Sign in to follow this  
signme

Advertising

When you go on ebay do you complain about all the copyright material? It just seems trivial to me that somebody miscategorized their ad and you felt the need to not only smack their hand and tell them they were bad but to bring it here for all to see. If it doesn't directly affect me I mind my own business when it comes to things like that. If it affects me directly then I will step in for example when people I don't know start sending me pm's trying to sell be bootleg software, this directly affects me and I take the appropriate measures but if they want to advertise their service to the public it's not my problem and I simply ignore them.

I post my graphic design services and soon to be decal services in the Creative Services section. The Computer Services section would work also. You don't want to be annoying on craigslist but I do believe craigslist is a great place to get work. I get design jobs all the time from there.

And where would the world be without Slice policing Craigslist? It would be anarchy

There are milllions of craigslist users, and the entire site is dependent on the policing by its members to prevent the entire website from becoming totally unusable.

I cannot express strongly enough my disagreement with your attitude that somehow by MY following the rules that have been put in place by Craig Newmark since the beginning of his creation of his website, I am doing something wrong and inappropriate.

In fact, the anarchy you allude to would occur without everyone cooperating to prevent individuals from ignoring the set of civil rules that TheWorld (and in specific, craigslist) has in place.

And beyond this comment, I find it particularly annoying that you chose to single me out in this thread for criticism about my doing precisely what the Administrators of craigslist request from their users.

From the Craigslist HELP FAQ --"Millions of ads are removed through flagging each month, of which the overwhelming majority are in violation of the Terms of Use and/or posting guidelines."

I post my graphic design services and soon to be decal services in the Creative Services section. The Computer Services section would work also. You don't want to be annoying on craigslist but I do believe craigslist is a great place to get work. I get design jobs all the time from there.

Then I stand corrected, it didn't seem to me that craigslist would work for this type of advertising.

Live and learn.

When you go on ebay do you complain about all the copyright material? It just seems trivial to me that somebody miscategorized their ad and you felt the need to not only smack their hand and tell them they were bad but to bring it here for all to see. If it doesn't directly affect me I mind my own business when it comes to things like that. If it affects me directly then I will step in for example when people I don't know start sending me pm's trying to sell be bootleg software, this directly affects me and I take the appropriate measures but if they want to advertise their service to the public it's not my problem and I simply ignore them.

That is NOT how craigslist expects people to act when they see problematic postings.

They expect (and receive) the cooperation of the craigslist community in 'policing' the website and doing their part to flag as needed.

As for the guys who are using CL to offer sign services nationwide and promoting their mail-order websites ---  I refer you to the CL FAQ --- "Please choose just ONE local craigslist site for which your ad is most relevant - generally the site closest to you. If your ad is equally relevant to all locations, your ad does not belong on craigslist, please find another service. Posting the same ad to multiple locations on craigslist is prohibited."

Bottom line, that is exactly what those sign guys were doing, and it seems odd to me that you feel that the craigslist membership community has no need to try and stop them, either by flagging or reporting them to the Admins.

If I wanted to police something I'd get a job with a badge. If someone didn't think my ad was appropriate how hard is it to move on without causing my business hardship. Without a clear definition of each category it is too subjective for 1 person to flag because to the outsider like myself it looks like an attempt to squash potential competition. If you were to post I'm my area rest assured I wouldn't flag your post but can you say the same if I were to posting the Baltimore area offering my services?

• Like 1

My rolling billboard

Now that's how to advertise. No matter where you are the message gets out. Everybody has seen my,vehicles on here so you know I think everything should promote your business.

If I wanted to police something I'd get a job with a badge. If someone didn't think my ad was appropriate how hard is it to move on without causing my business hardship. Without a clear definition of each category it is too subjective for 1 person to flag because to the outsider like myself it looks like an attempt to squash potential competition. If you were to post I'm my area rest assured I wouldn't flag your post but can you say the same if I were to posting the Baltimore area offering my services?

You simply do not understand the mechanism of how craigslist works.

One flag is not going to remove a posting, it takes multiple members to come to the same conclusion that there is a violation, and several people must act accordingly.

It is a community where everyone is expected to behave and follow the TOU, and those who do not are shown the door.

Regarding your posting to Baltimore CL (not local to you), that would indeed be prohibited, no question.

I did not click on the links you posted earlier I got stuck on the comments about cl not being an appropriate place to advertise for the services we offer and that led me to the thinking that competition is scary. I don't have the mindset to beat down somebody because we're in the same field and I know in my mind I would be second guessing myself if that is part of the need to flag an ad. I know from previous conversations on here that we see most things totally differently. Just curious but when you were entertaining the idea of selling did you post your business on cl and if so was the response positive or negative. I'm considering offering my services and was curious what others experiences as sellers of services or items have been before I jump in.

Whomever wants to disagree with the craigslist terms of use, and decides not to follow them, that's YOUR choice, but it certainly isn't a reason to get into MY face for pointing their rules out.

