Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

What web browser do you use?

I have never used anything but Internet Explorer... so I've been thinking about trying out FireFox.

Does anyone have any negative or positive feedback on FireFox?

firefox definately better then IE.. i use firefox exclusively.. only use IE7 when i have to..

add some plugins that will help you out in firefox and its all good ;D

Firefox is a great browser, tons of features and an extensive list of plug-ins and add ons, everything from skins to web development tools.  I keep a fully loaded firefox for design and proofing duties, and use safari for basic browsing.

Firefox first, IE second, Opera third.

One of the best features that Firefox can do is to scale down pages when printing so they actually fit the width of you paper - regardless if you're printing in portrait or landscape.

IE is slow compared to Firefox.

On a mac it's an easy un-install,can't vouch for pc's though. I'd assume the pc installer has an un-install option...

Okay... one more question.

Will Internet explorer stay on my computer, where I can switch between the two browsers if needed?

I mainly use Firefox, except for the occasional access to the Microsoft Certified Trainer site which requires me to use IE to have full functionality on that site.

Firefox should be easy to uninstall I have never had to do it though? I use it almost exclusivly on my PC here at work, I only use IE when i click a link in outlook because IE is my "default" browser since the boss thinks IE is the only thing we use. I have been using firefox for several years and it gets better and better each release.

I use Safari at home on my mac I have firefox on there but since Leopard Safari has been much better than Firefox in my opinion.

Give firefox a try. I cant live without mouse gestures it makes navigation so much better. There are tons of cool add ons.

Opera for 8 years now. I will never go back to anything else and I have tried them all.

Guest kenya

Okay... one more question.

Will Internet explorer stay on my computer, where I can switch between the two browsers if needed?

I've been wondering the same.

What happens if you install..... will you lose everything in Outlook?

Or does Firefox have it's own built in outlook or something similiar?

I am pretty sure that Firefox does NOT have a built-in email client (Opera does) but I think there is a companion email clent...maybe Thunderbird?

Also,don't know if you can import your bookmarks,favs,etc into Firefox from IE (in Opera you can) but I would think so.

Installing Firefox should not affect anything else...IE,outlook,etc.

firefox is just a browser.. they have thunderbird for email if you wish.. firefox will uninstall simply by going and uninstalling it.. IE will remain there no matter what.. it is embedded into windows.. most of what you use windows for uses IE to do it..

<thinks JB has stock in Opera> hehe

wouldn't do much good if I did...Opera doesn't make any money from its browser..just from their mini-browser for handhelds

what I also don't have is virus's...not one in 7 years.Why? because Opera does not support active-x. Opera is NOT built on the same code as the rest. Firefox is based on the Gecko engine,which is the same as Netcape,and AOL. IN fact.Netscape is the commercial version of Mozilla.

Opera is the ONLY  browser based on the Presto rendering engine.

Yes, I like Opera for many reasons,the first of which is security...the second is that a lot of the 'extensions' that you need for Firefox, Opera comes with already,and a good many of the features that the other browsers took years to come up with,Opera has had for years.

nothing wrong with Firefox ,esp if you like eye candy...but you damn well better know where you are going in it. With Active-X you can get a virus simply by opening a web page.

John has a good point with the virus concern.  That's a big reason I use a Mac for everything but SignBlazer, and I use Firefox on my Thinkpad for very specific things (not casual surfing).  I haven't tried Opera in years, maybe it's time I give it another try.

I like Firefox though, and I use it on my Mac in preference to Apple's Safari.  Either way it does not "take over" and does not alter anything on your system, so it doesn't interfere with Outlook, and can be un-installed easily.

- K

I agree John, opera may be the best but I've been using Firefox for so long it's hard to change. LOL

i just wanted to say that just because you use one browser over the other.. doesnt have anything to do with getting a virus.. i have seen them all.. and i will say i have seen people with opera as their main browser and yes they too have had a virus.. or 2.. or 15.. i have been in the computer field professionally for over 20 years.. and i have never had a virus on any my home boxes over the past 15+ years.. i have infected my test computer at the shop on purpose to test antivirus software.. i dont like opera.. to each his/her own.. but no virus here from any browser.. netscape/ie/firefox/opera.. etc.. its like the ole i love ford over chevy (fords sux IMO j/k lol) but i see it everday.. thats what i do for a living.. and i just wanted to say you wont get a virus from a webpage unless you are looking in the dark corners of the web.. if you are there.. you play the risk.. and no dont tell me you dont goto those sites.. i have seen it all.. and some you wouldnt believe.. nicest people.. worst places on the net.. so just take this with a grain of salt.. all the browsers are good if thats what you like.. they do what they are supposed to do.. surf the web.. but honestly.. i have had computers in my life with no antivirus software and tested for years and then scanned and still no virus.. nothing... you just have to watch what you open.. email.. websites.. software you have downloaded from your bearshare/limewire/utorrent (you know who you are)  :lol:

the bad guys have learned how to spoof web pages as well.You never know where you are,really.Just a few weeks ago it was revealed that there was a HUGE security hole that allowed the bad guys to re-direct you at the DNS level..in other words, you could type ikn a web address and go to their site that LOOKED likke the site you were wanting but wasn't.Most ISPs fixed the proble,many were slow to do so,some still haven't.

Yes,people with Opera get Virus's but not from just visiting a web page. If you know anything much about how you GET a virus and don't do stupid things,then you won't get one. But the fact remains..without Active -X, you are safer.

thats what im saying.. its not just the browser that is the issue.. spoofing and fishing are totally different.. opera isnt the best browser out there.. im sorry to tell you this.. but again its not the worst.. neither is firefox.. anything is better then IE6.. IE7 is getting better.. most of the time activex has to be started anyways.. lil yellow line above your browser.. if its not started.. cant get in.. and its then when people get into trouble.. because most users are not computer literate they just click OK no matter what it is just to get the screen off of their browser.. almost 99% of the time in my experience it has been user error for the virus/spyware.. i know the bad guys are getting smarter.. more evil.. etc.. no browser or operating system is 100% protected.. and if someone with a mac chimes in i have bad news for you.. it isnt as safe as you are lead to believe.. in fact osX was hacked in less then 30mins.. it can be done.. however its not a big draw to the evil people out there that do this.. reason being 90% of the world uses windows OS.. the other 10% use mac.. who are you going to attack to make the most effect.. the 90% of the users with windows.. thats why everything you see is windows related.. majority rules..

my 2 cents.. we can agree.. :lol: 

now back to vinyl discussion ok :-X

Dave

... If you know anything much about how you GET a virus and don't do stupid things,then you won't get one. But the fact remains..without Active -X, you are safer.

Yes-

a MAC is no more secure than a :PC...just so few of them by comparison that there aren't that many Virus out there for them.But there will be.

My college room mate who is a programmer for IBM and nhas spent gthe last 15 years writing security software,says Opera is the way to go,security wise.Until he tells me differently, I'll stick with Opera.

I use IE 7

Any of you computer gurus ever heard of a virus that blocks you from logging on to email sites, or sites that need you to login to, such as Hotmail, or Yahoo, or eBay? I can browse anywhere else, and I can get to eBay's main page, just as I can with Hotmail and Yahoo, but when I try to login with my info., the page can not be displayed. Happening at home, probably because the gf likes to download all kinds of crap via Limewire- and Limewire is the devil.

:lol:

Oh, and so far I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE, tried Mozilla, and still no luck. AVG anti-virus does not find much.