Sign in to follow this  
gm2k8

weeding tips or advice

ok.. new to the vinyl weeding arena.. will give you my setup..

24" laserpoint cutter

15" LG 6000 vinyl

small design with text to test

i think after a little trial and error.. i have my cutting depth and pressure set 'ok'.. the first cut.. i did the sample 'test' rectangle and it weeded fine.. no problems.. however when i cut my test design with text.. it wasnt cut all the way around some of the text.. i could see the cut lines but it appeared to be not cut all the way thru the vinyl.. so back to setting the pressure..  i upped the pressure and did another cut and this one appears to cut better.. but when i started to weed.. the letters were pulling up a little and i just had to use my exacto and hold the letters down a lil bit as i pulled up the excess material..  now to my question.. are there any tips to weeding.. certain angles i should use to pull around text or should i try a lil more pressure on my laserpoint..

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated..

Dave

How small is the text? Anything under 1/2" is usually when I start having problems with text.

If it's something you're going to be installing for yourself or the customer... you can just apply the entire sheet, and then weed once the vinyl is on the substrate.

Guest TracMatt

I also have this problem Dave and I'm trying to find the right adjustment within Signblazer's offset on the setup part of the software.  I am yet to discover an actual resolution for this issue.  I am at .09 with the offset and if I go further the cutter actually skips around when doing small cuts like it is having a seizure or something.  But less than .09 and it does an incomplete cut like you are saying, almost like the two ends don't meet.

You might want to try adjusting the offset as well.  Let me know if you find a good adjustment I will also try it.

Both of the blade I have used so far need an offset of .25 but I ended up needing .30 I think...

Dave, you might try using a 60 degree blade also, I have found that better for smaller stuff or more accurate stuff!