Edited by slice&dice

I did not click on the links you posted earlier I got stuck on the comments about cl not being an appropriate place to advertise for the services we offer and that led me to the thinking that competition is scary. I don't have the mindset to beat down somebody because we're in the same field and I know in my mind I would be second guessing myself if that is part of the need to flag an ad. I know from previous conversations on here that we see most things totally differently. Just curious but when you were entertaining the idea of selling did you post your business on cl and if so was the response positive or negative. I'm considering offering my services and was curious what others experiences as sellers of services or items have been before I jump in.

The reasoning behind my flagging is NOT because those ads were offering competing sign services.

They just deserved flagging mainly because they were appearing in the wrong category ("For Sale" instead of "services")

As well as not being local.

Essentially, they were SPAMMING craigslist, using the website and posting across multiple cities to promote a nationwide service.

Which is Prohibited, totally, on craigslist.

I never said you did it out of spite Slice, what I said is I would question my motives if I were to do that. It's a tough economy and they are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. I am still curious about if you listed your business on cl and if so what was your experience like with that. Like I said I'm considering offering my services and would like some input from some people where weren't on the purchasing end of things, basically a sellers point of view.

Now that's how to advertise. No matter where you are the message gets out. Everybody has seen my,vehicles on here so you know I think everything should promote your business.

I have landed many jobs by the people seeing my van on a job or just crusing doen the road. A few years ago we were in Greeneville Tn. And was at a fast food resturant and an older couple saw us going to the van and stopped us and asked if were close i told them no we were from West Virginia and they said they need services like that here then asked would i be interested in coming down to do a job i said sure but i would have to charge a premium price ....anyway later that year we spent about a month remodeling their house. So yeah it works.

I wish when I was in the building trades that i had the ability to advertise that I have now. People definitely notice you when you drive a vehicle with appropriate advertising.

I have landed many jobs by the people seeing my van on a job or just crusing doen the road. A few years ago we were in Greeneville Tn. And was at a fast food resturant and an older couple saw us going to the van and stopped us and asked if were close i told them no we were from West Virginia and they said they need services like that here then asked would i be interested in coming down to do a job i said sure but i would have to charge a premium price ....anyway later that year we spent about a month remodeling their house. So yeah it works.

You were that close and you didn't come and see me???

I wish when I was in the building trades that i had the ability to advertise that I have now. People definitely notice you when you drive a vehicle with appropriate advertising.

I had all my cars lettered then i havent done one in a while because all my veichels are old and not the greatest looking we have a lot of rust here because of road salt during the winter. Now that i have the ability to do it my self i have ended up with maganetic signs when i even put them on.

"They are just trying to make a living like the rest of us..."

Let them do so within the bounds of the rules that are designated for everyone to follow.

In reply to whether or not I use craigslist, the answer is no.

I think craigslist is a spammy, scammy mess.

You were that close and you didn't come and see me???

That was a few years ago before i joined the forum. But i am in Johnson City, Jonesborough and Greeneville a lot it seems that we are always in a rush when were that way anymore. We were in Johnson City in July my brother in law nearly dided and was in Johnson City Medical Center for open heart surgery. I think about you every time we drive thru JC and have told my wife i need to look you up on one of our trips.

That was a few years ago before i joined the forum. But i am in Johnson City, Jonesborough and Greeneville a lot it seems that we are always in a rush when were that way anymore. We were in Johnson City in July my brother in law nearly dided and was in Johnson City Medical Center for open heart surgery. I think about you every time we drive thru JC and have told my wife i need to look you up on one of our trips.

If I PM you my phone number, will you write it down and not forget it?

I will i will program it in my phone

hell, i do alot of decals for friends at my work, that's pretty much where it started, and yes they told there friends and it gets around fast. 

if ya walk into a store  and they dont have store hours on there door, let them know, store hours that customers can see when driving by, or walking by, is a big deal!  I hate driving by and not seeing hours of operation. 

its fast, fairly cheap and they will tell other people if they like your work. store hours, try not to make it look like everyone elses, make it unique!!!  

give em a first time discount and let them know that also.

if you tell them a price and they kinda gringe at it, say .. "WELL... i can come down a little for ya" because Your new, or I like ya, or your god dang sexy ( jk ) " give a reason why your comming down that makes THEM happy, they always like that. dont say because ya got big boobs lol.

If ya sell on ebay, make it UNIQUE. dont sell something everyone else is selling on ebay for $1.99 and free shipping... craigslist is ok for anything but crappy piss on chevy decals. i get alot of business from craigslist, for larger decal orders,, around 50 or more bulk orders. and there good for t shirt orders too.

EDIT: and if ya get a craigslist order, take paypal only or cash on hand. paypal, if they do pay with paypal, GO TO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND MAKE SURE THEY MONEY IS THERE. ive been scammed, well they tried, but i know what to look for. your email says DIP SHIT payed your $$$ and you go to your paypal account and no money is there.. lol i love that.... but i sell cars etc on craigs list too.. so its easy to spot a fake.. remember everyone is trying to screw over the guy who is selling.

• Like 1