maverick5754

Money maker for small sign shops

I stumbled upon this great quick money maker (with the inspiration from my wife) that will turn dividends annually. The bench kit can be bought at this link (http://www.csnbenches.com/Finley-11x01-YR1001.html) for $54.00, use 2'x6' sheet smooth 1/2" plywood,($10.00) paint it to seal, ($15.00 per gallon), Painted 6' 2x4's ($20.00) add $20.00 worth of vinyl for a total of $120.00 per bench. The plywood runs $20.00 per sheet and can be used on 2 benches. The bench will hold 6 ads that are 11"x 22" or 4 11"x22" in ads with YOUR ad in the center as mine is taking up 2 center spots. Businesses will welcome having the benches at their store at NO COST to you or them as  a customer appreciation bench. On the front lower brace, put the stores name such as: COMPLIMENTS OF CRANFORDS SUPER FOODS. Solicite other businesses to have their ad placed on your bench for $200.00 per year and you maintain the benches. Thats a total of $1,080.00 per bench profit if you use all 6 spots. The ads sell like hot cakes if the bench is put in a high traffic area and you don't put similar businesses on the same bench.ie: 2 garages, hair salons...etc.

One more tip: If the bench is outside in the elements, use Krylon Crystal Clear spray paint (with no yellowing formula) and paint the letters to seal them to the board. Good Luck!

post-633-12986522114831_thumb.jpg

post-633-12986522132382_thumb.jpg

dude.... YES!!! Im going to get on that here in TX.. could be GOOOOOD money!

Keep in mind that I am in a small market. In larger cities, you could get as much as $500.00 per ad. Feel your customers out, what are they willing to pay? I have 3 of these out already and have requests for more.

What an outstanding idea, thanks for thinking about us...

There's a guy here who does the same thing with tables.  He provides them free to the mom and pop restaurants. 

He divides the table top into sections and puts ads on them.  Then they get a really thick layer of shellac to smooth them out.  He's been doing it for years.

Great idea Maverick

Can i use your pic to advertise in my area calgary ab?

geesh wild, where do you live?

Roughly, 10 city blocks North of Detroit, Michigan.

homey lives in da hood.

OMG Wild I use to live at 7 1/2 and Gratiot growing up...than moved to Sterling Heights, now I'm in Mid Michigan.

Oh I know it has......Detroit use to be a beautiful city!!

I went by my old house in 1992 and it still stood, definitely not in as good of shape and I heard now, it's burned down!!  :-

Wonderful idea, I'll definitely look into it in the near future.

You say you charge yearly, and also suggest using a krylon clear finish if the bench is outdoors, which made me wonder: How do you go about removing the old ads when their year is up? Do you just replace the whole piece of plywood?

Edit: Also, how do you go about marketing the available ad slots if you don't mind me asking?

EHovid,  The Krylon provides a thin layer that helps waterproof the vinyl and the wood. It is thin enough so that you can still raise the lettering and break the seal the Krylon provided. As far as marketing the blank spots...well..I have NEVER met a stranger. I just drop in at a business and tell them my product and simply ask if they want a spot on the bench. All they can say is no.

• Like 1

One more thing...keep a close tab on when you sold a particulare ad so that once that yearly renewal comes around you won't forget who paid what month..etc..

Thanks a ton for the tips, maverick. I'll most definitely be trying this out.

Wanted to give you guys a heads up that you canf ind these bench kits for $30 shipped on ebay

• Like 1

Here is another place to get them for $36 if you have a store near by. Banner John and I are fortunate to have one close.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307917_200307917

I've also thought about using plexiglass bolted down to the board so that it could easily be removed if need.

I'm seriously researching this project and have 3 locations lined up....Now all I need are customers.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the alternate sites to purchase these. If you guys make it big with these benches, please contact me for my address to send my commission check!..>LMAO!...Good Luck guys and gals!

Yah, you should get a small portion from everyone who follows your lead.  If you did, you may never need to do another bench again !....lol ;)  Rep for passing along th idea Maverick  ;)  I just wish we wouldn't get ripped so much on shipping to my house !  Maverick's place would charge me as much as those bench cost to ship it to me.  The second place said I need to check with them on actual S&H charges......that usualy speels trouble as well :thumbsup:

I'd be worried much about the same things as WildStyle.  While my neck of the woods probably won't be as rough, we've got our share of hooligans and kolohe kids running around the place.  I'd look at finding some place to chain it down and how to possible change parts that get damaged.  Perhaps making the back piece modular in 3 parts so it could be changed if damaged?  Or if a new sponsor needed to be swapped in. 

How well has the benches held up in the rain?  Does the Krylon do a good job of preventing water from damging the wood?  We do get our share of rain here  :thumbsup: