Guys,

Time to come out with a printer/cutter at as reasonable a value as the cutters are.

You guys would instantly RULE the budget printer/cutter market!

I have a Copam 24" arriving monday, but would have GLADLY paid twice as much for a printer/cutter.

It doesn't seem like it would be all that challenging to basically add a solvent inkjet to the mix.

If you guys come out with one, I'll be first in line. :(

We have looked into it. Marcus should comment, this is his ballpark.

I'd definitely buy the printer/cutter too. I can think of so many more possibilities...and I wouldn't have to layer my decals 4 times for 4 colors, lol. I don't have 15 grand to spend on a roland right now. Look into them!

I honestly do not see a printer/cutter coming over the near horizon.  There are only two manufacturers of such muchines, and they start in the $15,000 range.  The worst part about it is that these printers are subsidized by over-priced ink, so realistically, the price is much higher.

What I do see as a possibility is a cutter that can contour cut using registration marks.  Now, with that said, I would like to hear about peoples printing needs.  For indoor printing, I think that the HP, Canon, Epson wide format machines that start at about $3000 are a great value.  Of course, you pay an arm and a leg for ink with these.  There is also the option of Encad Nova and the knockoffs.  I have considered carrying these machines, and I think that I would be able to supply the really large models 60+ inches for about $1500.  These would be models that aren't locked to a certain ink, so ink could be had for as low as $30 / liter.  I don't know about the legality of selling these models in the US, but it would certainly be an option for those who are looking to print wide-format indoor graphics and then laminate (of course we would provide laminators too).

Of course, the aforementioned machines are of little use to those producing work for outdoors.  To really take your business to the net level, you really need to go with a solvent type printer.  I spent most of the last week looking at solvent printers and wondering if it was realistic for us to sell these via mail order without on-site service.  I would like to hear your opinions.  Is there a market for printers starting at $15,000?  What are your printing needs?

$15000 is quite steep for me... I dont know about anyone else, but thats alot of money...

The Refine series cutters that US Cutter cutters are an exceptional value, In my opinion, most people that purchase these machines are entry level sign makers and or hobbiests.  There are also those who use these machines as there primary cutter or back up cutter.

I would love to be able to purchase a solvent ink printer, but in all actuallity, I cant afford that right now... However, If i could afford it, there would be some things that I would look for. Warranty, A reputable name, (no fly by night operations, for parts, service, etc.) and a good supplier that could provide me the correct ink, (if it takes special ink)...

Maybe as business progresses, I would be able to purchase these types of printer plotters, but untill then, Vinyl cutting is just going to have to do.

I think the seperate printer, and a plotter that would be able to contour cut would be a wise choice.  Even tho you have to print, laminate, then relaod cut then weed... It would broden the horizions for most sign makers to make more money to maybe one day buy a 15000 solvent ink printer...