n0risc

Hi!

New to the sign making craze, and I want to start very simple.

I've purchased the MH-1351 50" USCutter and I'm hoping that my Photoshop skills can be used in making very simple vinyl graphics and lettering for a large contract I've recently aquired.

I'm pretty tech savy and have lots of computer & electronics experience. But, I've never used a vinyl plotter, and i'm sure the many tricks that are out there to keep things economical, especially material. i.e. minimizing waste, etc..

I will do over a 1000 24x18 double sided coroplast signs in the first 6 months.

What is the cheapest vinyl I can aquire, and the best place to purchase it online, and of course vinyl that is compatible, or easiest to use with the MH1351?

I've seen everyone boasting about adobe illustrator, and using it to make graphics and of course vectorizing it into .eps?  Am i able to send the information to the plotter from adobe, or do i have to import it into other software to make it easier?

Oh, lots of questions. I'll have the plotter on Monday.  Does anyone suggest practicing with just plain paper first?

Nice to meet all of you.

Zach

howdy!!! welcome to the board.. ok lets see if i can answer some of your questions..

What is the cheapest vinyl I can aquire, and the best place to purchase it online, and of course vinyl that is compatible, or easiest to use with the MH1351? 

well think about it this way.. cheap and vinyl dont really mix.. if these are signs for outside dont get anything too cheap.. get something that is good for outside.. however.. my first vinyl order i got some LG 6000 that was rated pretty good from all the feedback i saw.. i got it because i wanted to wait and get a color chart for oracle before i order any of it.. i saw a pdf color chart for the LG so i got 4 colors just to practice with and then i will order some oracle vinyl.. i got mine from signwarehouse.com and i received my order in 3 days.. there are a bunch of retailers you can check out them at the post below..

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,5747.0.html

I've seen everyone boasting about adobe illustrator, and using it to make graphics and of course vectorizing it into .eps?  Am i able to send the information to the plotter from adobe, or do i have to import it into other software to make it easier?

checkout this thread

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,242.0.html

but you dont NEED AI to make the graphics.. you can use inkscape (free) to convert .bmp/.jpgs to .eps and then import them into your cutter software.. now if you already have AI and know how to use it then i would just use that.. i dont have AI anymore on my new computers and i dunno where the install discs are for those old versions so i just use inkscape and signblazer to cut my vinyl..

get inkscape here

http://www.inkscape.org/

Does anyone suggest practicing with just plain paper first?

thats what i did.. i got my cutter on Monday of this week.. checkout my practice run with pen here

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,8309.0.html

and then i just cut my first few orders today..

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,8356.0.html

again.. welcome to the forum.. use the search option and you will find tons of reading material.. thats what i did before i purchased my cutter.. i read up all about it for over a month or so..

Dave

Dave! Bunches of help my friend!

I appreciate the time you took on that reply!

Glad you're having some success in the first few days with your machine! Seems as if it's not going to be as difficult as I thought.

Thanks again!

Zach

Guest fivestar

Welcome to the forums Zach, you'll pick right up on this.

Welcome!

LOL dang Dave..u got it covered!

lol.. i told you i did my research.. i bookmark everything that is relevant.. and since i was helped here many times.. i offer my help as well :lol: and im learning everyday..

Dave! Bunches of help my friend!

I appreciate the time you took on that reply!

Glad you're having some success in the first few days with your machine! Seems as if it's not going to be as difficult as I thought.

Thanks again!

Zach

Zach.. you are welcome.. its not that hard.. if you are already familiar with graphic design.. its similar for print work on a printer.. if you are confident with that aspect.. then the cutter/plotter will be easy street.. just setting it up and take your time.. is all you need to do.. and of course if you run into problems.. hit the forum.. we are here and someone has probably had issues that you might run into and answers are here..

Dave

Welcome!

LOL dang Dave..u got it covered!

lol.. i told you i did my research.. i bookmark everything that is relevant.. and since i was helped here many times.. i offer my help as well :thumbsup: and im learning everyday..

BTW..ya get ur printer yet?

BTW..ya get ur printer yet?

not yet.. been sidetracked with baby coming next week.. :thumbsup: checkout my thread in off-topic.. but i think im going to get the one you suggested.. when the dust clears  :thumbsup: