Sign in to follow this  
Rodger

sliding glass door tint ???

Hi , Any advice on window tint for my Mom's house slider ? I want to stop the heat . From what I've read , reflective stops the heat best ?

thanks , Rodger

Any tint that has an E reflective coating should help.  Let's light in while keeping the heat and UV out.

Guest Schramm

I use Solyx Ultrabock 35

Here are the specs:

*  Visable Light Transmitted - 35%

*  Ultraviolet rejected - 98%

*  Infra red rejected - 45%

*  Solar Energy absorbed - 53%

*  U Value - .95

*  Shading Coefficient - .48

*  Reflectance - 12%

TOTAL SOLAR ENERGY REJECTED - 62%

I have been doing this for about 1 year and I have had many customers tell me the true savings in their energy bill is about 12%, so in about 3 years it basically pays for itself in energy savings.  Now that is on a total house, but you will notice a ton of difference in just shading with this solar film just covering the slider.  I have it on mine and before I stood by it and could actually start sweating in an air conditioned house and now on hotter days I dont even notice any heat at all.

Thanks for the reply . I'll find out where to buy that & give it a try . I figure wet it alot.. ( I have never done any large decals & have never done window tint )

regards , Rodger

Guest Schramm

Solyx website www.decorativefilm.com, watch how much you wet it because may effect the edges until it starts to dry.  Also make sure that you do not apply it in direct sunlight as it will cause the fluid to dryout too fast.  It really isnt hard but it make a huge difference.  I like the Ultrablock 35 and have it in my own home.  I have a couple customers that say that they have noticed as much as a 20% discount in there energy bill but the average is 12% which is still amazing here in Florida where the sun is on us most of the day!!!

Thinking about it, the average job doing all windows is about $1200 here in Florida, the average electric bill from running the air is $225-$300 on the normal 1800 sf home.  That is about $24 - $32 a month in savings so the homeowner actually has paid for this installation in fuel savings in 4 years.  I rent a 2 story house here and I did this house with 35% film and I have noticed about a 12% savings.  It may seem nuts to do a rental home but really if I stay here 1 year I actually save $200 off the electric bill that I do not have to pay.

Rob

Guest sciondrgn

Tinting the home windows is an awesome thing to do. I tinted our Porches windows plus the door, In total it was 8 double piece windows and a door with two pieces of glass in it. I used a mirror tint film and it turned out great!

I definitely plan on tinting the windows when we move South!!

Thanks for the link and all the info.

Hmmm , Looking at the prices for the tint ... I think i would be better off measuring & buying the tint cut . Anybody interested ?

regards , Rodger

Guest sciondrgn

Hmmm , Looking at the prices for the tint ... I think i would be better off measuring & buying the tint cut . Anybody interested ?

regards , Rodger

Depending on the size and since your only doing a sliding door just run to lowes/home depot and pick up a roll there as well as you can get car window tint which is what i used from PepBoys/Advanced AutoParts/AutoZone or your neighborhood parts store,

If I remember right it was $12 for a roll and I got 4 regular sized windows done with that much.

Guest Schramm

Where did you get rolls of tint for $12?  I buy from Solyx and the cost is about $200 a roll for UltraBlock but they are 60"w x 100'l and cost me $.53 per sf.  I have been charging about $10 per sf to do windows and have beat the compitition by $2-4 per sf.  Problem there just is not enough of it.

regards , Rodger

Depending on the size and since your only doing a sliding door just run to lowes/home depot and pick up a roll there as well as you can get car window tint which is what i used from PepBoys/Advanced AutoParts/AutoZone or your neighborhood parts store,

If I remember right it was $12 for a roll and I got 4 regular sized windows done with that much.

Thank you & everybodyfor the advice :) , Rodger

I am not sure I would window tint. I have tried it a couple times and the tinting always seems to peel off. I would just get a new patio door where you don't need the tinting and it still keeps your doors energy efficient. I found some good prices at conservation construction of dallas. 

Pretty sure after 11 years they got it worked out.

Nice plug for your company. Maybe ship out a bunch samples for us to test!

• Like 2