freddy scrappy

Newbie needs help

I bought a US cutter because you all seem so friendly and helpful but I'm ready to pull my hair out... LOL

I am trying to cut card stock.... so then I bought a sticky pad to hold the paper while the cutter cut my letters....

some letters are cut but at the top and bottom it doesn't go right through... I'll adjust the blade... I need to know how to stop the cutter from cutting through the middle of my letters I can't use them in 2 pcs... Is there others that are cutting card stock? I also don't want it to cut the tile around my letters I am wasting too much and that is when it screws up the most because my letters are kind of loose. I've taught myself but at a loss now I went through the 7 hrs of learning but can't find the answers pls help me! my hubby thinks I wastedall that money on a usless gaget... :'( :- :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

Hi and welcome to the forums.  When you say stop cutting through the middle of the letter are you meaning like the center of an O or P?  If so then you'll have to make a bridge for those letters, basically a very small line that connects the centers to the outside.

As for the border, I'd say you have the "weed border" checkmarked or something to that affect.  I use flexi and that's what mine is called.  Not for sure what it's called in your cutter software.

The  first thing you ask, I would like to know it too.

The tile thing  if you are using SignBlazer, in the cutter menu in the left donw you'll see:

- weed all

- weel each copy

- easy weed

Disable or uncheck them all and you will cut your letters alone :thumbsup:

IN SBE: In node edit mode you can select the area of the center of an "O" or "A" and the nodes will turn green hit delete and they are gone

Thanks for your quick responses, I am using SBE I bought it in Jan/08 and gave up then now I'm further the cut lines that go right across seem to be from cutting the holes in letters.... the blade cuts across all of the other letters on it's way to the next "hole"  should I untick the cut holes first??? Thanks for your help

Freddy Scrappy

>:(well I tried again it cut all the way through but the cutter path is also being cut.

I turned off the cut holes first and still my letters are all cut up... and not cut nicely at all flat spots maybe this has to do with the font I choose??? I can't get it to select on one letter to ajust the nodes pls help I know it seems dumb... it is just SO FUSTRATING :- :'(

I'm ready to  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I have spent all afternoon checking this out.... I can't seem to get any phone Numbers to call for help either

sounds like your blade is so far down,it's not lifting enough to clear the stock between cuts.

Ok so I cut another one but realized I didn't have the blade into the holder all the way it cut but not all the way through... I could hear it lifting the cutter this time but I don't know what I selected differently this time to make it lift up. I figured out the node edit but now I have to go back by hand and cut the centres out... I cut another one without the centres but the carriage didn't lift and it cut across some of the letters to the next ones... this time it also fed the paper back to the start cutting all the way... LOL any help would be great!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

If you want to "see" how the blade will cut, go to VIEW and click "view in WIREFRAME". (Unclick it to view normal again). This might help limit your waste so you can hopefully fix your problem before you cut. Just a thought.

John sounds right - it really doesn't sound like the blade depth is set properly. How thick is this card stock? Is it possible that the blade is cutting through the stock and possibly pulling up some trace amounts of adhesive on the blade itself? (thereby causing the carriage to be stuck in the down position when it's moving from letter to letter).

A little more info couldn't hurt either: which cutter do you have? how are you connected to the cutter? (sometimes bad USB connection can cause communication problems - slashing could be one of the many possible outcomes of that problem), how much pressure are you using? what is the speed set to? Give us a little more info about the card stock (thickness, poundage, etc.), and if possible, a bit of info on your adhesive back.

Guest Schramm

It would be nice to see a pic of what you are trying to cut as I am thinking that you want to cut stenciled letters out of card stock?  I work with stencils all the time and I read about bridging and I think what they are telling you is to make a small area that does not get cut to hold the piece together.  Personally I cut stencils out of vinyl, but I do not want to assume that you are make a stencil of some sort.  If you can please post a pic.