Sign in to follow this  
ralais

Weeding?

Keep in mind that I am a major newbie before you cast any judgements about my lack of judgement...  ;D

I know weeding means to "seperate" the vinyl that you are using & the extras not used... but what tools do I need to buy to do this? 

I just got my cutter & vinyl this week... so far I haven't been able to open any images in SignBlazer to actually cut any so I haven't gotten that far.  I guess I thought I would use a tweezer (sp) & an x-acto knife... but I'm starting to think differently now by reading some of these posts.

I used x acto knives all this time. Many people use that. A few weeks ago I got some weeding tools. John sent them, they look like dentist tools. They are better for weeding I think.

JOe

Oh good... I guess I can stick with the x-acto knife for now. 

Well... if I can figure out how to cut something that is.

I will have to check hobby lobby... they may have those type of tools in the sculpting section.

I did the exacto thing for about a year then someone on here mentioned the dental pic.I bought a set and have never used an excacto for weeding since. You can get them at harbor freight,some auto parts stores,and yes,Hobby Loddy might have them. Sculptors use them.

The neat part is,after a bit of practice, you can pic even the smallest areas,remove,and go to the next area as fast as you can move your hand.

I'm a boardline germa-phobe so I actually have one of those for my teeth.  Do you know how much food is still stuck in your teeth even after brushing & using mouthwash.

*runs off to wash hands with bleech*

I'm a boardline germa-phobe so I actually have one of those for my teeth.  Do you know how much food is still stuck in your teeth even after brushing & using mouthwash.

*runs off to wash hands with bleech*

I do indeed, but the enzyme salivary amilayse in your mouth kills them. If they manage to slip through, one of the 4 stomach enzymes will get them. Can you tell that I have a lot of experience sitting in doctors waiting rooms?

ive got a harbor freight nearby so i thought id try these out.

93514.gif

not bad for $4.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93514

I have a HF just down the street and I buy those sets 2 at a time when they run them on sale. They also have grommets,btw,and the tools...if you run short and need some in a pinch.

A quality pair of tweezers sharpent to a pin point so far is the best method I found. Gives that stab n grab method. For very small cuts I agree to use the dental picks.  I quote " Practice, practice, practice"

Guest kenya

A quality pair of tweezers sharpent to a pin point so far is the best method I found. Gives that stab n grab method. For very small cuts I agree to use the dental picks.  I quote " Practice, practice, practice"

Yep Knobhill..... that works for me too.

When I bought all my stuff, I bought a weeding kit too. I have been using those tools, but I think I may have to order some of those dental tools. They seem to have finer points, may work better.

I do a LOT of weeding...tweezers are good but for sheer speed,the dental pics are the best for me. Tweezers are slow.

Just watched a weeding video.  The lady pulled/weeded a large sheet (24" X 36" perhaps) leaving LOTS of small letter.  Then went about process of picking (the insides of letters)with a pick.  I the picking was a good lesson for me but I could not understand how she pulled that large sheet off all those tiney letters. 

Have I been causing myself difficulty by having "weed all", "weed each copy", and  "easy weed" all turned on?  Looked like she pulled the whole sheet then took on the internal letter parts. 

Appreciate any tips

remember one thing when you watch a video...if it doesn't work right the first try,you make another video. I have lots of times been able to weed like that and lots of times NOT. It deopends on all kinds of factors...vinyl, settings,blade,etc.

That video is NOT an example of how it always SHOULD be, but of how sometimes it CAN be.

Now I wonder who on here will brag that he/she does it like that every single time?

i for one wont.  i still peel of line by line then go back and take out the centers.  its not the fastest but it sure gives me less headaches

we have a place called Smith & Edwards that carries alot of weird stuff and they have some of these and I use these all the time they are great only .99 each