Bogie

Really stupid banner question

Is there an "easy grommet kit" or anything out there?

Also, can someone recommend a sewing machine for doing the edges?

Or am I missing something painfully obvious?

Heat Seal Tape???

Apply it, fold it, then heat it up.... Supposed to be as good as sewn edges... I always just buy my banners pre-made.

Pre-made is the way to go!!!!(as tater said) I was in the upholstery business for 30 years. Had a commercial sewing machine. Doing the edges,putting in the grommets,took me longer than doing the actual banner.Waste of my time.And sewing a straight edge is harder than you think.Even a cheap commercial machine is going to set you back about $500 including table and motor.

There is a guy on ebay that I get ALL my banners from.Excellent quality,pre-made,13 oz glossy one side,nylon mesh core. I pay $3.50 plus shipping for a 2x6 in lots of 10. 4x8 is $12, hemmed and grommeted ready to go.You can't buy RAW banner fabric that cheap.His ebay store is JoMark's Banners or something like that. I've been using them for almost a year with not a single problem. TRust me,I use them in my own concession business and they have held up through 60 mph winds and some of the worst weather you could imagine.

Oh,and if you request,he will do special order sizes. I've had him make me as large as 8x12.

He only sells white right now,but that's what most people want..in my case,anyway.

And at his prices,you can afford to mess up  a few while you learn.

Guest fivestar

BannerJohn could you please find the exact name of the guy you get yours from on ebay.  I have searched every possible combination I could think of to find him and can't find it.  I am needing a 1ftx5ft banner by next wed and my supplier don't stock them and would have to be special ordered and that will kill my profit. 

Thanks

So I'm not going to run into any problems feeding grommets through stuff? My previous large-format printing experience was with Encad and Epson inkjet printers... I don't think they would like the grommets, or the stitching, for that matter... I've also got a Mutoh falcon vinyl printer on the way this week...

OH,we assumed that you were asking a question relative to a vinyl CUTTER and applying vinyl letters. I don't know a thing about large format printers and don't expect I ever will.But I would imagine that the grommets would be a bad thing.

A grommet machine(press) speeds things up a litle but you still need to do them one at a time. Self pirecing grommets save time too. A grommet machine can be had on abay for about $175.00. The set of dies will run you anouther $50 or so if they aren't included with the machine.

Hems...that'a nother story. I have already talked about the sewing machine. A heat welding machine will cost you thousands...tape isn't worth the effort..I've never seen any that would hold.

Before I got smart and started buying my banners pre-made...I got a hand grommet die set on ebay for about $30,grommets are about $7-10 a gross. If you can figure out a way to do the edges(hems) the grommets will be a pice of cake,though time consuming.

My banner guy will do the hems without the grommets if you ask. I should think that your printer could handle the hems without the grommets.

Yea, you can buy a grommet kit at Home depot for starters then as you grow get one from speedpress.com they sell all kinds of materials for the sign shops. Me personally, I specialize in full color banners at only $5.00 per square foot plus shipping. I do alot of full color printing on white and clear vinyl as well as coroplast. I got my plotter mostly for the acrylic signs that are one and 2 color, and store front window lettering.  Good Luck!!