Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

Residental window film - cutting using a plotter

Guest Schramm

Right now I buy my solar film from Solyx, I use them as I really like there decorative line of fims.  I have a large job coming up with 35 windows for a house on the lake.  I have never done it yet but can I just go to the house, take the measurments and lay the window sizes out in CorelDraw X3 and cut it out in Flexi?  I am really tired of cutting this on the job as you cannot work as fast as if it is already ready for you.  I have a CS1200 from CutterPros.  If I can do this can someone tell me which blade to use, correct pressures and anything special I need to know....

Thank in advance.

Guest Schramm

Well I have a 100' roll here HOWEVER it cost a ton to just try!  Plus now they are only giving me 60" rolls...  Yikes.

Guest sciondrgn

Unless it has some kind of solid backing to it, i dont think it will cut, the blade will just scrunch the film up. The kind you order from a sign shop has a backing to it so it can be cut properly and still peeled, I played with a sample of the stuff from sign warehouse and it works

Hand cut them do not try to use the plotter. You have to remove the seal and reinstall the seal when tinting flat glass anyway so my installers cut on site! Another down fall is that the drive wheel and pinch wheels leave lil marks in the tint from plotter operation. The drive wheels leave pin marks and the pinch wheels leave a grove. So its a bad idea for flat glass!!!

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics