maverick5754

Money maker for small sign shops

Big Kid...not sure where your place is...but...the link I gave for the benches has FREE shipping!..I have one bench that has been outside in 100+ temps...HEAVY rains...direct sunlight...and several storms. The Krylon has held up PERFECTLY so far. Just be sure to coat ALL the exposed wood and vinyl with the krylon. The paint works good sealing the 2x4 's and 6's. If you need to change an ad out...simply peel off the old ad and put the new ad on and re-seal with Krylon. So far guys...(fingers crossed) I have had ZERO problems with any bench. :thumbsup:

Thats good to hear Maverick, thanks ;D  It's nice that the krylon will seal it, but let you remove and re-apply the vinyl.  I'm not looking for this to be a business ventur for me, but making a little $ with side jobs would be nice to help pay for more supplies :P

I'm at the place where guys don't like to ship to.  They say "shipping to the lower 48", so NOT to Hawaii.  It's alomst liek we all have mad cow over here or something  :P :P :P...nah.  Seriously though, Hawaii is a GREAT place to live and play.  We just get ripped for shipping ;D , and everything needs to be shipped here ;D  The store you get your bench ends from is likely using fedex or ups.  Thats probably why they say it'll cost me an extra $50 in just S&H to get them shipped to me.  part of the price of paradise.......

Has anyone ever seen these thigns at Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Wart?

Big-Kid I know how you feel on the whole shipping issue I used to live in Kansas where I never gave shipping a thought But since I moved To Vancouver Island BC Canada Just about everything I order has to come from the states then it cost me tripple what shipping should be and that is if they will even send to canada its crazy. I ordered some plastic pods for paintball once cost me $30 for the pods and $15-$20 for shipping the probably only wieghed 5lbs when ups dropped them off they gave me a bill for $40 extra

Big-Kid I know how you feel on the whole shipping issue I used to live in Kansas where I never gave shipping a thought But since I moved To Vancouver Island BC Canada Just about everything I order has to come from the states then it cost me tripple what shipping should be and that is if they will even send to canada its crazy. I ordered some plastic pods for paintball once cost me $30 for the pods and $15-$20 for shipping the probably only wieghed 5lbs when ups dropped them off they gave me a bill for $40 extra

what kinda marker do you shoot? i am shooting an angel A1 black with chrome accents

what kinda marker do you shoot? i am shooting an angel A1 black with chrome accents

right now nothing I sold my marker.  It was a custom Ion that I built from all aftermarket parts. was pretty sweet.  I'm hoping to get back into it in the next year or so but it will probably be bush ball then so i'll probably get a bt4 assault and trick it out

As glad as I am to have been able to help with this bench ad idea, there is one thing about them that everyone seems to be overlooking. Not only do you make great money selling ads, but, if your ad is placed in the center square, you have just tapped into serious advertising for YOUR business. I have had NUMEROUS jobs as a result of people seeing MY ad on the benches. 3 new customers today alone that saw and liked my work. 2 wanted an ad as well and one wanted a banner made. Guess it's time to order ANOTHER bench!

Anyone know anything about liability issues? I talked to a guy about placing a bench on his lot and he asked if I had liability insurance. I had thought about this, but assumed that if it's on his lot, his insurance would cover it. He mentioned that it may, but since he's not the owner of the bench, it may not be covered... ?

If no one knows, I'll be talking to insurance people and lawyers regarding the issue tomorrow, and I'll post my results. Always cover your butt! It doesnt matter if you make a grand a year off these things if someone busts their head on it falling off of it and sues you for all you're worth!

Not sure about the legal issues, but, where I am from if a man falls off a park bench he is usally drunk and not thinking about sueing anyone....LOL...God Bless small town Americana! It is a good question though.

I've been on the phone with insurance people and lawyers all day and they all have recommended liability insurance. The problem I have isn't with drunkards, it's with small children that play on it and break their leg and the parents that want compensation. Sad to say we Americans have created a world where people can sue for anything including spilling hot coffee on ourselves and being ignorant enough to think it wouldn't burn us (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case). Any business should have liability insurance anyway, but it depends on the insurance company whether or not that general coverage will cover these ad benches. You'll need to contact your insurance company to see if these apply.

Apparently, an ad bench is different if you own it and advertise your own services vs. if you own it and charge others for ad space. I'm waiting to hear back from one of my insurance guys to see if I can get a pretty inexpensive policy to cover the business (out of my home) and some benches. He said the part that might throw the policy for a loop is that I am selling ad-space.

As far as legal issues, anyone attempting this may call their local public works department to see about zoning issues too... I know in some cities around the US there are strict guidelines regarding advertising!

Great idea though! ;D

Your standard business liability insurance should cover the benches as well, depending on the company and your coverage of course.

GREAT IDEA! I'll have to get on this one right away here...Hopefully I can finally start to make some money...LOL ;)

Ha, tha is the Cranfords that I shop @. Maverick, did you move to Blytheville or something like that? I am going to take over your territory, Becky's burnt, and I think I I am going to do her window graphics for free.

This is an awesome idea! I remember being in southern Florida or Salt Lake City and seeing these type of advertising benches. My questions to you are - you approach a business and ask them to let you place one of these outside their stores, correct? Do you place their ad on the bench for them letting you do this, or is their advertising done at the bottom where it says customer appreciation bench provided by - X? Are the ads on the bench when you place it or do you add them after the bench is placed? How much maintenance would you venture to guess you do on the benches? Ok, I think that is all I have for now! Thanks for posting this up and giving us ideas on how to expand, I know I certainly appreciate the idea!

Great idea, TFS!! Could I also use your picture to "sell" the idea, I live in Virginia?  Appreciate all the details you provided also!