Sign in to follow this  
gm2k8

help a newbie.. vinyl questions

well finally ordered a laserpoint.. i was looking on ebay for vinyl to practice with and saw a lot of vinyl with the description "CALENDERED WHITE"  what does that mean?  ;D

also.. are there any recommended ebay sellers that you guys use?

I dont want a big supply just yet.. i want to learn before I really order a bunch of colors.. i was thinking stick with white so i can play around with some logos for my car windows to advertise my business.. any help greatly appreciated..

already sent in orders for free samples at a few sites..

http://www.signindustry.com/vinyl/articles/2005-07-01-Avery-CastVsCalendered.php3

That site will give you all the information you need regarding

your question about calendered vinyls..

For material from 1 yard, 10, or 50 Fellers has it all and have

local distributers in most of the major cities in the US. 

Website - http://www.fellers.com

I would recommend steering clear of eBay for material.. the

mark up is VERY high.  Check out my website for samples and

ideas for design.. if you need help just shout!!

Cody Wilcox

SynFX Advertising Co.

http://synfxonline.com

thanks.. i will bookmark those pages and read them thoroughly.. i cannot wait.. we have a baby coming and i want to make some barn type scenes with the cutter to decorate the wall.. ;D  just put the crib together today..

aug 28th ;D  my wife is a bout to pop she says.. turkey almost done lol so its coming up soon.. i was just looking for some barn type clipart i can convert with inkscape heh

i want to make some barn type scenes with the cutter to decorate the wall..

You might want to try Oracle 631.  It's designed for interior use.  It has a matte finish and can be removed for up to a couple of years.  Most of the other vinyls have stronger adhesives and are shiny.

You might also want to google wall words, wall sayings, etc. You can get a lot of ideas for wall art.

Congratulations and good luck to all with your newbie babies.

Wee John.

thanks.. ;D 

i need to order some vinyl and app tape.. anything else i should have on hand before i start learning/cutting?

also where is a good place to get oracle 631? i looked on fellers but i cant get prices.. i tried to call but it was a weekend so they are closed.. ;D i will try tomorrow

I'm having trouble finding prices for vinyl on the fellers website. There's a location about an hour away from me- I'd like to know what I'm looking at spending before I make the treck out there (I know it doesn't seem far...but it's the gas that I'm  more concerned about) any help would be great. Thanks!

lexi

I get all my 631 from SignWarehouse, best price I've found, a lot of people HATE SW, but I've had pretty good service from them, and Oracal 631 is what you want for your interior walls. Congrats on the baby!!