If it is on the outside, definately scrape that sucker off.

I would do it after hours, though...  and be there first thing in the morning to take pics of her expression lol.

Yes i did get half down. I made her a new sandwichboard and decals for the store front. I charged her $600 total plus gst. I had to wait to cash her deposit cheque almost two weeks, but she guaranteed me her final check could be cash right away because she did "very well" at her sidewalk sale.

This just sickens me...........well if she paid for half....I'd take HALF the sign off the window!!  :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

Ok here is a real life situation where you are the WINNER!!!  Not only can you take that off the exterior of a commerical business, if she bitches while you are doing it and calls the police chances are she will go to jail for NSF!  No kidding, you cannot stop payment on a check for services as the reason you wrote the check to begin with is because the job was complete.  In your case it does not sound like she stopped payment it sounds like she bounced it.  Either way she is actually liable for up to 3 x's the amount of the check plus any fees from your bank.  You have rights and it is as simple as taking the case to your local police office and showing them the bum check...

Guest sciondrgn

You ---> twak.gif  <-- Non Paying Customer

Awesome!

I would pull off 1/2 the vinyl also...

NiCE = Pulling off one entire window...

NAUGHTY = Cutting both designs in half and destroying the design.

Do you feel naughty or nice today?   ;D

One way to avoid payment problems in the future (if accepting checks) is to cash it at their bank.  I have done that before when concerned that there might be a cashflow problem.  You know right away (without penalties from your bank) if there are enough funds to cover the check.  Also, they can't cancel the check on you when you do it that way if you get to their bank fast enough.  ;D:)

One way to avoid payment problems in the future (if accepting checks) is to cash it at their bank.  I have done that before when concerned that there might be a cashflow problem.  You know right away (without penalties from your bank) if there are enough funds to cover the check.  Also, they can't cancel the check on you when you do it that way if you get to their bank fast enough.  ;D:)

I always do that and have done so for years. Good idea.

yes I am going to do just that for now on. I have her sandwichboard and I still cant get hold of her. Tomorrow after she closes I will take all of it down and video tape it, if she doesn't bring me cash.

I wonder if i can put "DIDN'T PAY" on the window, or will that get me in shit lol

Be kind to yourself. Just rip off 1/2 of the sign to where she can't get it replaced. Let her do the rest of the work. Hee, hee.

I had something like that ALMOST happen to me today.

Ol' Jerry was to sly and cashed her check AT ONCE. and had it made out to my personal name.

If you try and cash a check made out to your company name, most banks won't do it unless you have you proof of business identity with you and then you have a real good chance of being turned into the IRS.

Yes, it happened to me.

Dang, I have a lot of experience with deadbeats. :)

Be kind to yourself. Just rip off 1/2 of the sign to where she can't get it replaced. Let her do the rest of the work. Hee, hee.

Yes, I like it!  She paid for half, so leave her half: the right half, or the left half!

:)

I say you can take a bit of advice from everyone ....

Take a John's dog, have it pee on the door way. After hours, go by the store and take half the sign down ... but not the left or right window pane - I'm thinking more along the lines of select letters and/or numbers that might make the sign something else completely ... or just every other letter and number ... because that's just the type of person that I am  :)

Then if she gives you more grief, tell her she needs to route any communication thru your attorney or if she wants to avoid litigation - to send the money via cashier's check or money order. ... and that you won't have to charge her for signage removal  :)

I agree with most people here. I hate dishonesty. What I would do it, take pictures, which you did, and still sue her for time and materials. Plus I would send an email to Lullaby Lane in San Bruno, California, where I live near, and see if they have their name copyrighted or Trademarked and have them sue her over the name.

Be Carefull . If you take down the deacls or damage them , you might legally have to pay to replace them .. ESPECIALLY if you or anybody else video tapes it being done . If I was going to destroy them or take them off , I would not let anybody see me & make sure there are no camera's . Here in Maryland , a similair thing happened . Once things are delivered , especially installed , it's a civil matter & ownership belongs to the property owner . Imagine having to pay another sign shop top dollar to make & instal what you have not gotten fully paid for ...

personally , I probably would damage them enough to make sure they had to be replaced .

Is that according to the law or you ? I think it's mine until paid for also , but after anything has been installed in Md , not the legal view .

I had a guy do stop payment thing to me, and when I checked he did not have the funds in the bank anyway, I simply gave him the choice to pay within 5 days or I would turn it over to the sherrif, it is illegal and considered fraud if the person says nothing about the work and writes the check and stops it and than add on the fact the money was not there to cover the check anyway, that makes it fraud

the guy who did it to me found the money somewhere and rushed it too me..

Is that according to the law or you ? I think it's mine until paid for also , but after anything has been installed in Md , not the legal view .

that's the law. More than once I had someone write a bad check to me..In just went and picked whatever it was back up. EXample here: In Tennessee if you have work done on your car...and don't pay...after so many days the person can legally sell your car to recoup the money. If you write a bad check, that's a felony over $200.

I would be leary of taking checks anymore. There are low-cost ways to get a credit card payment or maybe PayPal? This scares me as I begin to take on customers!

I was advised by my laywer to give her invoice and thirty days if she makes no attempt at paying i am able to take sign down. It has been 30 days now so i will take it down when i get over to that part of city.

Hi ,

what city/state do you live in ? That is how laws should be ! I assume you told them you would be taking the sign down after 30 days ? My experience is when they find out you have recourse , they start trying to bargain the price down . A person's principal says to stay at invoiced price or charge interest . In reality , most of the times best to settle & go on . IF you do anything again for them , charge more than usual with C.O.D. , my 2 cents  ;D ... an old horse trader told me you can never get even if you get mad ( a.k.a. stop doing business with them )

Rodger