledge/skill . Last summer I started with Inkscape/SignCut & after Ken remotely took over the Pc & got all the settings correct , everyting has been good  :o. I then started using SBE & have used it mainly since then . I am very pleased with SBE but with it's future in doupt , i have bought Flexi Starter  . I have not got it talking to the cutter correctly yet , but I like the ruler in it . I mainly do my trucks , backhoes & signs on Mobile homes i sell , So i don't do much more than basic stuff . The "trickest" thing I've done is took a flame clipart & put my Co name inside ( WAHOO was that fun :o .

I have been trying to take BannerJohn's advice & figure things out , but i'm ready to start asking questions that show my lack of knowledge again .

thanks for the reply & help , Rodger

Do you have to have a dongle in flexi pro 8.1? a friend lent me a copy to try and i can only get the trial version... no save, cut or copy. I have flexi starter and love it.

Do you have to have a dongle in flexi pro 8.1? a friend lent me a copy to try and i can only get the trial version... no save, cut or copy. I have flexi starter and love it.

yes,you need the dongle.

Hi Tim ,

I have a dongle in Flexi 8.5v2 purchased from USCutter . After i click cut/plot , I get a window that says " select a production manager " . I fill that out as best i can & think I have the settings correct ( I know i am missing something very basic & don't have the settings correct :o . I can send it to the Copam cutter if i leave that window open, but the cutter cuts a few letters & stops . I have the com set to the same usb port as SignBlazer . I don't see where i need to install a driver for Flexi yet , or where it is at on the Flexi software disc .

Thanks 4 any help , Rodger

I wish i could help you there, I run flexi starter with a pcut630 and havent had a single problem with it. It doesnt give me a choice of production managers it just pops up. If you would like me to post my settings let me know if that would help..... Bummer about the dongle thing i was excited to give flexipro 8.1 a try.

Hi Tim ,

I have a dongle in Flexi 8.5v2 purchased from USCutter . After i click cut/plot , I get a window that says " select a production manager " . I fill that out as best i can & think I have the settings correct ( I know i am missing something very basic & don't have the settings correct :thumbsup: . I can send it to the Copam cutter if i leave that window open, but the cutter cuts a few letters & stops . I have the com set to the same usb port as SignBlazer . I don't see where i need to install a driver for Flexi yet , or where it is at on the Flexi software disc .

Are you trying to use the Copam settings in Flexi?  If so, they don't work in Flexi (I have reported this to SAi, but they have not come up with a fix).  You need to use the DGI OM-60 settings with the Copam.

Hi Tim ,

I have a dongle in Flexi 8.5v2 purchased from USCutter . After i click cut/plot , I get a window that says " select a production manager " . I fill that out as best i can & think I have the settings correct ( I know i am missing something very basic & don't have the settings correct :o . I can send it to the Copam cutter if i leave that window open, but the cutter cuts a few letters & stops . I have the com set to the same usb port as SignBlazer . I don't see where i need to install a driver for Flexi yet , or where it is at on the Flexi software disc .

Are you trying to use the Copam settings in Flexi?  If so, they don't work in Flexi (I have reported this to SAi, but they have not come up with a fix).  You need to use the DGI OM-60 settings with the Copam.

WOW  :o, Many Thanks CyberSultan !!! I have been scratching my head for several days trying to figure what i wasn't doing correct .

Rodger

Flexi Starter has GREAT weed options  . I don't think it has weed lines that you can put where you want like SignCut has , but probably not needed .

When i send the job to the cutter , it sends me to " select a production manager " . If I close the production manager it won't cut . Anybody know what I have incorrect or not selected ?

Thanks in advance  , Rodger

I believe thats normal mine does the same thing. The production manager is what cominicates with the cutter i believe.

the production manager has to be open in order for it to communicate with the cutter close production manager and you close communication to the cutter