Guest TracMatt

Why do people steal?

Guest TracMatt

My son lost his GBA while at camp and I'm mad.  :thumbsup:  He is 7 and I had it in a nice black case with his name embroidered on the front of it.  My name was on the actual GB.  I just don't understand people.  I am one of the most honest people you could ever meet.  I have found wallets and other stuff and I go out of my way to return them.  We drove an hour to meet a guy half way to return a wallet we found.  In the last 3 years I have replaced 3 iPods for my daughter, all of which were stolen.  One from her gym locker and out of her bag, locker was locked.  One from a car and now she has a new one in which I put special software on to track it should it get stolen.  I had to pay for the software but I feel it is worth it.  Does anyone know of tracking devices for these little electronics?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm so angry and I just don't understand.

Tracee

because people are lazy and want something for nothing and the law is in favor of thieves not victems. Take away fear of being caught and punished and you have chaos.

What is a GBA?

Guest TracMatt

Game Boy Advance SP is what was taken.  And you are right I guess, sadly right.  My son is really heart broke because the actual GB was his sisters and she gave it to him.  He was really happy when she said he could have it.  I mean they aren't terribly expensive anymore but it's the point.

Tracee

because people are lazy and want something for nothing and the law is in favor of thieves not victems.

The fact that people aren't punished enough for their acts, is reason enough to do it again. A few years ago, my fiancee's Honda cbr 600 got stolen. About 3 weeks later, a cop got into a high speed chase with a kid on a spray painted bike, with the iginition broken and the VIN number scratched off. Turned out to be her bike, after the cops cross referenced the motor's serial number. And the guy of off!!! Mind out... a cop chased this guy on the actual bike!

Our justice system is a joke.

I'm a TRUE believer in an eye for an eye! The US would have one of the lowest crime rates, if we went to that type of system@!

I hate that type of stuff too.  What's really sad is that these kids are young & know better... & they still steal because they aren't getting the proper punishment for the crime. 

A tracking number in those things wouldn't even be worth it since the tracker would cost more than the GBA. 

as I said...or sort of said...it's the lack of punishment. Take away the fear of paying for the crime and what is to stop anyone from doing anything they want?

Around here..a small theft (say someone steals your lawn mower) the police don't even come out...they take a report over the phone. And that's the last you hear of it. IF (and it's a BIG IF) the thief eventually gets caught...they plea bargain their way out of jail time. Most of the people in the jails here are there for ...guess what...probabtion violations.

Home invasions are RAMPANT here...you aren't even safe in your own home.. rate of home invasion cases solved..less than 30%.

Start really dealing out some punishment...and I don't mean comfortable cells with cable TV...and things will change.

Agreed.

I am glad my folks beat the crap out of me when I was out of line.

Guest TracMatt

Yeah I agree with all of that.  Firemalt should run for pres.!

Oh well he learned a lesson also.  That morning we argued about him taking it.  He said Mom I won't lose it, I'll bring it home.  I said fine it's yours not mine but remember your sister has had 2 ipods taken already.  When she was his age she had one of those little toys that is like an animal and you have to feed and stuff stolen from the same camp.  We never did get it back.

Maybe next time he will listen to his Mom.  We lived in the city when we were youngins.  We were dirt poor with a single mom raising us and no father.  We got huffy 10 speeds and someone stole them from our actual doorstep.  I could teach my kids a thing or two about disappointment, if they would only listen :thumbsup:.

Ken,

My mom did the same to us, probably the reason for my total honesty in life.

Tracee

Guest TracMatt

Oh and Fire I just read an article about that guy.  He is doing border patrol now or something.  Search CNN it was on there.  He had 4 trucks painted and everything for it.

Tracee

Yeah... started watching a video on youtube about it. He could probably get stuff done, but you know someone will throw up a flag at him, and call something he's doing inhumane.  :thumbsup:

Isn't there a State, like MN or something that holds the parnets responsible for thier childrens' crimes? Made the child crime rate drop within the first year it was implemented? Thought I read that somewhere.

