Sign in to follow this  
polarkiss

OK a sign question for the sign crowd...

So here is the story:

I ordered 2 signs for my business about a week before I ordered my cutter.

I finally picked them up today (yes about 3 months wait time!).

Paid $605 for a 3'x5' MDO and a 1'x2' MDO.

I am very disapointed in the quality. 

After having a cutter to work with for only 3 months, all of the "mysteriousness" is gone from sign-making. I KNOW for a fact I could have done a better job on these signs with my limited experience.  There is vinyl peeling and bubbling, and large over-splatter on the lettering, I asked for gradient and it is evident he used a rattle-can and not an airbrush... 

Of course I can't take them back, and I am not a bitcher by nature either... but I guess I expected more. 

Am I overthinking this - since they will be seen from far away?  Any input is appreciated.  I will grab my camera for pics to post tomorrow.

Did you get a kiss with that?

You sure got s_cre_ed.

That should have not run more than $150.00 at the most. I'm not making you feel any better and we learn by life's mistakes.

Shopping around should have been your first priority. I have been beat out of so much money I shudder when I think about it.

I would certainly make an effort to get my money back and if this person has a shop you can make things uncomfortable for them either with the better Business Bureau or the Small Claims Court.

I have been to the SCC no less than 10 times, won every case and never collected a dime.

Sorry about your loss. We learn by our mistakes and they can get pretty expensive sometimes.

Hell, I started with nothing and still have most of it left.  ;D

Not sure what I would have charged without seeing the layout. With that said...

Some people have no conscience Or ethics. Always trying to make the most profit with no regard for quality or customer satisfaction. Keep in mind that "word of mouth is a very powerful tool". Good or bad... my 2cts

BTW that doesn't sound like MDO. Properly painted it won't bubble or peel. It does sound like a regular piece of plywood with no primer and if it was painted with a spray can it does the way you described.

What happens is the heat from the sun activates the sap in the wood and it will bubble and peel like that.

I used to let the customer bring in their own material and they would foul it up like that. I would have to eat it.

No more, I do it all or not at all.

Let someone else suck that hind ninny.

I agree about the MDO. You need to be careful who you buy from too. There's a lot of garbage out there being passed off as higher grade. Home Depot is a good example for this!

I will try to post pics tomorrow, so you sign guys can tell me if my expectations were to high.

I'm not sure if it is MDO, but it looks like plywood - but it is much lighter.  The surface paint is not bubbling, it is the vinyl that is not sticking to it well.  I reached over and pulled a loose strip of vinyl that was dangling off of it right when I got it to my shop.  At least I can repair it.  (Thank you US Cutter)

The deal-io is that there are only 2 sign shops in town.  And I do the print work for both of them.  So naturally I support local businesses that support me. Both have 2-3 month waits, and this guy was CHEAPER than the other guy.  And they have both been in business for 20+ years.  In an incredibly small community it would not behove me to piss this guy off, as he sends work my way.

I am only hoping to God that when I hang them out in the weather that they will hold up to Alaskan weather. 

*sigh* live and learn.

I am sorry for ur mishap.  I had no idea what MDO is so i searched and got this definition:

"Originally developed for sign painting and concrete formwork industries, MDO is also used for other applications as a paintable surface.

It is a plywood product, with a paper face overlaid on the plywood substrate with an exterior grade (usually) phenolic adhesive. MDO is designed to have a smooth paint receptive surface. One or both faces can be faced with paper, and is found in 4' x 8' sheets from 3/8" to over an inch in thickness. MDO is used for short term signs. MDO is not recommended for permanent sign faces because it is susceptible to Warping, Water log, Mold Etc."

Im almost wondering...with the weather and temperature there in Alaska, it might have also been a factor in the warping.  A colleague is in Anchorage with his family right now and he says its cold there....

I hope if anything, they will fix it for you. 

Oh I just got the sign yesterday. 

It is still sitting inside a warehouse, and has not seen any weather, nor the light of day.

I don't think weather is a factor in this poor craftsmanship.

M-D-O means medium density overlay and it most certainly is recommended for sign usage. Even the highway signs here are made out of it. Any GOOD sign shop uses it although I am now using factory aluminum all I can. It comes precoated as long as you can use white.

The price is about the same.

Bet cha didn't know aluminum doesn't need a primer but it had better be clean.

Slop is 100% correct. IT is used for outdoor signage by many states,including mine.

Slop is 100% correct. IT is used for outdoor signage by many states,including mine.

Gee it's hard to be humble when your perfect.  ;D

come on,Slop...you're just like me..old enough,and been at it long enough...you are bound to have learned something. ;D

Oh I just got the sign yesterday. 

It is still sitting inside a warehouse, and has not seen any weather, nor the light of day.

I don't think weather is a factor in this poor craftsmanship.

Well..one thing i have learned in any business, if there is a doubt, show them.  I would just goto them with the sign and say..."this is what i got.  Do you think there is anything wrong?"  Let him point out the faults and further enforce it's less than adequate job.  If he takes a blind eye and says it looks fine, then i wouldn't want to deal with him in the future anyway.  Stick to your guns.  You know it isn't up to par...get what you paid for..nothing less.

here are the pics finally - 4 examples of the spatters, wrinkles and weird cuts out of the design.

The overall sign doesnt look bad from far away, just looks horrible close up.

post-2248-12986521870002_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986521870587_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986521882917_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986521883391_thumb.jpg

not as bad as I expected,really. The orange on the sun looks intentional...it might be the only way he could get that effect..or knew how. That one wrinkle on the blue...looks like you could just press it down with your thumb. The incomplete cut is hard to tell exactly where it is but if it's in the mountain graphic, it could be the way it vectorized...

I'd take it back,point all that out,either ask him to fix or see if he offers a partial refund.If it looks good from 3 feet away...I'd just let it go. I still think you were charged a bit too much but I would also think that in Alaska, things are higher than here.

wow.. i expected garbage... reading down through the posts..

i would be happy with that.. I was mildly impressed..

The sign needs to go back. either for a refund, or the opportunity to make it reasonably acceptable. Doesn't seem acceptable to me.

Late as usual

MDO is used for exterior signs, usually with a banding border around the material.  Most multi level parking garages hanging directional signs are 1" MDO with no banding as garages are considered interior.

They should fix or replace the sign, it would take that much to fix it and their rep would be saved...