Sign in to follow this  
Matt.S

possible burnt out motor?

hello. first time posting, this seems like the place.

i have a refine mh721, not purchased from this site. and a little while ago it just stopped working. when i turn on the switch it makes a sort of grinding noise, and the blade(box) will not move. ive opened it up and it all "looks" good inside, wires solders etc. im thinking the motor is faulty though. anyone had this kind of problem before, or think they might know what it is???

please help before i buy a new cutter. thank you.

When the unit is turned off, can you move the carriage from one end to the other freely by hand?

Guest fivestar

You're not suppose to be able to move it when it's turned on unless you force it.  Move it to the middle of the cutter when it's turned off and then turn it on and see if it moves over to the side by itself.  If it does try a test cut and see what it does.

just tried putting it in the centre, still does the same thing, no matter where it starts from :huh:

Possible motor issue, or the motherboard failing to send the signal to the motor.

possible to get parts for these cutters? any links to the sites plz. thanks a lot

thanks for that. other then the motor and mainboard. is there anything else it could be??

A while back someone had posted soemthing about a belt being loose and gears that were grinding. I don't remember when or who it was though.

Is the grinding in the carriage for the cutter or for the rollers for the vinyl?

I would actually have to see what it is doing to give you my best guess. I am still leaning towards a motherboard issue though. Seldom has any user had to replace a motor.

just thinking also on the LCD panel, and key pad on the side, the lights that first come on, reset and whatever. sort of flicker.. kinda like its freezing maybe? if that helps at all. ty

The only light that should come on when you fire up the MH series cutter, is the red reset light. If you have any others coming on, it is definately a mainboard issue.

well looks like ill buy a mainboard. hope that fixes it. are they hard to install? doesnt look it

well looks like ill buy a mainboard. hope that fixes it. are they hard to install? doesnt look it

Naw, piece of cake.

i see theres 2 mainboard assemblies, one with usb port, and serial etc. which one is more suited? ill be using a laptop and it looks to have a serial. but im unsure which board. ty.

Remove the right side casing and if you see a little I/O circuit board with a flat grey ribbon cable plugged in to it, you need the model GJQ motherboard. If you see a main board with a fan and the output connection ON the main board, then you need version Square USB.