Sign in to follow this  
samtheitguy

Newbee, New Cutter, New Everything...... From the UK

Hi all,

Its 1.45am and I cant sleep here because I know somewhere on a motorway my new cutter is on its way to my doorstep. Just thought I would introduce myself and ask the experts for any tips, tricks etc.

I purchased a Procut something on eBay which is apparently actually a MH721, and a load of different colour vinyls, blank banners, application tape etc. I had to go out and get a job in order to finance the purchase of the equipment so believe it or not, my first cuts are (hopefully) going to be towards signwriting two minibusses, 1 car and 2 banners.

Any advice for setting this up, I want to try Flexi sign pro to begin with so I have installed and designed the banners. This is going to sound like a really dumb question im sure, but the banners I have designed in Flexi have 4 colours in total. Should I create 4 'files', one for each colour, and cut them seperately or can I just tell flexi to only cut the red stuff for example?

Anyways, your forums are incredibly useful, informative, supportive and friendly and I hope to become a regular here. Keep up the good work guys!

Sam.

Guest fivestar

Sam when you go to cut the vinyl in flexi you'll see all the colours <-------spelling for our British friend ;D located on the right side.  You can do it a couple different ways, you can "right click" and then left the ones you don't want to cut and do it that way, or you can go into the options and tell it to "pause between colors" and it will cut the first color then pause and wait on you to load next color then you hit send button after you loaded the correct color.

A tip worth a million dollars (hypothetically.... of course.) Thank you very much.

It seems really silly that I am this excited, but the flexibility which this industry offers its patrons, is invaluable to me.

Thanks again, Sam

Guest fivestar

A tip worth a million dollars (hypothetically.... of course.) Thank you very much.

Hypothetically my @#$ I am sending you a bill.  ;D ;D ;D J/K.  It only took me about a week to figure it out.  You would of laughed at me and a friend if you'd seen how we was trying to do multicolored stuff.

You got the best program in the cutting industry with Flexi Sign PRO I know you paid a bundle for it too, ;D

Yeah, cost an arm and a leg. A small part of the right leg too if the wife finds out.

I really do want to try and avoid selling decals on eBay as the market is a little saturated, and whilst I know I could undercut them (im not profit driven at all) I just dont feel it worth while, So I am hoping to get more into the vehicle market.

None of the vehicle librarys seem to support british vehicles or older vehicles (such as the volvo 940 estate - classic) so im going to have to go back to a good old tape measure i think for those.

Should I use this MH721 on USB or Serial or LPT, luckily I still have all three!

Guest fivestar

Serial is what I would use, USB has issues and parallel I haven't tried.  Simple as can be, use the roland PNC 1100 driver for it as there is no "Refine" driver.  The PNC 1100 driver is the best one I found, also there is a "show me" button there that will show you exactly how much vinyl you'll use for the job.  It's hard to explain what exactly it does, but just load the vinyl up and click that button when you're ready to cut something and you'll see what I am talking about.

As for the vehicles, someone on here, can't remember who it was now, thinking maybe Terry.  Told me a little trick, take a pic of the vehicle and measure the length it.  Then put the pic into your graphics program and crop it from bumper to bumper and then resize it to the size of the measurement.  Then put the graphics on there and you're ready to cut.

Welcome Sam from fellow Brit and fellow Newbie.

Wee John.

Sam I bought the Refine MH 721 and loved it so much I decided to sell it (at a profit of course) and upgrade to the P-Cut. Not so sure if it really was an upgrade, I miss my refine. I was thinking of buying a Refine and sending it to my sister in Glasgow, I'm living in California. Let me know how your Refine arrived because the boxes are not as strong as they could be.

Wee John.

Guest fivestar

Yes wee john I actually had a refine got a laserpoint, liked the refine better and sold the laserpoint (for a profit) and bought another refine.  Those machines are unreal for the price.

Glad you're enjoying it Sam, you got a good deal, there is no way you can buy one and ship it from Ca. for less than

Welcome to the forum, Sam. Looks like you have already gained some insight and there's a ton more where that came from. Good group of folks all willing and ready to help at any time.