Which of these two operating systems do you use??   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two operating systems do you use??

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista

I am still trying to decide on a new computer, and was wondering who is using XP or Vista.

Right now I am using my laptop w/XP, my cutter is the LP 24, and am using the serial cable connected to a usb-serial converter.

If I was to get a desktop with Vista, can you install a serial card, and will sign blazer work with Vista with out any problems??

Just wanting to make a good decision as this will be my main graphics comp when I get. And I heard that XP does not have Microsoft support any more, and would like something that will be around for just awhile.

Thanks, J. Gray

Guest fivestar

I actually have both, I am on Vista right now as I type, but for my cutter puter I use XP because there are some programs I use that Vista don't like.  I honestly think Vista is another service pack away from the normal user to use and not have any problems with.  I use it here and really like it, but I can get around the "bugs" in it.  As for Microsoft not supporting XP that's crap, they will be supporting it for many yrs to come.  Most businesses refused to "upgrade" to Vista so M$ will continue support well through 2010 and probably until 2012 at least. 

If I was you, I'd probably go with XP, that's what I recommend most everyone I build one for.

my thinking is this:

I have thousands of dollars in apps that won't work with Vista. If I was buying a new computer, I would get XP because of that alone.

If I didn't have all that,it really wouldn't matter. However, if you already have XP...no reason I can think of to pay for the Vista Upgrade. Not enough difference to make it worth the money.

Anyway, the next version is only about a year away..maybe they will get it right the first time. I ain't betting the farm on it though.

Support for XP will be around for at least another year or so. If you buy a new desktop just go with what it comes with for an OS. Now it's mostly Vista. Since you already have a proven machine, you have a backup in case there are problems with the new one. I'm using XP and Vista x64. I suggest purchasing a machine that will serve your needs for the next 3-5 year's. The notion you need the latest and greatest for a sign shop is ludicrous. I do work for a shop with six and eight year old computers. Both still working perfectly. Since I built both machines I have some bragging rites. One on XP and the other Win98!. LOL

Dellrose, I was in the same boat as you are in. DHL just delivered my new laptop this afternoon... with Vista Home Premium. I didn't nessacerily want Vista, but for the price range that I was looking at, it was easier to just bite the bullet and get one with Vista. Sooner or later XP is going to be gone, so I figured I might as well get used to Vista now.

Which programs have problems running on Vista?

SBE?

Inkscape?

Adobe Illy?

Photoshop?

Flexi Pro?

Corel Draw?

Guest fivestar

Flexi and Corel X3 are VERY BUGGY on Vista.  I have a program that will allow them to work by disabling the hidden admin account but they still don't work properly and quit responding alot so I keep XP on my cutting machine. 

I also have another "hobby" that uses very old software and I wouldn't even begin to try it on Vista.  I am happy running XP on that machine and very happy with Vista on this machine.

I am also using both - I have XP on my box and Vista Home Premium x64 on my new laptop.

I have SBE on both systems with no problems.

I am not a fan of Vista, but it is better now then it was a few months ago.

If you don't have a need for the higher memory go with the x32 as you will have fewer issues with software.

Good luck.

Dellrose, I was in the same boat as you are in. DHL just delivered my new laptop this afternoon... with Vista Home Premium. I didn't nessacerily want Vista, but for the price range that I was looking at, it was easier to just bite the bullet and get one with Vista. Sooner or later XP is going to be gone, so I figured I might as well get used to Vista now.

Which programs have problems running on Vista?

SBE?

Inkscape?

Adobe Illy?

Photoshop?

Flexi Pro?

Corel Draw?

My suggestion is not to take your old machine out of service before testing the new one. Have a backup plan. If you don't have one, don't do anything until you do!!!

