Sign in to follow this  
gm2k8

what do u use to cut vinyl? paper trimmers? razor?

just looking for ideas.. i saw the nice looking home made app tape holders.. so i was wondering what do you use for trimming the vinyl?

Guest fivestar

Cheap olfa knives is what I use.  I've got about 100 of them I got off someone.

A good sharp pair of scissors, or a straight edge and razor....depends on how exact I have to be.

I stole a rotary cutter from my wife - she does a lot of sewing.

I also stole one of her cutting mats. 

Please don't tell her as she will kill me  :huh:

Just kidding

the rotary cutter and mat work great!

lol Smallsigns.. i could probably find one in my wife's sewing supplies.. i totally forgot about that.. SHHHH.. dont tell her.. she wont know  :huh:

Trust me gm -- she will know - they ALWAYS know when we do something wrong!!

She finally got me my own cutter and gave me one of her old mats to use, of course it was just an excuse to buy a new one for her!

Wives - gotta love em cos the state says you can't legally shot them!  :lol:

Guest fivestar

My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me. 

At least that's what she tells me every day.  :huh::lol::D

So I searched thru the topics looking for some insight and found this one.  :thumbsup:

I'm looking into buying a 24"+ rotary trimmer for cutting straight edges on finished vinyl jobs. I have a guillotine style cutter that I use on anything smaller than about 14", and then also a pizza cutter with straight edge (I usually screw that up though ;D) but I'm thinking that I want to get a rotary style cutter that I can clamp the finished product to and cut and exact straight line. I've had some customers complain a little about my finish work (vinyl graphic is cut right, but they had trouble installing cause the xfer tape was applied crooked, etc... :thumbsup: I just politely mention something about operator error...)

So my Google search led me to eBay, and this is what I'm thinkin (ie:this was the cheapest)... any input good or bad? http://cgi.ebay.com/TallyGenicom-Rotary-Paper-Trimmer-24-Long-GrayOrange_W0QQitemZ180389215882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a0008fe8a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1934wt_958

Guest round2racing

I use a medical scalpel

I bet I know where you get those.

Same place I used to get cartoon band-aids for the kids......

(retired paramedic)

This is what I use. Its a Fiskars 24-inch Craft & Quilting Cutte. It lays on top of the decals, and you can line it up using the see through ruler. Then Press down and push across, the rotary cutter cuts right though it. I found it on sale at wally world for $24. It will cut 5 to 6 layers no problem and the replacement blades are cheap. It came with two and I haven't worn out one yet.

product_craft_cutter.jpg

Other than that I use Scissors on the big stuff.

Kevin