Sign in to follow this  
Guest TracMatt

Computer help???? Anyone...

Guest TracMatt

Had a computer built this year by a kid my daughter knows.  I wanted to help him out he was just starting out.  Seems he screwed me over pretty well.  I can't get him to help me out at all with problems I am having.

Does anyone know why when I am trying to burn a DVD the computer would shut down due to thermal overheating?:lol:

I know it's bad but I can't figure out why.

Getting some thermal compound today and going to reapply (if applied at all).

Thanks for any help what so ever.

Tracee

Guest fivestar

Why do you think it is overheating?  Is it giving you a error sound? 

Guest TracMatt

Hey Five,

No, it just shuts off.  When I restart it I get an error message that says it shut down due to thermal overheating and to push enter to start.

I actually have absolutely no idea why.  Just got this computer in April and it has done this on and off since getting it.  I have it in an airconditioned room with the side cover off right now.

Tracee

Guest fivestar

I'm sure you've checked, but is the CPU fan spinning while it is turned on?

Guest TracMatt

Yes as is the fan blowing out of the case in the back.

Tracee

I had the EXACT thing happen on one of my computers. I could not have ANYTHING else running or it would just shut down the second I pushed 'burn'.

Guest TracMatt

What did you do about it John?

I just paid $1000.00 to have this thing built with nice flat screen monitor and keyboard.  It supposedly has all the latest and greatest in it for graphics for my embroidery designs.

Tracee

I set up another computer to burn with.I have enough spares (about :thumbsup: that I don't spend time fooling with things like that. In your case,it could be anything,as small a thing as the thermal grease,or a fan that doesn't speed up when it should.

Just curious...how much memory in that comp? Burning a DVD is both CPU and memory intensive.

One thing I do...On my comp that I use the most..I take the side off,and stretch a piece of pantyhose across the side to improve air flow but keep out dust. I've always done that.

Of course,also in your case...it could be the burning software. I've always had problems with Roxio but never Nero but some people say just the opposite.

Guest TracMatt

Thanks Five.  I will download that and watch it. I downloaded everest but it doesn't do the temps of everything.

To John,

I was actually using dvdshrink when it happened.  It was still previewing the DVD.  I have used it tons of times on my 10 year old gateway with no problems.  Husband forgot the silver compound so I will head up and get some myself. Also the panty hose thing was a good idea.  2GB of memory in it.

Tracee

go back to the gateway for burning DVD's if it works for you. DVD shrink (as well as DVD decryptor) are both very CPU intensive. Your problem could be something very minor but VERY hard to trace down.

Of course,it could just be the thermal grease.

I have a  separate computer dedicated to Burning DVD's...one to downloading and listening to podcasts,music,torrents,etc...one each for both my cutters..and one for just watching DVD and streaming media.

No,I'm not rich...none of the computers cost me over $60.

Guest TracMatt

I have been thinking about dedicating the old gateway to digitizing and other stuff actually.  This new computer is faster but not half as reliable.  It does however have one of those new duo core processors, and I would have thought it wouldn't have heated up as fast as it did.

Thanks for the help,

Tracee

I don't think will fix your problem, but I've always had atleast one fan pulling fresh cool air in, and the rest pushing air out.

If infact, your processor is overheating, you could always go to the extreme of adding a liquid cooling system.  :lol: (probably an overkill though)

You need to make absolute sure that the not just the CPU fan is blowing, but that the heatsink has good contact with the processor. I had the heatsink start getting gaps between itself and the processor - the temp just sky rocketed.

Don't take a look at just the processor and case fan, take a good look at the power supply fan too. I come across a LOT of computers that are so dusty, or the setup sucks for proper ventilation and cooling.

Good luck.

Guest fivestar

If the file I sent you in the link doesn't show your processor temp then you could always reboot the machine and goin into the BIOS and check the temps in there.  Normally the "delete" key is the key that will let you into the BIOS.  Which kind of processor is it, AMD or Intel?  The new Intel heatshinks have that fricken "pushpin screw" thing that I think has to be a stupid idea, I have seen them things pop off and put a gap between the heatsink and processor like haumana said.  Check to make sure everything is seated good.  Also this may sound stupid, but make sure he took the plastic cover off the heatsink, I seen a friend do that once.  :lol: :laugh: :lol:

BTW, $1000.00 it better be one hellva system or the kid made some $$$$$.

You need to make absolute sure that the not just the CPU fan is blowing, but that the heatsink has good contact with the processor. I had the heatsink start getting gaps between itself and the processor - the temp just sky rocketed.

Don't take a look at just the processor and case fan, take a good look at the power supply fan too. I come across a LOT of computers that are so dusty, or the setup sucks for proper ventilation and cooling.

Good luck.

what she said...100% spot-on. I've seen many newbee comp builders ruin a CPU just by not applying enough thermal grease,and getting good contact.

Guest TracMatt

On the price I have all the receipts for it, everything came from newegg.com brand new.  All the parts came to $917.00 and I gave him the rest for doing it, although he asked to.  The processor is an Intell Duo-core 2.4.  I got some new thermal compound and as soon as I am done with this post I am going to take off the old and put on the new.  It has a 500w thermaltake power supply.  All the fans are blowing in the correct way I checked.  I will let you know how I make out.

Tracee

Guest fivestar

If it all came from newegg and the price was 917.00 then you've got a hellva system...... :lol::thumbsup::lol:

Make sure heatsink plastic screw clips are clipped into the mobo.  I hate those fricken things.

Guest TracMatt

Five,

You were dead on~! :thumbsup:  The heat sink and the fan were only hanging on by two of those plastic things.  Honesty I got it but I can't move the computer or they pop out.  There are two of them that just dont stay on.  I need a replacement, can you recommend one?  Preferrably from Newegg...I know nothing about this area.  Also there was a really thick glob of silver on the heat sink.  It was not completely covering it but just a glob in the middle that was thick and smushed.  I reapplied it by the instructions on the silver compound package after removing the old with iso alcohol.  So I would like to put in a different and new type of heat sink and fan.

Thanks for the help,

Tracee

Guest fivestar

Tracee they will "snap" into place.  You've got to push 'em in them twist 'em.  It's a b!tch but they'll go.  I honestly think that is one of Intel's worst ideas in quite some time.  I'm an AMD guy myself, but most people prefer Intel.  I've only ever used the stock 775 cpu heatsink and fans so I can't recommend any others, maybe someone on here can, but here's a link to all newegg sells. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574+1371026035&name=LGA775  Read some reviews on some of 'em and you could make a decision from that.

Guest TracMatt

Five,

I pushed really hard until they snapped in, then turned them to lock it.  As soon as I put in the others they would pop back out again even though they were locked in.  I agree very very bad design.  I looked on Newegg, but I don't know what is compatible with my system/processor or doesn't it matter for something like this?  Can you get any heatsink/fan?

Thanks for the help,

Tracee

Guest fivestar

You "should have a socket 775, that link I sent was for all socket 775 heatsink and fans, so any of those "should" work.

Guest TracMatt

Okay I am looking at them right now.  Do you think that bestbuy would have anything I could just go in and buy today?  I am heading to a family reunion and going to drive right by there.

Tracee

Guest fivestar

You could try them.  I honestly dunno if they carry them or not.  I'm about 100 miles away from the nearest bestbuy so I don't go there too often looking for puter parts.  Remember to tell them you're looking for a socket lga 775. 

Guest TracMatt

I looked on the website and they have nothing. I will order from newegg and it takes two days.

Tracee