Guest TracMatt

Yeah your right.  I think he is great.  The only thing that really upsets me is how all these people are requested DNA tests be done and finding out they are innocent and have been imprisoned for like 20 years or more.  I find that very disturbing.  I think about how that would be if that happened to me or my husband you know?  I think everyone arrested for a crime should automatically have their DNA put in a database that way they can match stuff up to crimes before hand.  We have the technology so lets use it.

Tracee

Guest TracMatt

Oh I hadn't heard that Ken.  Kind of scary because my sister was out of hand big time.  My mom would have done time for her probably LOL.  But I guess if she knew that she might not have done some of the stuff she did.

Tracee

Isn't there a State, like MN or something that holds the parnets responsible for thier childrens' crimes? Made the child crime rate drop within the first year it was implemented? Thought I read that somewhere.

That USED to be the law everywhere.

Firemalt for President!!!  :thumbsup:

Here's my running mate!

some good ideas but he overlooks one thing. Many people are in jail (at least here) who have not yet had a trial...and the US Constitution says 'innocent until proven guilty'. Ther is no such thing as a speedy trial anymore,thanks to 'lawyers' who play the system to their own advantage. I personally know one guy who spent 8 months in the county jail here and was found NOT GUILTY. Our own local sheriff says 40% of his inmates are mentally ill and should not even BE in jail, but there is no place else for them.

You can't win under today's bastardized legal system.

The answer...speedy trial,put them away. But it ain't gonna happen because they can't open law schools fast enough to train lawyers who think being a lawyer is a fast way to become rich at any cost.

I like the old days...arrest,trial...hanging...all in about 2 weeks.

Dont even get me started on stuff like this. I have been working as a correctional officer in the county jail for about 1.5 year now, and I have seen several that have been in there for over a year waiting on trial. Some of them will try to act like they are mentally ill, but when they go to a mental hospital and see the doctors, the truth comes out. Here if you are caught on a DUI, you might do 48 hrs and pay some fines on the first offense, but I have seen several that have come back on the same charge before they even get sentenced n their first charge. The bad thing is, if they have not been sentenced on the first one, the second still counts as a first offense, hence no more time for the second one.

as I said...or sort of said...it's the lack of punishment. Take away the fear of paying for the crime and what is to stop anyone from doing anything they want?

Around here..a small theft (say someone steals your lawn mower) the police don't even come out...they take a report over the phone. And that's the last you hear of it. IF (and it's a BIG IF) the thief eventually gets caught...they plea bargain their way out of jail time. Most of the people in the jails here are there for ...guess what...probabtion violations.

Home invasions are RAMPANT here...you aren't even safe in your own home.. rate of home invasion cases solved..less than 30%.

As for the probation violation offenders, they do make up the majority of the inmates in jail. But basically all they are doing is serving the time that they originally got when they went to court. They might serve about 30 days, and get out on probation again.

Start really dealing out some punishment...and I don't mean comfortable cells with cable TV...and things will change.

At the jail I work at, they get the basic channels over the air, no cable in the pods. The ones in lockdown dont even have TV. And the cells are DEFINITELY not comfortable, they have 2 sheets, 1 blanket, and a mat that is no more that 2 inches thick at the most on steel bunks. Most of the time we house about 35-40 inmates in about a 20 man cell pod.

my point about the probation violators is that they got probation in the first place and violated it. Public defenders and prosecutors so loaded down with cases that they jump at the chance to make a plea deal.

AS for your pods...well....all I can say is, a dry place and a blanket is a lot more comfortable than sleeping under a bridge...you see a lot of that here.

Mentally ill... I am not talking about fakers.. I am talking about people who had already been diagnosed..and that is what Sheriff JJ was talking about. And it costs his dept $200,000 a year to provide the medicined that they were already taking.

The entire system sucks from top to bottom. CRiminals walk the streets,mentally ill stuck in jails instead of where they belong..judges who think with their backsides isntead of their brain...lawyers who would sell out their own mother for a high-profile win,and cops who are so scared of being blown away on a simple traffic stop that they stay hidden as much as they can (around here,anyway).

