Sign in to follow this  
Guest TracMatt

Computer help???? Anyone...

Guest TracMatt

I will check that out also.

thanks,

Tracee

Guest TracMatt

Fire I'm not sure that one would fit in my case the way things are set up.

I have another question though.  Is the power supply fan supposed to speed up and slow down as you utilize the computer?  My other computer just hummmed along and this one goes up and down and you can hear it doing it.  It is a thermaltake 500w power supply.

Thanks,

Tracee ;D

yes,it is. You should be able to hear it speed up as you use more cpu cycles.

Let me re-phrase that...your fan should speed up as it uses more CPU speed cycles...I'm not sure if it's the power supply fan or the CPU fan or even a case fan...I can hear mine speeding up but they are all so close together I really can't tell which one it is. But in any case, if you are hearing a fan speed up,that is as it should be.

Guest TracMatt

Thanks John,

That is exactly what it is doing.  I feel better now LOL.  I never heard the other one do that.  While you are answering questions I was wondering if you knew a reason why when I get on to a webpage like for instance this reply page, I will get to type maybe 1 letter and then the computer makes a noise like a snapping sound (like a popup being blocked or a page being opened) then I can't type anything for a few seconds or do anything at all?  I have run ad-aware and I have avg running.  There is no virus or adware that they picked up.  I run them everyday.  Any other ideas short of switching to mozilla firefox?

Thanks,

Tracee

You got me on that one. I never use IE or Mozilla Firefox, so I can't compare. I've heard of the 'popping' sound on all my computers from time to time...inh my case more like a champaigne cork. Never have figured out what it is,but it never affacts functionality.

You could DL the browser I use...Opera...and see if it happens...that would show if it's just an IE problem.

Opera,btw...is rated as the most secure browser out there by most ratings...and it has had features for years that IE and other browsers are just now getting and bragging about. IT's FAST too,and a small download. PLUS it has it's own email client built in..meaning you can have your email checked directly through Opera without having to open Outlook or go to a webpage.

Just a thought...troubleshooting PC's or anything else is just a matter of eliminating possibilities.

Guest TracMatt

I downloaded Opera and I am using it right now.  It is much different and going to take some time to get used to.  It is much faster though without all the bells and whistles.  Is there anyway to tranfer favorites from IE?

Tracee

To import bookmarks to Opera from other programs, go to File > Import and export and choose the program you want to import your bookmarks from. Now browse your way to the folder in which your bookmarks are located, and confirm to import.

I've never done it,been using Opera so long.

ONce you get used to Opera,you will love it. It does take some getting used to. All those bells and whistles are there, just not in your way unless you need them. For instance, you can set Opera to auto-complete with your name,address,etc...every web page you need to do it on. Thats one thing that saves me a lot of time.

Tell me anything that you are used to in IE that you can't do in Opera and I will tell you where it is.

Guest TracMatt

Thanks John.  I will keep all that in mind and probably be askin'  ;D

Tracee

one thing...Opera does NOT use 'active x' which means rarely you might need to use IE for a website. The good part is,'active x' is how you get most virus's. I haven't had a virus in 7 years.

I have another question though.  Is the power supply fan supposed to speed up and slow down as you utilize the computer?  My other computer just hummmed along and this one goes up and down and you can hear it doing it.  It is a thermaltake 500w power supply.

Computers are the dust and fur magnets. Unplug the power supply on your computer and remove the side panel. Inspect the cooling fan for fuzzballs. Inspect the heatsinc on your processor and look to see if the fins are clogged and matted with dust, etc.. If so then you are hearing the processor cooling fan overload trying to cool the processor down as it heats up while it is working. If this is the case you can quickly burn up a processor, so it's important that you clean it out.

If you have pets the problem will be magnified a bunch. Keep the inside clean and your computer will run better and live longer.  You can buy compressed air in cans at WalMarts and other places.

If this is not the problem I would get my favorite 'puter geek to have a look see ......

jus' my 2 cents .....