Guest kenya

I've been running SBE on Vista (usb)..... no problems here, but I don't run all the great programs that most of you guys have.  I will probably find problems popping up when I start using them.

my recommendation as i deal with this daily.. if its a desktop.. try to get it with winxp or see if they offer a winxp downgrade discs.. because most manufacturers such as dell or HP.. if you custom order it.. if you get vista business.. you usually get a winxp install discs as well.. if you ask... but please remember.. if you buy a computer at bestbuy/circuit city/wallyworld.. and then you decide to put winxp on it.. there is no guarrantee there will be drivers for winxp that will work with your system.. especially if it is a laptop.. i had a bunch of customers who just went out and bought brand new laptops.. to find out that their manufacturers do not suppor winxp drivers for those new laptops.. so be careful.. if it was me.. i would stay with winxp.. i have used vista since the beta and in the beginning it was real buggy and in fact i had to use win2k drivers for a lot of the devices in my box just to get them to run on vista.. however.. i use it daily at work and home on a laptop with no problems what so ever.. first thing i do is turn off UAC.. every program i push on it runs without a problem.. you can go in and set compatibility with winxp with any program.. that doesnt mean that the program will run 100% like it did on winxp but it helps.. especially if you are going to use this computer to control equipment that really was made and tested on winxp and winxp drivers.. so stay with winxp for your work/cutter program machine.. if you need a laptop to surf the web.. then by all means just get vista..

The only graphics programs that I am using right now are SBE, Gimp, and Inkscape, as I cant afford corel or adobe right now.

My main comp right now is a HP laptop, and I have just about filled my hard drive on it. But I also do everything on it, from music to cutting and designing my graphics in SBE, and right now I have something plug into every port on it just about. I have been talking to a few people about a new desktop already, and like some of you said, I will definitely keep my laptop in service. Besides you never know when you might need to take it some where to show a potential customer what something will look like before you make it.

Guest fivestar

Those all "should" work with Vista.  I'd have someone build you a machine and have them put XP on it if it was me.  Well if it was me I'd build it myself but that's another thread.  :thumbsup: 

Either OS should work for what you're going to be doing though.

Not a huge fan of Vista - mainly cause of the load it places on the system overall and thats before you load up any extra software.  However - in saying that, my boss has the new Lenovo X300 laptop with a solid state drive in it.  FREEKIN FAST!  Well for a laptop anyway.

But yea, I got about 4 computers in the house, 3 on XP and the server is on 2003 server  :thumbsup:

Guest sciondrgn

Desktop - Vista 64 Bit Home Premium

Cutter PC - XP Pro Sp3

Laptop - Vista 32 Home Premium

No problems, cutter has worked on all three machines. Inkscape / Adobe and FlexiSign

The only issue I had was with the laptop not wanting to stay connected to the USB port. I would plug everything up and cut it on and it would cut but then the next cut would not and i would have to unplug/plug the USB to get it to work.. This didnt happen very often.

Ive honestly grown to love Vista, Out of the box it is rather clunky but with a little bit of research and tweaking it runs great.

Guest fivestar

Scion you running v.7.6 of Flexi?

Guest sciondrgn

Scion you running v.7.6 of Flexi?

Yep, v.7.6

Guest fivestar

David, you've had problems with Flexi Pro and Vista?

I don't have a cutter hooked up to my Vista machine, I've heard there's problems with version 8.1 but not with 7.6.

I'd say XP Pro,

Its still available, and will be supported for the next 4 years. (Heck Windows 2000 Pro is still available) XP requires 1/2 the memory and takes up 1/10 the space on your HD.

IF you buy a new style motherboard that doesn't have a serial port on the outside, I'll bet that there is a serial connector on the motherboard all you will need to add is the nine pin serial connector on a ribbon cable.

I would get the Vista, make sure that they send you the recovery discs, or create them if it's on the hard drive, then scrub all of Vista off of it and install XP Pro.

I picked-up a new dual-core Sony laptop for a contract that I take care of ... dang thing is slow as molasses trying to get booted up. Kills me. Thank goodness it's not my laptop. My personal laptop has XP Pro on it and it's slow to boot, but it's also a (single) Centrino and is over 4-years old. I don't expect lightning fast - I expect light portability from it.

Vista looks great for those somewhat new to Windows - suck for me since I've already learned how to "do things the hard way," with XP already.

I do the drag and drop thing alot from explore in to my programs. Vista's explore you have to hit more folder and search for your stuff. Vista has to much extra crap a person really don't need. I just bought a new vista laptop and it has more ram and faster everything, but I think my old laptop is better and its slower and running xp.