And there is no safety anywhere...you can be robbed/killed in your own house, dragged from your car at a red light....it's insane.

Tracee, sorry to hear about your sons GBA....I'm telling you I just don't understand people.

My son when he was in HS, had brought about 20 PS2 games to school (cause he was going to a friends for the weekend) well they were all stolen sometime during school that day....never did find out who did it.

I didn't know about a tracking software, can you share some more about it?

thanks

Jenny

my point about the probation violators is that they got probation in the first place and violated it. Public defenders and prosecutors so loaded down with cases that they jump at the chance to make a plea deal.

AS for your pods...well....all I can say is, a dry place and a blanket is a lot more comfortable than sleeping under a bridge...you see a lot of that here.

Mentally ill... I am not talking about fakers.. I am talking about people who had already been diagnosed..and that is what Sheriff JJ was talking about. And it costs his dept $200,000 a year to provide the medicined that they were already taking.

The entire system sucks from top to bottom. CRiminals walk the streets,mentally ill stuck in jails instead of where they belong..judges who think with their backsides isntead of their brain...lawyers who would sell out their own mother for a high-profile win,and cops who are so scared of being blown away on a simple traffic stop that they stay hidden as much as they can (around here,anyway).

And there is no safety anywhere...you can be robbed/killed in your own house, dragged from your car at a red light....it's insane.

I know what you mean on the VOP's. I have seen one that is on his 5th violation, and all he got was 45 days. And he will be right back out again. I kinda makes me mad when these people come in and start blaming what ever happened to them on everybody else. Then they get a $5000 bond and pay it like it dont make any difference to them.

It is going to get worse as far as the mentally ill are concerned here in TN. Unless you have insurance, you might as well forget about getting any kind of help. Even if you attempt suicide, they will not talk to you unless you have insurance and they are getting to where they wont come out for consultations on nights or weekends also.

At least here in TN,we now the right to protect our selves where ever we are, not just in our homes.

My sister had her GBA stolen only 2 weeks after getting it. She also had both her bikes stolen. And all 3 my hubs and I bought her for birthdays!  :thumbsup:  Somebody even stole my daughters trike from my moms house and my sister's son's big wheel.

The cops never do anything either. If they find it, they find it. If they don't, your out of luck. But they don't actually go looking for it. My husband has had tons of tools stolen, and never gets them back. When we were in the middle of moving from our old house to here, somebody broke into our old house and stole all kinds of stuff! We think it was the neighbors, but of course, the cops didn't even look into it.

We've already had a few things stolen from our new house, so my husband rigged up surveilance cameras, and now nothing has been touched. Sucks that our town is going downhill, but the cops sure aren't helping it much. We pretty much have to take care of ourselves.

I"ve always had that right. It's called a snub-nose .38.

I am in Tennessee too. If anyone breaks into my house in the night,the next person to see them will be the coroner. No hesitation,no quesitons,no chances.

People now are stealing mostly for drugs...how bad will it be when they are stealing for FOOD? (It's coming,wait and see)

and btw, to the last poster... while I was away,my house was broken into....they took everything including my refrigerator. I gave the cops the name of the guy who was witnessed doing it by a neighbor...as far as I know, 2 years later....he has never been questioned. I  now have a house 100 miles away with no appliances,and not an inch of copper wiring. I suppose I'll just bulldoze it and sell the land.

I guess I should have phrased that a bitdifferent than I did, we now have the legal right, be it in your home or if you are out some where else (store, street, or where ever).

BTW, mine is a .40sw and a 12 ga. shotgun with an xx full choke.

Guest kenya

Why do people steal? 

Because they are too damn lazy to work for it.

We just had a neighbor that was broken into last week..... cleaned them out.

They broke the sliding glass door & just walked in.

The most upsetting thing taken was the video camera. They had their son's last birthday party on the tape inside the camera still....... their little boy is terminally ill.  His mother has him out of state, trying a new drug. The husband was at work at the time- in the middle of the afternoon.

The sorry SOB's !!!