Sign in to follow this  
Monkeywithumbs

Transfer tape problem

I am having trouble getting the vinyl to adhere to the transfer tape. I think it may be due to the (cheap!) vinyl that I got off of e bay because I don't have the problem with another roll of vinyl that I also bought off of ebay, but from a different seller.

The tape is 12" paper type -also cheap ebay stuff  :lol:

I am wondering if there is a trick such as letting it set-up for awhile or to use a a proper squeegee (now I am using an 8" window squeegee and a pvc ID card...lol).

Should I buy some "real" squeegees and if so, what are the best kind to get? I am thinking 3m with teflon sleeves?

Also, is there a pencil or pen that is good for marking on vehicles with that will come off easily?

Thanks in advance!

I bought some from an Ebay store when I started from someone in Miami - Pure Junk wouldn't stick for anything (thier response was press harder) so I told my wife to use it for paint masking tape when we paint rooms in the house and got some Easytear tape - have never had another problem!

Thanks for the help! Wildstyle, do you mean actually flip the whole thing over and peel the backing paper from the tape as opposed to visa-versa, or just turn it  upside down? I definitely need to up the tack rating...lol.

What makes me wonder is how it works fine for the one roll of royal blue vinyl that I have but not for the other 12 rolls...lol...I do have some Avery yellow paint mask that I bought from a local sign shop that I will try. I'm sure Avery makes a good product.??

China markers-excellent!

Dakota- I am a house painter so I just may have a lot of tape here shortly (4 LARGE rolls) Shame I don't really use tape that often when I paint.  :lol:  I'm sure I get what I pay for, but transfer tape can be quite expensive for a hobbyist

So a "real" squeegee wouldn't make that much difference?

Today I made some home made wet app solution from a recipe I found in here. It seemed to work a little better, but I still have to get the vinyl onto the transfer tape! I did like having the luxury of being able to move the work around but I still have some to learn when it's time to remove the tape. I think that is where a squeegee might help. What's the deal with the felt ones? Are the just for window tinting??

So much to learn, but that's what it's all about for a noob, right? I'm really enjoying it for now (it's not my JOB, that's why) In a year or so, I hope to be good enough to make some $$ doing this (20 years of painting houses is quite long enough, thank you very much!)